Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Default "primativeish weapons"

In the begining!
There was a rifle big game hunting season. Then bow hunting which had been around for some time began to gain in popularity with Albertians. Other areas probably had "bow seasons". Not sure who did the lobbying but a "bow season"(archery season) came into being in Alberta. I remember in the early bow seasons you got an extra tag when you bought the bow licence to use on any bow killed animal. (that disapeared probably because the rifle hunters didn't like it).

Now in other states and provinces there are seasons for muzzleloaders, crossbows are allowed in Archery seasons, there are Primative seasons where bows, muzzleloaders and crossbows are all allowed.

When ever there is a discussion about crossbows in the archery season one of the big arguments is that cross bows are not the same as verticle bows. I say so what they are not the same as rifles and so should be allowed in a season apart from rifles.

Muzzleloaders (even the so called modern inline ones) are different enough in my mind that they could have a bit of a season outside of the regular rifle season. A shared "primative weapons season" I thing would be a reasonable thing.(and remember just because thry advertize modern muzzleloaders as being good to 200 yards does not mean that every "black powder" hunter out there is using one of these)

Robin in Rocky.

I think that this is worth discussion in this forum and doesn't need to be moved to the Archery forum.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:32 PM

I prefer a "hunting " season all together, but areas like 248 that include suburbia offer bit of a snag in that regard.
Cat
Old 03-15-2008, 09:10 PM

I agree with catnthehat . . . blend the seasons together except when close to urban areas, this could easily be satisfied by within a certain distance from an urban area you could only use bow, crossbow and shotgun. Every special interest group does not need their own season. If each special interest group gets their own season there may end up with 6 or more seasons and no season of any length. Then the arguing would start when during the season would each weapon be used, eg; when the rut is on which weapon gets to be used then. These are the weapons that could ask for a special season: shotgun, 2 types of muzzleloader-modern and primative, 2 types of bow-compound and primative style (stick bows), crossbow and of course there would still be the rifle.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
In the begining!
There was a rifle big game hunting season. Then bow hunting which had been around for some time began to gain in popularity with Albertians. Other areas probably had "bow seasons". Not sure who did the lobbying but a "bow season"(archery season) came into being in Alberta. I remember in the early bow seasons you got an extra tag when you bought the bow licence to use on any bow killed animal. (that disapeared probably because the rifle hunters didn't like it)....
Lets re-write that:

In the beginning............there was no hunting "season;" animals were hunted anytime, people hunted by driving animals off of cliff into pits, stuck them with spears and later developed the bow and arrow, then came black powder and rifles...which when bound together (rifles and unregulated hunting), wildlife was decimated.............

Bowhunters are not taking away anything from rifle hunters. I suspect that when seasons evolved, rifle hunting wasn't happening in Aug/early Sep (for most animals) as it is for the archery season. Was the archery season tagged on to the left of the rifle season? More hunting opportunity if you pick up a bow........great! Blending everything into one big bowl from start to finish doesn't sit well with me. I'd like to see more hunting opportunity in Dec.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Gone Hunting

You couldnt have rifle hunters running around for 3 months every year in the souths open country. The game couldnt handle that kind of pressure and would be completely blown out of traditional cover and habitat. Thats why there is only thur, fri, sat, hunting in Nov as it is. In the north the rifle seasons start much earlier, and many folks make the trip yearly to enjoy these hunts already. I think the system is fine the way it is, though i wouldnt frown at crossbows in the regular archery seasons if that were implemented. I cant see that affecting any of todays existing bowhunters in the reg archery season. I could be mistaken though.....

keep a strain on er.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:17 AM

I hunt deer with all three types of tools: a modern scoped rifle, a traditional black powder rifle and a compound bow. I enjoy hunting with all three types of tools and make my tool choice based on what I want to hunt with on that day. I do not mind sharing my hunting turf with others who may make different choices.

I feel that safety should be a consideration when restricting the type of tool used. The 212 area around Calgary is and should be restricted to archery in the regular season and to archery, shotgun and muzzleloaders in the foothills season because of the heavy population, many buildings and proximity to the city.

The length of a season should be determined by a careful study of the game population.

As for crossbows in archery season, I am not going to weigh in on that one as I do not shoot a crossbow but I think that the argument against them would be similar to the one argued by a traditionsl black powder hunter against an inline rifle.

Richard
Old 03-16-2008, 09:10 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
just because thry advertize modern muzzleloaders as being good to 200 yards does not mean that every "black powder" hunter out there is using one of these)
But they have the option of using one.The regulations must take that into account.

And not every rifle hunter is using a center fire rifle capable of taking game at 200 yards.In fact many center fire hunters don't have the shooting skills to cleanly take game at 200 yards.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:41 PM

I prefer the old dead fall myself. If they open a special season for that you don't want to take any game trails.

Quote:
The game couldnt handle that kind of pressure and would be completely blown out of traditional cover and habitat. Thats why there is only thur, fri, sat, hunting in Nov as it is.
I may be wrong but I heard this year it's 4 days a week. Wed,Thurs,Fri and Sat for the 4 weeks.
It doesn't matter about cover and habitat the game is run out of that on opening day of Pheasant season. Every bit of cover is worked several times a day and most often with dogs.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Gone Hunting

For sure, the entire game changes that morning if your a bow hunter. If you dont capitalize on the big game before bird season opens, it gets even tougher. But because we have birds opening up in Oct, does that mean we should be rifle hunting big game as well?? I dont know the answers.....

keep a strain on er.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
I may be wrong but I heard this year it's 4 days a week. Wed,Thurs,Fri and Sat for the 4 weeks.
Morton suggested this would be the case during his speach at the AFGA Convention. Expect to see it in this year's hunting regs.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Morton suggested this would be the case during his speach at the AFGA Convention. Expect to see it in this year's hunting regs.
I also heard it was at the request of the guiding industry so their clients will feel they are getting their money's worth for days afield per dollars charged.
Again tied to the dreaded OSA and tag increases to guides.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Gone Hunting

I was of the understanding, that 3 days a week was the max so that these ungulates were not run completely all over hells half acre, and breeding/the rut was still able to take place. No matter what the circumstances surrounding a one day a week increase might be, i dont agree with it one bit. If that is indeed the driving force behind the one day increase, Morton is a hairlip. Seems these guys do more damage than good......

keep a strain on er.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Heard from who?
Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Gone Hunting

Thats a good question. This one has me mad. I tooka walk and got madder. If morton wants to increase oportunity, a one day increase isnt the way to do it. What when we have a bunch of does ever spring coming up dry. Real smart way of increasing herd size and increasing opportunity. This is November hunting we are talking about. These animals need cover. It can get cold. This isnt the northern boreal we have down here. They need a rest from the hunting pressure, if anything, knock it back to 2 days a week. Lets start thinking about the resource alittle bit here.

keep a strain on er.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 PM

Rob I heard about the extra day long before Morton let it out of the bag at the AFGA convention. When I get time I'll look back and find where I questioned that on one of the OSA threads. As for the guide info it came from a guide that wanted to hire me for a couples days several years ago and I find a little truth in most of what I'm hearing lately.

02-06-2008
bruceba Join Date: May 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just heard that the days afield will now include Wednesday making for a 4 day a week hunt in 108 which is just what the landowners need another day to contend with people asking permission. Or could be better business to have a client feel their getting their dollars worth per user days. I could be wrong, any one else hear this.

Last edited by bruceba; 03-16-2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added a copy of thread on 4 day week
Old 03-17-2008, 05:31 AM
Gone Hunting

I hear there is a sale on apple pie at the Co-op. I know for a fact that Morton likes apple pie and you can bet that outfitters do as well.

Any thoughts as to how this ties into OSA???

I could swear that I have heard resident hunters begging to have more hunting opportunity in the prairie zones. I bet way more will be happy about the extra days than complaining about them.

Woun't be long and spring bear season will be here. Not sure what I will use to hunt one, a muzzleloader or centerfire rifle? Haven't shot my bow nearly enough in the last few years to be using it yet.

Robin in Rocky
Old 03-17-2008, 07:41 AM

duffy4 I will go out on a limb and say that the bulk of resident hunters down south would be up for Sunday hunting as the extra day. Most of the thought process I've heard over the last couple years about an extra day stemmed from the bulk of people only being able to hunt on Saturday giving them a 4 day season.
As far as an extra day and the guiding industry. That just helps justify the high cost verses days afield with the extra day being again when most residents are at work. OSA will put over 130 plus tags into possible [read likely here] guide hands in 108 over a 5 year pilot.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 AM

Default Irony

Quote:
Woun't be long and spring bear season will be here. Not sure what I will use to hunt one, a muzzleloader or centerfire rifle? Haven't shot my bow nearly enough in the last few years to be using it yet.
The irony (sarcasm?) of that statement wasn't lost on me lol.

One species, one season, many weapon choices (even crossbows lol). If I were to go bear hunting on a baited stand I would use a bow for sure (I use a bow for eveything though). 20 yards or under (usually under) doesn't call for a lot of experience with a bow. Bear hunting with a bow is probably the best initiation into bow hunting......lots of time to study animals, lots of time to pick a spot, no rush to shoot at a moving animal....lots of incentives to make your first bow hunt, a bear bow hunt.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Gone Hunting

ehntr "The irony (sarcasm?) of that statement wasn't lost on me lol."

Actually there was no irony (sarcasum) intended. Not sure where you are reading between the lines but I assure you the statement was just straight forward and to the point.

That is a problem on this board, people look for or presume underlying ideas or meanings in much of what is posted.

The area I intend to hunt is a non-baiting area. So it is spot and stock or do some calling (or a combo). That is why I said i will probably not use the bow.

Robin in Rocky
Old 03-17-2008, 03:20 PM

OK. It's just a coincidence that your options on which tool you were going to use for your bear hunt are what some want to apply (to everything?). The bear season is the only season/big game animal that all those options exist simultaneously during the entire season. I didn't have to look too hard for what I was looking for....or what I thought was being said.................but you're right, I played up too many assumptions.

What does it really mean when I say "hello".........just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right.....sarcasm, does not work on the internet unless you use this guy right here . I will only recognize sarcasm in the future when it is followed by .

Have a great day Duffy