Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2008, 04:20 PM

Default Installing Vinyl Siding

Hey Guys,
I have a garage/shop that I need to have sided. Its a good size garage and I'm going to go with vinyl siding. Was thinking I'd just do it myself....just curious if anyone has any experience with the siding and if they could provide some insight on difficulty level of installing it.
I'm thinking it looks pretty basic, so long as measurements and cuts are done right, but wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has done it. I think if I decide to do it myself I'll end up running down to the US and getting it down there as I'm sure the price difference would be worth it (as with most building supplies right now it seems).
Anyways, comments appreciated....
Old 03-13-2008, 04:24 PM

Get my dad to do it next time he is here visiting. Seriously though I would grab one of those Home Depot Do-It-Yourself books, they are often pretty good.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:26 PM

Thats kinda what I thought....the book should explain it all and I'm sure its straight forward.....

Or I'll get your dad to do it...haha....
Old 03-13-2008, 04:52 PM

Rack,

It's incredibly simple to put up. The only trick is to not pound the nails all the way in - it'll buckle with the temperature changes if you do.

http://www.rona.ca/content/installin...n-construction
Old 03-13-2008, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the tip and the link...actually quite a few links out there to 'how-to' so I'm sure it wont be too hard....
Old 03-13-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Easy

LEGO is harder. Get the starter strip at the bottom level and it's a breeze. Easiest way to cut it clean is a skill saw. Put the blade in backwards, yes backwards and it does a beautiful job. Key things to remember
1. allow for 10-15% wasteage and most important
2. measure twice, cut once. Last thing you want to hear is that I cut that piece thee times and it's still too short!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Gone Hunting

That whole, measure twice, cut once thing is silly.....Just giver, whats the worst that could happen.

keep a strain on er.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:38 PM

Hi Trev.... give me a shout when you are ready to put it up, i have done quite a bit of siding in the past, I did our new house and it is still on after the winds we had the last few days, must of done something right I like to use waffer screws insted of ring nails though, and like what was said, do not screw it down to tight, the siding needed to be able to move ....
I also have all the tools you will need.... lets get'er done

Jim
Old 03-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Shrubs

I've only sided one house but the only goof I made (well that I know of) was putting the bottom of the soffit J on Level with the bottom of the fascia so when I met up with the front gable end the J was too high and wouldn't match up with the vinyl J. The top of the soffit J should be level with the fascia. If you had a hip roof it might not matter but I'm not sure.

Just something you might want to keep in mind
Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
Hi Trev.... give me a shout when you are ready to put it up, i have done quite a bit of siding in the past, I did our new house and it is still on after the winds we had the last few days, must of done something right I like to use waffer screws insted of ring nails though, and like what was said, do not screw it down to tight, the siding needed to be able to move ....
I also have all the tools you will need.... lets get'er done

Jim
Thanks Jim!! Going to price it out down south and will get back to ya...

PM on the way as well...
Old 03-13-2008, 08:38 PM

Default paper

Pay attention on how the paper is lapped. Minimum of 4 inches of lap is needed. Most people would be shocked at how far water can wick in silly directions. If the place is heated and has insulation stops in the truss spaces then the paper must go under the stops not up to. Most people but the paper up that far and as it is in the soffit line they call it good. BAD IDEA! If the place is heated, any moisture that gathers on the bottom of the roof sheathing may drip onto the insulation stop and run down the face of it. If the paper isn't lapped under it you have water running down the wall behind the paper and into the structure. Same goes for the corners. Make sure they are papered up higher than the heel of the trusses. Some of these problems take years to emerge as certain conditions have to happen. Things like wind driven rain from certain angles can blow water right through small tears in the paper.

I was a residential service tech for a good deal of time with 3 different builders. You would scratch your head at some of things you see in courses about this stuff.

PM me if you want any more advice.
Good Luck
Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 PM

trev and jim i would be willing to come out and help as well if i am around. i have never done it before but i would love to learn.....
Old 03-13-2008, 09:31 PM

You bet man....more than happy to have ya down when I do it...an extra set of hands is never a bad thing and always cool to learn something new....
Old 03-13-2008, 09:36 PM

yup and then hopefully you guys can hook me up with some good gopher fields hahaha....

what weekend are you thinking of doing it??
Old 03-13-2008, 09:52 PM

I've gotta price it out still.....took all my measurements today...I'm thinking in the next 3 weeks sometime maybe...all depends really...

I'll let ya know as soon as I know!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I've gotta price it out still.....took all my measurements today...I'm thinking in the next 3 weeks sometime maybe...all depends really...

I'll let ya know as soon as I know!

i will be gone easter weekend...but have time off after that...

pm me i guess...gotta warn ya though...i am no holmes on homes haha
Old 03-14-2008, 07:11 AM

hate it...
i lived on a acregae and did my shop/gargae in white vynil..every fall the flies would crawl in behind it and die..
every spring and all summer this black flie ooze would drip from the small vent holes and run down the side of the building.washing it would only make more ooze.

stucco is the only way
zero maint, somewhat fire resistant, all thou relatively expensive

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 AM

Roger.....

Good points on the siding....I'm doing the garage before we list our house sometime this spring though, so just looking to get it done and get it looking good on the real estate market.

But ya...good points on the vinyl siding vs stucco.....
Old 03-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
hate it...
i lived on a acregae and did my shop/gargae in white vynil..every fall the flies would crawl in behind it and die..
every spring and all summer this black flie ooze would drip from the small vent holes and run down the side of the building.washing it would only make more ooze.

stucco is the only way
zero maint, somewhat fire resistant, all thou relatively expensive
Yup , STUCCO , is the best.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:52 PM

i personally hate stucco (just from an aesthetic point of view only)...and i have never experienced fly ooze??.....maybe too much wind down here blows the buggers away hahaha
Old 03-15-2008, 12:28 PM

Use a plywood, or other fine tooth blade, put in backwards to cut it. Don't put it on in extremes of temperature, as it chips and cracks in the cold and is hard to handle when excessively warm. Also make sure you follow the expansion recomendations, since the stuff has a high co-efficient of expansion and it will look like hell after it warms up. Vinyl may be final, but stucco is a heck of a lot better but also way more expensive and you have to find someone to put it on, which isn't easy.
Grizz
Old 03-15-2008, 12:39 PM

Default have at'er

Definitely a project you can do yourself Rack, like anything else, a little research and reading will go a long way. Level and chalkline your starter strip, measure to top to judge (and plan) finish location, proper overlap, not too loose, and nails not all the way in about covers it. There is a little tool, sort of a handle with a hook for removing siding, buy one, they're under 5 bucks, then if by chance you're not happy with a piece, it's easy to remove it and adjust/replace it.
Common sense, patience, have fun. Always satisfying to sit back and enjoy a job well done.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:26 PM

Keep your snap lines (guides) level and straight, and let the panels float. Got to watch some of the cheaper grades out there as they will cup and joints tend to stand out.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:51 PM

Vinyl is cheap easy and quick for the do it yourselfer. If you have a hammer and a snips you can do it.