Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2008, 12:57 PM

Question ADVICE NEEDED: Truck/Tire/Wheel Setup

I need some advice.

I have a 1989 Dodge w100 318 5.2L V8 4by4 pickup which is and will be my daily driver. Bought it from the original owner with 103,000kms on it. She runs like a top except the factory leaf springs they put in stock are crap. As well, I am currently running stock (6.5 or 7 inch wide) 15 inch rims with 235/75/r15 BFG AT's on them.

Had an incident when they roatated my tires a year or so back and all my stock caps flew off when I was driving down the highway... needless to say I got a screaming deal on some new rims. I am thinking of going to a 16" 8" wide rim (has a negative 6 offset) because the rims and rubber are easier to get since most shops have more of them on hand. I could have went to a wider 15inch wheel but for overall avliability I think 16's give me more options. As well I want to put a beefier tire on since I am also putting a full 2inch skyjacker suspension lift in the truck (instead of just getting the stock springs replaced)

I am now looking at tire makes and sizes for this set-up. Max a guy can fit according to skyjacker is a 33inch 12.5wide piece of rubber on a 15-16inch all 10inch wide rim with a 4" backspace. I am looking not for the biggest tire but I am looking for the best overall set-up for mixed use and appeareance ( I also have flares on the truck for coverage)

What size and make of rubber and rim combo would you guys throw on based on your experience?

I am looking at either
285/75/r16 or 265/75/r16 in an all-terrain type tire...

Thanks for reading all this, hahah...
Old 03-13-2008, 04:10 PM

i would go 265-285/75.r15 if i were you there cheaper and can be found at the good majority of shops in alberta, hankook makes good tires along with bf goodrich the wranglers i think are a great tire
Old 03-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Afew of us sued wranglers on our company trucks a couple years ago......NOT very happy with them. I know we are hard on tires, but the most we got were about 12000km.
Hankooks are nice, as are b.f.g. all terain. I put yokohama geolanders ll's on my personal truck, no good for winter-too hard-will go back to b.f.g.'s.

archdlx...
Old 03-13-2008, 09:14 PM
stubblejumper

Bridgestone revos have done very well for me as an all season all terrain tire.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 PM

sorry D.T.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:44 PM

just say screw it and toss on a mud terrain tire
Old 03-13-2008, 10:36 PM

I do this for a living -- 15" tires are going to be cheaper and easy enough to get in a 33/1250r15 (sorry no 265 in the 15" unless you want a car tire and no 285's at all) but they are not as common as they once were -problably won't find one outside fo the city if you reck one hunting --- - your 265/75r16 will be quite a bit bigger and will look good with a two inch lift ---- 285/75r16 are giong to be just to big, your 318 won't have any power -- your rims will need to be 16x8 and the 265's will look the best --- 235/85r16 would be the most practical -- (a little taller and narrower). Mudd tires are great for hunting and fishing but do not last very long and are terrible on the ice -- the last 5 years the bfg all terrains have started to seperate when there is about 30 % tread left - your best bet is problably a general grabber at II or the Toyo open country , both of these will give you good traction in the snow or mud and will still give you what you need to drive around the city or up and done the highway --- most major tire manufacturers have rebates between April and June -- good luck
Old 03-16-2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks Fish...

After doing some diggin' as well I came to the conclusion that the 265's would be what I am looking for. I never looked at the 235/85's but now I might... same overall diam but little narrower, from what I read I am not sure if I can mount them on an 8 inch rim though...

Send me a PM and let me know where you are out of... always liek to support guys on the board.

Split...