Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Default PAL License

New Canadian here looking at getting my PAL. How hard are the tests, is it something I should study up on? Or is it mostly common sense? On hold with the 800 number to find out about it so thought I would ask here!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 AM

i just took the test awhile ago it wasn't hard lots of commensense stuff but i study up for a few weeks make sure u pay attention to what they are asking they try and trick u. the practical was prolly the hardest but as long as u take ur time and remeber the prove/acts thing they got u should pass
Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 AM

If you are familiar with firearms you will find the tests easy. There is a written part that is multiple choice and true / false questions, and also a practical part where you need to show that you can safely handle a firearm.

I would recommend getting a copy of the manual (you can download it from the internet, but I can't seem to find the link at the moment). Not that you probably need to study, but the tests are almost entirely based on the concepts of ACTS and PROVE, acronyms which are taught in the manuals. Learn ACTS and PROVE, and do them in your practical portion of the test, you will do fine.

You have the choice of challenging the test, or taking the course, both of which can be done here:

www.aheia.com

Here's the manuals. BTW, take your resticted course / test at the same time even if you don't plan on buying a handgun anytime soon.

http://www.likestuff.com/Non-Restric...y%20Course.pdf

http://www.likestuff.com/Restricted%...y%20Course.pdf

Last edited by Scott N; 03-13-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:06 PM

if you are familiar with firearms and how they operate etc..then study for an hour or so and challenge the test. it is easy..and cheaper to do it that way.

if you are unfamiliar with fire arms then it is worth it to take the class...imho
Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Not that you probably need to study, but the tests are almost entirely based on the concepts of ACTS and PROVE, acronyms which are taught in the manuals. Learn ACTS and PROVE, and do them in your practical portion of the test, you will do fine.
X2 Learn ACTS and PROVE and do them every time all the time exactly as instructed (make sure you can do it on any rifle/shotgun ie. double, auto, bolt, lever). The practical is the hardest because they can ding you so easily on the little stuff.

The written test is alot of common sense. No reason to fail that if you have any experience.

I wish i had challenged the test.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:15 PM

x2 to wishing i had challenged...wasted a weekend sitting in a tiny room with 13 other people......but oh well...could have been worse....i could have been at work instead!!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:35 AM

i coulda easily challenged as well but the few days of class were good even tho i had over 30 in my class. so i wouldnt say the course was a waste of time.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I would recommend getting a copy of the manual ....
the tests are almost entirely based on the concepts of ACTS and PROVE, acronyms which are taught in the manuals. Learn ACTS and PROVE, and do them in your practical portion of the test, you will do fine....
I challenged the test after studying the manual, reading it twice and jotting down the key points on small cards that I reviewed a few times. Always had problems remembering things through acronyms though, so I'll test my memory right here right now and see if others can correct my mistakes or fill in the blanks:

P. Point the muzzle in a safe direction.
R. Remove any cartridge(s) from the action (chamber and magazine).
O. Observe that the action is clear, including looking at the chamber and seeing or feeling the magazine follower.*
V. Verify that the feed path is clear by cycling the action.
E. Examine the barrel for any obstruction.

* the thoroughness of this step was new knowledge for me. For years, I mistakenly thought that removing cartridges that you could see and then cycling the action was enough.

A. Assess.... ?
C. Check to see if the firearm is loaded ?
T. Trigger control ?
S. See that it is unloaded ?

Can't remember much if anything about the ACTS. Doesn't it kinda duplicate the PROVE, only with the addition to keep your finger out of the trigger guard until such time as you are ready to shoot?

To me it all boils down to common sense:
1. always handle any firearm as if it were loaded.
2. muzzle control.
3. trigger control.
4. use the exact cartridge or shell the firearms is chambered for.
4. never assume anything, esp. if an unloaded firearm was out of your immediate control as someone may have handled it (loaded or obstructed the barrel).

The manual has its issues and annoyances. However, even though very experienced, I learned to improve my safe handling skills because of it. Overall, I feel the process is definitely worth having, and that as a result people will be less likely to cause death by AD or ND.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:07 AM

If you do apply for your PAL do NOT use the application currently found on the government website because, as I am finding out the hard way, it is not the most current form of the application and they will send it back and tell you to do it again...
Old 03-15-2008, 06:03 AM
Phantom

where do you get the current application from?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:30 AM

If you have hunted or used a firearm before I would purchase the manual at aheia, study these video's and challenge the exam.
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/safety-sur...se_video_e.asp

Alot of it is common sense but you should still study, you can't know enough about firearm safety.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:35 AM

Your local public library may have the book and videos too.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:54 AM
Phantom

Oh I took the test and challaeged it and got 98% on the practical and 100 on the written. I just never sent away the forms and there dated for last year so now I have to get new forms and that sticker that you put ion the back of a photo. then as soon as I find a job and get a little debt paid off im going to get a new gun. Iv used my lever action .308 for 7 years now lol.