Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 AM

Default finding sheds

just wondering where most folks have success finding sheds? i have never gone out looking for them and i think it might be kinda fun to take the dog along and just be out.....

so obviously i should be looking where deer are frequently seen right....but is it better to look in treed areas, river bottoms etc...any advice would be appreciated.

oh and if it makes a difference i am in the lethbridge area.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Banned

Just feelin punchy. I have done well in stands of poplar where there is alot of game trails. Once the snow starts to melt they show up. I guess you don't have much snow down there though i woukld think??
Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 AM

nope no snow......i would like to find a nice shed to finish a knife i am making for my dad...and it gives me an excuse to wander around the woods haha
Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 AM

look for where the deer are wintering around your area. I hunt down that way and am gonna head out for sheds soon, maybe in a couple weeks. PM me if you want to tag along.

Brett
Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 AM

i am thinking of driving out towards walters ranch(south west of lethbridge) and walking the coulee.....i always see a lot of deer out that way whenever i am driving on the highway.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:13 AM

Find where they are feeding then move out on their trails. Really watch the fence lines where they cross as this sometimes jars them loose. South east facing slopes on the hills usually bares off first and are feeding there. Bale yards and with some luck you should be away. You may want to ask your aunt for her lucky bingo charm.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:15 AM

haha thanks for the advice!!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:04 PM

I spend as much frre time as i can get looking for sheds.I don't find that many for how many miles I put on.I have already spent about 60 hours walking around this year and have only found 2 fresh sheds and old one and a skull.but there was lots of snow and the deer hadn't dropped yet i was just trying to pattern were the deer were hanging out.I also just use looking for sheds as an excuse for walking in the bush.the main thing for finding lots of sheds is small bush with high density of deer.when I first started I would look for the biggest area of trees and the biggest coulees.now i go for small bushes with high deer sign.worked good for me last year,I pulled 22 fresh sheds out of a bush that was about 400 yards by 100 yards.it had good trails with crop land all around it.I also look in ffeding bedding areas alot.the best way to find them is fallow deer trails and put on alot of miles.best of luck
Old 03-11-2008, 12:38 PM

I saw a herd of mules yesterday and the bucks were still packin'.

And I agree with spurs....check where they have been feeding the past month or so, the travel trails to and from, and especially fence crossings.

One of our party found a small moose shed last weekend while out sledding. But I found out later he left it. I''l slip over in my quad later and pick it up.

Last edited by Bushmaster; 03-11-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I spend as much frre time as i can get looking for sheds.I don't find that many for how many miles I put on.I have already spent about 60 hours walking around this year and have only found 2 fresh sheds and old one and a skull.but there was lots of snow and the deer hadn't dropped yet i was just trying to pattern were the deer were hanging out.I also just use looking for sheds as an excuse for walking in the bush.the main thing for finding lots of sheds is small bush with high density of deer.when I first started I would look for the biggest area of trees and the biggest coulees.now i go for small bushes with high deer sign.worked good for me last year,I pulled 22 fresh sheds out of a bush that was about 400 yards by 100 yards.it had good trails with crop land all around it.I also look in ffeding bedding areas alot.the best way to find them is fallow deer trails and put on alot of miles.best of luck

what do you do with all of them??
Old 03-11-2008, 04:53 PM

Small bushes close to a feeding area and the fields they are feeding on have been my best bets. I've never had much luck on fencelines, only finding a few and I've travelled lots of fencelines. Be prepared to do lots of walking in the bigger bush. Years with lots of snow herds the deer up and makes shedding easier but years with less snow means lots of seaching as the deer stay spread out. In my area deer were dropping as early as mid december this year so lots are under snow. Found my first antlers the first week of January.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:09 PM

if your in lethbridge then dont go out by hardyville u dont see that many buck only 130+wt and my 170nt wt, but u wont find them, im trying to beat every one to it and no luck so far, but i did find a scull (might not even be a legal fork horn and only one side)
Old 03-11-2008, 07:41 PM

i just need one side so i can make a knife handle....
Old 03-11-2008, 07:44 PM

I don't really do anything with them besides look at them and keep them in a pile.it is very addicting once you get on a good run.I like to hold them and remember them then if I see that same deer the next year there isn't as much ground shrinkage.lots look the same but alot of them have really different ties and you can tell them year after year.what do you plan to do with your antlers?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:46 PM

as i said in my post above...i really only need one good side to finish a knife i am making.....wanna donate a side? are you close to lethbridge?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:09 PM

hey made a run out to the shell upgrader today, and by were the railway tracks cross the road spoted a nice 4X4 whitetail buck. was shoked that he was still packen his antlers thought by now they would have shed them.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:48 PM

mules hold there antlers alot longer usually a month longer around here.found a couple more the other day.Clash,you need an antler?I think you should get out and try.it is a really good way to relax and get some exersize.don't get frusterated if you don't find any because it is really for the time out side.how big around is the antler you are requesting?all I have to give are white tails and they all have brow tines.can you just file the tine off?I take it it is just the burr and about six inches of the base you need right?what kind of knife did you make?let me know what you need and if I have one that size you can pm me your address and I will donate one antler to you shipping included.sound fair?let me know
Old 03-15-2008, 12:35 AM

went out tonight and looked but didn't find any. but i did get to take my dog, my niece (10) and my nephew(7) out to shoot their first .22 (and my brand new gun as of today!! woohoo) was a great time. we all had a blast being outside and looking for sheds. will be out again soon.

buckbrush thank you for your offer. that is mighty kind of you. i will pm you my info...i need about 4 inches from the spur....it is a smaller gentleman's companion belt knife i am making.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:52 PM

keep looking I have about a week before I could send it to you.if I cut about 6 inches off the end that would work?what kind of a gun did you buy?good job on getting the kids started young.not much better in my opinion.start them young with safety and a love for the out doors and there isn't much bad that could ever come from that.I will look through what i have and let you know what i come up with.sounds like you want something smaller diameter but straight does sound right?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:00 PM

Nice looking rifle Clash. Goin to scope it?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:42 PM

ok went through the pile and this is what i found to match what you requested in the pm for size and straightness.if it isn't let me know i will find something different for you

take your pick

just kidding those are just some small broken ones i forgot I had.

here are the ones I think might suit your needs.the two left of the coke can are the ones I thought would be best for you.

These ones are my favortie for size and special reasons.you can't have any of them.

let me know i will send it when i get some time away from work.