Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2021, 08:07 PM

Default Grouse with a 30-06

A question came up tonight… you can shoot grouse with a .22 or a shotgun.
I can’t find anything in the regs about other calibers?
Old 11-14-2021, 08:28 PM

Make sure its a head shot or you wont have nothing left for dinner.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:05 PM

You would use reduced loads

-Billy Molls
Old 11-14-2021, 11:01 PM

More suitable for shooting wascally wabbits.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:12 PM

Perfectly legal if that’s the question.

You shoot them in the head. I’ve shot plenty like that with everything up to a .338 win.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Perfectly legal if that’s the question.

You shoot them in the head. I’ve shot plenty like that with everything up to a .338 win.
That’s the question.

I usually use a Hammond game getter.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
That’s the question.

I usually use a Hammond game getter.
Yes. I use one. Rabbits or any small game up to 40 yards , used it to dispatch coyotes too. But the more you use it the more you had to clean your barrel.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2021, 10:10 AM

I’ve shot the heads off grouse with my .308 and 270wsm! Make sure it’s a headshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2021, 10:32 AM

From the time I was a kid, my Dad and I had a running competition for shooting grouse with our Big Game rifles and full bore loads. Head shots only, from 10 yards to as far as you wanted to risk your no-miss streak. You could shoot from any position you liked. Winner was most no misses with the farthest distance bird in the event of a tie. Absolutely great practice for shooting your big game rifle from a number of positions.

Now I use 3.5 grains of Trail Boss behind a .309 Hornady lead round ball, it is actually buckshot they sell in 5 LB boxes, loaded into a 308 case. Subsonic, very accurate, easy to drop into the chamber and way less fiddly than using the Hammond gamegetter, which I also have in multiple cartridges, including 7 RUM.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
From the time I was a kid, my Dad and I had a running competition for shooting grouse with our Big Game rifles and full bore loads. Head shots only, from 10 yards to as far as you wanted to risk your no-miss streak. You could shoot from any position you liked. Winner was most no misses with the farthest distance bird in the event of a tie. Absolutely great practice for shooting your big game rifle from a number of positions.

Now I use 3.5 grains of Trail Boss behind a .309 Hornady lead round ball, it is actually buckshot they sell in 5 LB boxes, loaded into a 308 case. Subsonic, very accurate, easy to drop into the chamber and way less fiddly than using the Hammond gamegetter, which I also have in multiple cartridges, including 7 RUM.
How's that for fouling your barrel Dean? Do you use LR primers? How do you seat the ball? Does it need to be swaged, like the Hammond?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm curious to try this!
Old 11-15-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
How's that for fouling your barrel Dean? Do you use LR primers? How do you seat the ball? Does it need to be swaged, like the Hammond?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm curious to try this!
Does not foul the barrel at all. Ball is only doing about 980 fps, so never any leading, nice an quiet, zero recoil. Also, round balls lose their velocity very quickly so have nowhere near the range of a 22 RF. Much safer. If you can get .308 to .310 #1 buck no swagging required. (#1 Buck can be anywhere from .300 to . 312, bigger is better than too small so measure them before you buy a bunch. Since I have the Hammond in 308 and 300 WM I did use the swagger in it to do some .320 single Aught buckshot when I couldn't find #1 buck that was big enough. My favourite is Hornady 32 caliber muzzle loading balls, they come in a pack of 100, pretty cheap at 15 bucks a 100 and are .310, which is perfect for a 308, 300 Mag etc.

As far as the case, just do a normal neck size on it and it will hold the buck shot just fine. Leave about half sticking out for easier feeding. I use CCI 250 mag primers in my 308 and all hunting loads under 60 grains, so I just use the same primer for the chicken loads too.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:10 AM

My theory says, when you're hunting big game, you don't need that big kaboom to scare everything in the neighborhood. let em live another day. Hunted with a German guy ONCE, he actually carried a shotgun, along with his rifle, in the event.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-15-2021, 11:35 AM

Shot a few chickens with .243. Clears the head right off. One got shot in the chest. I could not find a hole until I skinned it, even then I wasn’t sure until I was. Thought it dropped dead from the boom, lol. The 100gr interlock went through both breasts. Zero damage, aside from the hole that was really hard to find. No blood even. If remember correctly, the shot was from 10 yards or so, really close.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Does not foul the barrel at all. Ball is only doing about 980 fps, so never any leading, nice an quiet, zero recoil. Also, round balls lose their velocity very quickly so have nowhere near the range of a 22 RF. Much safer. If you can get .308 to .310 #1 buck no swagging required. (#1 Buck can be anywhere from .300 to . 312, bigger is better than too small so measure them before you buy a bunch. Since I have the Hammond in 308 and 300 WM I did use the swagger in it to do some .320 single Aught buckshot when I couldn't find #1 buck that was big enough. My favourite is Hornady 32 caliber muzzle loading balls, they come in a pack of 100, pretty cheap at 15 bucks a 100 and are .310, which is perfect for a 308, 300 Mag etc.

As far as the case, just do a normal neck size on it and it will hold the buck shot just fine. Leave about half sticking out for easier feeding. I use CCI 250 mag primers in my 308 and all hunting loads under 60 grains, so I just use the same primer for the chicken loads too.
Right on, thanks for the info.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
My theory says, when you're hunting big game, you don't need that big kaboom to scare everything in the neighborhood. let em live another day. Hunted with a German guy ONCE, he actually carried a shotgun, along with his rifle, in the event.

Grizz
For a few years I carried a Drilling. 12x12 over 7x57R. The one 12 gauge barrel had a Kreighof 22Rf insert that was sighted to hit exactly where the rifle barrel was sighted to. Gave me the option to shoot rifle for big game or a slug, birdshot or the 22 RF. Was a wonderfully versatile gun and it would put 3 shots in an inch at 200 yards with the rifle barrel so it was no handicap.