Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-22-2009, 01:23 PM

Smile Any tips for finding my Big Horn??

I am wondering if anyone knows of some good hunting areas where i am can find my first Bighorn? I am excited to bag my first sheep and all the extra tips are much appreciated.

Last edited by Mephiz; 06-22-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:38 PM
sheephunter

Do a search in this forum....there are lots of good bighorn threads.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:49 PM

No offense meant here, but good hunting spots are tough to come by and usually involve hard work to find them. Sheep spots are 10x harder to find and no one is going to just tell you where they are.

Get some good maps, the best glass you can afford and a good set of boots and start wearing them out. There a a lot of great sheep areas all over from north to south. You may get some very general info but don't expect much more than that.

I'm quit certain that you will see the same general response from others too.

Best of luck on your adventures!!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:56 PM

i have read lots on the Cadomin.....and am thinking that might be a choice area for sheep?? Also is the Rem 7mm mag a suited rifle for this hunt?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:44 PM

7mm mag would kill a ram. As for locations... try the mountains! LOL

Lots of good things have been said on this forum about sheep and sheep hunting, as sheephunter indicated. As you will learn however, you don't just go around asking for good bighorn hunting areas. Certainly not as your first question. It's kinda comparable with asking "Hey, do you want to have sex?" when first meeting a pretty girl.

Tips about good ram hunting spots are generally obtained after long years of nurturing relationships, and may involve bribes in the shape of work, money, beer, or other favours. ;-) And even then they may not get more specific than "I'd try the NE quadrant of WMU so-and-so", or "Try the Whatchamacallit Range" (which typically encomp***** five mountains and 225square km worth of country).

And you'd better learn to get excited about sheep HUNTING, more than sheep BAGGING. Except for the lucky and skillful few (of which we have a few on this forum!), there is a whole lot of hunting going on, and not a whole lot of bagging. But that's OK. It's a labour of love! :-)

Frans
Old 06-22-2009, 03:58 PM

I know it was a labour of love when i took my first whitetail, and i definately know i bagged him when i gut shot him from five hundred yards and chased him halfway across the country side. Just looking for some solid tips and a generalizaton of an area.

Any perticuar type of scope what magnification should i take? More than likely i will be hiking and leaving the horse at home. Should i take a spotting scope or should i just depend on the one on my rifle?
Old 06-22-2009, 04:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Should i take a spotting scope or should i just depend on the one on my rifle?
I think a hunter's safety course might be in order!
Old 06-22-2009, 04:05 PM

Old 06-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
x2

to start with your whitetail hunting can not be compared to any sheep hunting that you do. If not properly prepared it can end in a life or death situation. Also I have seen hunters use a rifle scope as there only optic and this is a very unsafe act as you should never point your firearm at anything unless you verify it to be something that you are going to pull the trigger on.
My advise would to start by reading everything possible and maybe start with short scouting trips. Head for the tree line eventualy you will find where they hang out.

And dont be gut shooting a ram at 500yrds or you may **** a few guys off!

JMO
Old 06-22-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
No such thing as a stupid question if the person doesn't know the answer and is looking for advice.

Now IMHO your responce should have been directed towards the 500 yard gut shot.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:23 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnguy243 View Post
No such thing as a stupid question if the person doesn't know the answer and is looking for advice.

Now IMHO your responce should have been directed towards the 500 yard gut shot.
Actually I was offering advice to his question.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephiz View Post
I know it was a labour of love when i took my first whitetail, and i definately know i bagged him when i gut shot him from five hundred yards and chased him halfway across the country side. Just looking for some solid tips and a generalizaton of an area.

Any perticuar type of scope what magnification should i take? More than likely i will be hiking and leaving the horse at home. Should i take a spotting scope or should i just depend on the one on my rifle?
Hmmm....

Appreciate you honesty, but confessing to gut shooting your first deer at 500 yards, and a willingness to scope things through your rifle scope, doesn't fill me with joy.

Frans
Old 06-22-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=scoped

have a read.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I am wondering if anyone knows of some good hunting areas where i am can find my first Bighorn? I am excited to bag my first sheep and all the extra tips are much appreciated.

First thing you need to do is develop a lot of Patience and then get used to Dissapointment Unless of course you're lucky, like Frans.
Grizz
Old 06-22-2009, 06:34 PM
340wtby

check dried meat lake............lots of sheep there, from what i hear
Old 06-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

First time I ever ventured out after Sheep...young and stupid....climbing every mountain to see where they were...me and my buddy were walking back to camp, when we ran into a gentleman on horse back...we were both carrying our relatively new and shiny Ruger 77's, 1 in 7mm, the other in .300, we commented on his beat up Savage 99 in .300 Savage in his scabbard...he opened up his saddle bag and pulled out a spotting scope that was probably worth twice what our rifles were.....he said " I prefer to spend money on what I need and use the most"...point taken... as before good optics...and wear out a couple pairs of boots...IMO
Old 06-22-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
First thing you need to do is develop a lot of Patience and then get used to Dissapointment Unless of course you're lucky, like Frans.
Yes, my "luck" came on the twentieth day in the mountains that season. Wish I were still self-employed, that might help my luck along a bit.

Frans
Old 06-22-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340wtby View Post
check dried meat lake............lots of sheep there, from what i hear
I think 'ole wilbur has some stories about hunting bighorns at driedmeat lake.... or was it fishing for marihas????

A little off topic but interesting nonetheless. I was talking to a guy a while back that was part of some perscribed burns in the cypress hills quite a number of years ago. He said that in some of the real bushy areas they were finding old weathered bighorn sheep heads. I guess back before the metis settled there there were quite a few rams running in them hills.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
First time I ever ventured out after Sheep...young and stupid....climbing every mountain to see where they were...me and my buddy were walking back to camp, when we ran into a gentleman on horse back...we were both carrying our relatively new and shiny Ruger 77's, 1 in 7mm, the other in .300, we commented on his beat up Savage 99 in .300 Savage in his scabbard...he opened up his saddle bag and pulled out a spotting scope that was probably worth twice what our rifles were.....he said " I prefer to spend money on what I need and use the most"...point taken... as before good optics...and wear out a couple pairs of boots...IMO
First I must apologize as I am very excited about the hunt for my sheep. I may have said some things that I do realize are not proper hunting methods but as I have mentioned I am stoked, to be honest I am a newbie to this forum stuff. I do realize you’re not supposed to spot with your rifle . I was just a little hasty in my reply and am looking forward to the hunt.

Yes I was quite blunt and honest about my first kill (buck fever baby).....which I think probably a couple people could relate too. But that was then and this is now. That’s how you gain experience is by learning from past mistakes. I will not gut shot my sheep no worries, thanks for the concern though. I was actually looking for advice along the lines of the above quote and for that one I thank you. Peace and happy bagging.

Last edited by Mephiz; 06-22-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Yikes. Good luck with that.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
x2.....
Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 PM
bowcanyonranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by depopulator View Post
XXXXXXXXXXXXX222222222222222222222222222222
also i hear sask has a great sheep population,, you should go there!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:17 AM

holy moly i would start doing some serious research, i dont think you quite know what goes into the whole deal of sheep hunting
Old 06-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:

holy crap...now thats funny! THANKyou!