Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Default Makes me Mad

So last summer I found a mule deer buck in the wmu I hunt. He was a nontypical 8x7. I could tell he was a very young deer probably a three year old. His forks and non typical points were only 3 to 5 inches. I decided I would let this deer go in hopes he would pass his genes on as he is the only true non typical I have seen in this wmu. Plus a couple more years of growth and he would have been a pig. Well I found out that some dude from the states ended up shooting him on a guided hunt from one of the outfitters up here. Just makes me very mad!! I also talked to a good friend of mine from calgary that does taxidermy. said he got in almost 20 mule deer from one of the outfitters south of calgary and not one of them scored over 140. And the smallest maybe scored 100. Just frustrates me!!
Old 06-20-2009, 08:38 PM

the way I see it is if our Beef and other products arent good enough for the americans either should our wildlife be good enough and they should be banned from hunting in canada until they pull up their socks and show some respect for other countrys and their wild life and other products
especialy when there is more non resident alian tags given out in a wmu than what non resedent and resident combined
thats telling me that the provincial govenrment is basicliy selling our wildlife to non canadians
and thats very sad to know

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 06-21-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:45 PM

i wouldnt be paying what americans pay to come up here and shoot a 140 mulie. but i hope word spreads and they slow down coming up here.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:00 PM

So What!!!!! A bunch of dink deer got shot. And they were legaly tagged. You think that 100 deer is a high number? How many small deer do you think the residents shot last year? ??? ?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:05 PM

Lots of residents shoot spikers and 4pointers every year. Most that get shot are in that bracket. Im not surprised someone dropped that 15pt you saw.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 PM

I know how you feel and totally understand your frustration. I even posted my views on it last year and got ****ed on by quite a few. I'm all for trophy style hunting but the fact is that for mule deer there is no zone that has that. I still can not believe a resident will wait 3 or 4 years for one of those better zones to hunt and shoot a small buck the first few days out hunting to get his meat but I guess nothin is going to change and they have every right to do it.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Hoochie Papa

I understand your pain there ShedHead, but that's a risk when you pass on a deer. It pours a little salt on the wound when it's a Yank that scoops your deer on you though.

Just keep your eyes peeled, and hope he passed on some genes.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Albertahog

Default Pay to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEDHEAD View Post
So last summer I found a mule deer buck in the wmu I hunt. He was a nontypical 8x7. I could tell he was a very young deer probably a three year old. His forks and non typical points were only 3 to 5 inches. I decided I would let this deer go in hopes he would pass his genes on as he is the only true non typical I have seen in this wmu. Plus a couple more years of growth and he would have been a pig. Well I found out that some dude from the states ended up shooting him on a guided hunt from one of the outfitters up here. Just makes me very mad!! I also talked to a good friend of mine from calgary that does taxidermy. said he got in almost 20 mule deer from one of the outfitters south of calgary and not one of them scored over 140. And the smallest maybe scored 100. Just frustrates me!!
Cant say i feel sorry for you now you know your not the only one out there .We all pay to play and you passed on your shot and to start crying the blues about yank's hunting you loose me just Suck it up .
Old 06-21-2009, 03:17 PM

I know how you feel, last year my brother and I were hunting and had a 161 gross 4X4 no more than 30 yards away(rifle season). He was with a hot doe and wasn't exactly what we wanted so we decided to let him get his genes out there, no more than an hour later someone that I dont really respect(because he is a road warrior) shot him on an oil lease. But thats the way the ball rolls. But as for people shooting dink bucks, it happens every day from alot more than the yanks. But it would sure be nice to see a buck mature over the years without getting shot and see what they can grow up to be.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Im pickin up what your layin down. Ive smoked my share of pups too, like everyone else in the province, but there are some that definately need to be farmed out. I wished I lived in the central to north part of the province. It would be alot easier to see bucks youve been keeping an eye on grow up. In this south country everything gets mowed down if it makes its self visible. MAKES ME MAD TOO. Thats why you see my azz leaving here and going in a northerly direction every fall for certain tags. Im still trying to figure out why I live in an area that I have to wait 7 years for an antelope tag, 3 for a mule deer, and whitetail almost dont exist. To have a herd of deer in the back yard that a guy can hunt every fall would be sweet. I sort of do, I can chase mules around with the bow every year that Im not drawn for a mule, but I already know where the antelope live, why the hell stay here??? Any of you northern boys want a new neighbor??

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-21-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Im pickin up what your layin down. Ive smoked my share of pups too, like everyone else in the province, but there are some that definately need to be farmed out. I wished I lived in the central to north part of the province. It would be alot easier to see bucks youve been keeping an eye on grow up. In this south country everything gets mowed down if it makes its self visible. MAKES ME MAD TOO. Thats why you see my azz leaving here and going in a northerly direction every fall for certain tags. Im still trying to figure out why I live in an area that I have to wait 7 years for an antelope tag, 3 for a mule deer, and whitetail almost dont exist. To have a herd of deer in the back yard that a guy can hunt every fall would be sweet. I sort of do, I can chase mules around with the bow every year that Im not drawn for a mule, but I already know where the antelope live, why the hell stay here??? Any of you northern boys want a new neighbor??
these days, it doesn't seem to matter what part of the province you're in, you will see your share of the good, the bad, and the just plain ugly. I was born and raised in the Northern part of the province and grew up hunting with the family with the sole purpose of filling the freezer. To some extent, that hasn't changed, I will till try to harvest a moose or elk with the intent of getting some quality meat into the freezer. But when it comes to deer, I try to hold out for something mature and will not use my tag if I don't have a chance to harvest a quality animal. i have no problem with those who are solely meat hunters...they are as entitled as trophy hunters to harvest game. My problem is with those out there who disrepect game laws, landowners and the game animals in general. I too love hunting...it is a year-round obsession for me...countless hours shed-hunting, scouting, trail camera monitoring, etc. I follow some animals for up to 5 years. i have land that I manage carefully and I do not road-hunt myself. But it seems 98% of people up north regard hunting as anything goes in the pursuit of filling the tag. Oftentimes this means all-day cruising of roads, shooting with no landowner permission, filling all tags possible including wife's, daughter's,friends,etc. Some individuals claim to have killed over 20 deer a year and when asked what is done with all the meat...the response is often...it can always be used for dogfood. I do not bother other hunters but yet have people drive by my truck, trespass on my land, lean out the window and shoot at deer, while I am sitting in a blind waiting for a quality animal to step out. When I voice my concerns about hunting ethics to these people...who are lifelong family neighbors...I am considered a radical, an a##hole, and a someone who wants to keep all the game to himself. I see this on all levels, some meat hunters, some trophy hunters, some guides...it is not restricted to one group. There has also been a major influx of people coming from other regions to take advantage of longer seasons and more tag opportunities...again not a problem if everything is done legally and ethically...but as the old saying says..."a few rotten apples...". My point is that it doesn't matter if it's North or South, our biggest obstacle in keeping the quality in our herds is improving hunter ethics...it is not an isolated problem. It seems that guides talk badly about some locals and other outfitters, meat hunters talk negatively about trophy hunters and americans, trophy hunters about meat hunters and guides, etc, etc. It is a neverending vicious circle...let's all respect one another, respect the game laws, and the game animals, and the quality of our herds and of the actual hunting experience will be much the better for it.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:43 PM

one thing i have noticed from talking to "yankees" is that anything over 120" is considered a trophy. they don't grow them that big is most states! as far as shooting a 120'' to a 140'' i don't see a law against it! sounds like sour grapes to me!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM

I myself am a meat hunter, I buy my tags like almost everybody else, and i go try too fill them.
I live in the city so i have too drive a ways to go hunting.
My general white tail tags allows me too take either an antlered or antlerless tag and along with the supplemental tag i can harvest three white tail deer each year.
And I do usually. Whether it is three doe's or two does and a buck i could really care less, i hunt for the meat. as long as the deer doesn't have spots on it it's fair game.
i've ran into the " I'm better than you " hunters in the bush and have had the comments made too me of How I would never shoot doe's or i only shoot trophy bucks and blah blah blah.. well LAH DEE DAH too those guys. everybody hunts for different reasons and your reasons don't make you better than anyone else.
You won't shoot a spiker where as I will. If you choose not too shoot an animal because it's too small for you, don't whine about it getting shot by the next guy....You made your choice not too shoot.
i buy my tags with the intent too fill them and if it doesn't agree with your style of hunting get over it cupcake.
Your not the only one out there hunting.
As long as the tags are purchased and the animal harvested legally thats just the way hunting is.
YUP, sounds like real sour grapes too me.
thats my three bitts werth.

Last edited by The Rog Man; 06-21-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-21-2009, 07:14 PM

Default Antler soup

I would rather have meat than ANTLER SOUP!!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
You know Enerplus has a field round here don't ya?

Should I be emailing you MLS links?

There are no absolutes
Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
YOur not kidding when you say everything that shows itself here in the south country gets mowed down! I would love to watch a few bucks grow up and see what they can become. But I'm afraid that will never happen down here. And I don't have a problem with yanks coming up here and shooting our deer, I understand that other places don't grow the whitetails and mule deer like we do. What I don't likew is when the same guys come up 3,4,5, years in a row and shoot 140" mule deer when I a resident have to wait 5 years to get drawn. And when i gotta wait 5 years to shoot a mule deer you better believe i'm out there looking for the biggest buck i can find. I will never understand why guys wait 5 years to be drawn to shoot a "meat Buck" but thats there choice and they have the right so i leave it alone. everyone hunts for their own reasons. but yes I would love to be able to pass up a few bucks and watch them to see what they may turn into. I will admit that i'm a trophy hunter but have taken my fair share of "dinks" as we refer to them. especially my first few deer. those are some of my greatest memories.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rog Man View Post
I myself am a meat hunter, I buy my tags like almost everybody else, and i go try too fill them.
I live in the city so i have too drive a ways to go hunting.
My general white tail tags allows me too take either an antlered or antlerless tag and along with the supplemental tag i can harvest three white tail deer each year.
And I do usually. Whether it is three doe's or two does and a buck i could really care less, i hunt for the meat. as long as the deer doesn't have spots on it it's fair game.
i've ran into the " I'm better than you " hunters in the bush and have had the comments made too me of How I would never shoot doe's or i only shoot trophy bucks and blah blah blah.. well LAH DEE DAH too those guys. everybody hunts for different reasons and your reasons don't make you better than anyone else.
You won't shoot a spiker where as I will. If you choose not too shoot an animal because it's too small for you, don't whine about it getting shot by the next guy....You made your choice not too shoot.
i buy my tags with the intent too fill them and if it doesn't agree with your style of hunting get over it cupcake.
As long as the tags are purchased and the animal harvested legally thats just the way hunting is.
YUP, sounds like real sour grapes too me.
thats my three bitts werth.
Probably more meat on a mature doe then a spike..................cupcake...
Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rog Man View Post
Going to have to agree with the Rog Man here. I'm not a trophy hunter. If I get a deer with big horns, hey, that's pretty cool. I have a nice mulie trophy mount in my garage that my father shot, but for me, I'm a meat hunter.

Jamie and I got into it a year or so about trophy hunting, and while I don't do it myself, I can see why some folks like trophy hunting.

However, if someone shoots an animal for meat that you passed on, well, too bad. Suck it up. If it was legal, you can be dissapointed, but don't go whining that someone took 'your' animal. It's kind of like when someone takes 'my' fishing spot. I have to suck it up and move on.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:53 PM

Last edited by Dr. Fish; 06-21-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-radshaw View Post
Probably more meat on a mature doe then a spike..................cupcake...
Not always, and it's about getting meat not a big animal for me.
So I am quite happy too take a spiker ...............cupcake.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:45 AM

I hunt, and I'll be dammed if I'm going to pass on an animal that may turn into a true trophy ( whatever THAT is) in a few years.
I hunt for the enjoyment of hunting and to fill my freezer.

When I guided, the clients I took out very very rarely disappointed if they did not take an animal, and never begrudged someone who we met with a small antlered but well shaped moose in their boat.
it's not a contest guys, and the B&C was NOT set up to honour the hunter hunters but to honour the animal that was taken....
Cat
Old 06-22-2009, 08:58 AM

In regards to non resident hunters shooting immature deer, I would put some the onus on the guides. They are the ones either encouraging or discouraging the client from pulling the trigger. If the same guy is coming up year after year and shooting a young deer on the last day of the hunt just to get his money's worth, maybe it's time to find some new clients.

Anyone with a tag has the right to shoot whatever is legal, but I have never heard of a non resident deer hunter taking the meat back with him so I think they should try and take a trophy quality animal or else leave them for next year (or for a resident hunter to eat).

The mule deer are a really tough one - we have some pretty decent ones around here that go 130" or better as 2 or 3 year olds. Many of them are tame enough to hit with a rock until they get some age on them and most hunters that don't target mule deer think they're a trophy. The 140" 2 year old with great genetics get killed and his 100" buddy with inferior genetics gets educated and goes forth to multiply.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

Nothing wrong with shooting does. If I dont have a moose in the freezer and can not find a decent buck I'll take a doe every time and let the little guys can get a bit bigger. I hold nothing against people who shoot small bucks, I just cant see the point. If its meat your after the does taste better and are easyer to find. Theres nothing manly about shooting a spiker just because you "only hunt bucks". I sometimes shoot one of those magical shrinking bucks that on closer inspection does not compare favorably with the larger racks in my shed and I wish I had let him go but I never intentionaly shoot a buck that is significantly smaller than my largest rack.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:51 PM

Nope, nuthin' wrong with shooting does either.
Small bucks, big bucks, does, whatever.
I will fill my tag as soon as i can, I don't have a lot of time to hunt anymore....
Cat
Old 06-22-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
the way i see it is if our beef and other products arent good enough for the americans either should our wildlife be good enough and they should be banned from hunting in canada until they pull up their socks and show some respect for other countrys and their wild life and other products
...amen!!
Old 06-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Banned

I've never not been able to find a doe to shoot but I think I'd be happyer skunked than with a fork horn. Unless I realy needed the meat and it was the last week of the season. Then I'd agree with you cat. Moose are another story alltogeather, I'll happily shoot any legal bull.

Last edited by Cal; 06-22-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
In regards to non resident hunters shooting immature deer, I would put some the onus on the guides. They are the ones either encouraging or discouraging the client from pulling the trigger. If the same guy is coming up year after year and shooting a young deer on the last day of the hunt just to get his money's worth, maybe it's time to find some new clients.

Anyone with a tag has the right to shoot whatever is legal, but I have never heard of a non resident deer hunter taking the meat back with him so I think they should try and take a trophy quality animal or else leave them for next year (or for a resident hunter to eat).

The mule deer are a really tough one - we have some pretty decent ones around here that go 130" or better as 2 or 3 year olds. Many of them are tame enough to hit with a rock until they get some age on them and most hunters that don't target mule deer think they're a trophy. The 140" 2 year old with great genetics get killed and his 100" buddy with inferior genetics gets educated and goes forth to multiply.
I would agree with you on that! I often wonder if the guides really put in the time and effort to find a trophy buck for their clients. I mean surley they can find a bigger then 130" mule deer in pretty much any area they hunt. and then its the same size of the deer every year that these same non residents shoot. but i guess if their happy with what they shoot then thats up to them but I would say some of ir is on the guides themselves.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I've never not been able to find a doe to shoot but I think I'd be happyer skunked than with a fork horn. Unless I realy needed the meat and it was the last week of the season. Then I'd agree with you cat. Moose are another story alltogeather, I'll happily shoot any legal bull.
X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well said!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 PM

Default mad

I shoot to fill my freezer. The fella with the three does attitude I hear you loud and clear, I bought the tag it is not illegal to shoot I shoot it if I want it and it legal to access.

The one thing that did not come up here when the Americans were that bought their tags and filled them was our own Government of the day doing the Cull along the Sask Alta border and none of the tax paying citizen had a chance to buy a tag and take a dear in those zones.
That was a blatant waste of Natural resources to me. What did they find 6 or 7 With the disease and what 6000 to 7000 animals in total cleaned out.
PATHETIC JUST PLAIN PATHETIC!!!
That makes me mad
End of Rant
Thanks Ken

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...