Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 09:24 AM

Default 2008 Tundra

I have been looking at getting a newer truck for a while now. I commute quite a bit for work and my daily is a Jetta. The truck would probably average 5000k a year, just for bike trips, hunting trips and the like, some weeks it won't even move.

I am wondering what you guys think of this era of Tundra. I like the trucks with lift kits but maybe they aren't a great idea used.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

Old 08-16-2018, 09:28 AM

I bought my 2007 new, and I replaced the battery two years ago, and the front brakes a year ago. Other than that, no issues at all with the truck.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:29 AM

I like that era of Tundra - that was when they still had the ability to fold down the rear seatback in the supercrew. I have two friends with that kind, and they are really happy with them.

The first link has pretty high mileage for the price, IMO.

I'm a bit leery of lifted trucks, too - if you have it done yourself, at least you know it was done right. Plus there's less chance that it was swamped etc.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:38 AM

#1 That 2008 for 15K is stupid high. You must also realize especially since you are driving a bit to work and back that the 5.7 Tundra is thirsty. And I mean serious. Also the fuel guage is out by about a quarter tank. It will read empty and there will still be 20 plus liters in the tank.

I fought with Toyota about this too many times to count as did tons of other Tundra owners. Bottom line they said it was like a bike consider it like a reserve tank.

Long story short I sold my 2013 gas hog and went back to GM. Just my opinion, but on the plus side they will last for sure but over 200K and 10 yrs. old 15K is way way out of line.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:39 PM

thanks, for the input.

It's hard to know sometimes what a good deal is when the truck is nearly ten years old. It's hard for me to justify a new one when it will only get occasional use and having payments would suck.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:08 PM

I’ve got a 2011 that I bought a year ago and have put 12,000k on it and love it. They do like there fuel if you put your foot in it, but if you keep it to the speed limit you’ll get 18-20 mpg. (16 L/ 100 km) is what I’m getting. And yes the most I have ever put in for gas is 84 liters in a 100 liter tank, fuel gauge is definitely out on them.

Jim..
Old 08-16-2018, 04:12 PM

Up to 2010 they had problems with the sticking gas pedal---I had one of those---not cool at all
Old 08-16-2018, 05:50 PM

I would pass on a lifted Tundra.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:55 PM

I have a 2010 platinum that I have had since new August 2010. Literally just crossed 100k km this week. Other than regular oil changes, I had to get an alignment done on my own dime, but got a new front diff (a known problem) and one ball joint done, both on warranty.

That generation had a 100litre tank but 20L is on reserve so it shows empty at 80L used, it’s like that to save the fuel pump. It’s not the best on fuel economy but it’s not horrific either. Drive the speed limit and it’s normal, but if you wanna giver (which you can with 381hp) then expect more fuel to be used. It tows nicely too. I through some duratracs on it recently and love it even more now.

A very reliable vehicle and well built, I have been happy with mine and never plan to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
#1 That 2008 for 15K is stupid high. You must also realize especially since you are driving a bit to work and back that the 5.7 Tundra is thirsty. And I mean serious. Also the fuel guage is out by about a quarter tank. It will read empty and there will still be 20 plus liters in the tank.

I fought with Toyota about this too many times to count as did tons of other Tundra owners. Bottom line they said it was like a bike consider it like a reserve tank.

Long story short I sold my 2013 gas hog and went back to GM. Just my opinion, but on the plus side they will last for sure but over 200K and 10 yrs. old 15K is way way out of line.
My 2016 Tundra is the same way; 25% in "reserve". Drives me nuts. 148L tank and if I fill up when the light comes on it'll take 110-112L. Ridiculous.

I dunno if 15k is out of line on that 2008. Depends what the market says I guess; I'm not up on prices (and I didn't even click on the link, so there's that too) - but at 200k that truck has a ton of life left in it.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I have been looking at getting a newer truck for a while now. I commute quite a bit for work and my daily is a Jetta. The truck would probably average 5000k a year, just for bike trips, hunting trips and the like, some weeks it won't even move.

I am wondering what you guys think of this era of Tundra. I like the trucks with lift kits but maybe they aren't a great idea used.

After looking at #1 and seeing the KM's were actually closer to 300k I was ready to agree with the other fellas on 'too high'..
But then you run a search on what Tundras are going for and I'm back to my original position that it's maybe not all that out to lunch. There are several comparables within a couple grand each way, and at a quick glance none looked to have the high end options (sunroof, nav) that #1 does.

#2, if you're going that high anyway you'd be better off buying a brand new base model for around $40-45k, imo.

For the amount of KM's you say you expect to put on, I think if it were me I'd go that route. They hold their value well and KM's is still the biggest thing. Quite a few 3+ year old trucks with <10,000/y which are listed at between $33,000-$43,000. Even assuming the low end of that come sale time, with what you'd be saving in warranty vs. maintenance costs + the risk you'd be taking on with an older used vehicle, I bet you'd come out very close if not ahead in $$ with the new truck. Not to mention the added bonus of driving a new vehicle vs. used for those years.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:30 PM

I like the idea of the lifted trucks. To alleviate the worry, bring a mechanic's creeper with you and trolley around underneath looking for rust, dents, scrapes and other signs of abuse.
I had a 2004 and put a "hard" 100,000kms on it, did the regular oil changes and all fluids at the beginning of hunting season. When I sold it, I made close to what I paid for it.
I think the 2 trucks you are looking at are crazy money for the km's on them. Toyota's definitely have the longevity but only if you are properly maintaining them. My neighbour leased a brand new F350 Diesel and refused to do oil changes, you pay the money and you takes your chances....
JH
Old 08-16-2018, 09:41 PM

I sent you a PM
Mike
Old 08-17-2018, 08:25 AM

They are solid trucks, but their 5.7 is thirsty. If you don't care about economy, then go for it!!
Old 08-17-2018, 12:03 PM

Tundras with the 5.7 engine are equipped with a 4.3 rear axle ratio. If they were running 3.73's or something not quite as tall they would get much higher milage.
This is one of the reasons they are known for great towing ability and very high resale.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:19 PM

Starting the search now, there is so much out there these days to sift through so thanks for the help y'all
Old 08-17-2018, 04:31 PM

Fuel milage on read outs are an American gallon. Get the same milage as any other truck in size and wieght class. They run the 4:30 because of double overdrive. 373 would mean 900 rpm at 60 mph They are a good truck one of the best but they to have limitations 300,000 is getting up thier