Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 09:49 AM

Default what can quick load do?

So I'm looking for some experience with quickload, I have a new rifle that I just started to load for, what can quickload do for me the average reloader? It has my interest I just don't know if I'm advanced enough to gain anything.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:14 PM

QuickLoad is a predictive cartridge performance program. It simulates cartridge performance under different bullets, powders, loads, setting depths....
If you own one, you can play with different bullets/powder/loads to find a safe and satisfactory load. This load has than to be tested (speed, pressure signs, different primers) on the range.
If you do not own one, keep in mind the program costs +/-190CAD. To justify costs, you need to have several cartridges to develop. If its only for one load, it might be better to refer to reloading manuals or ask here for help.

Last edited by Ariu; 08-13-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:50 PM

I have a friend that uses this software and I hope to get it someday. QuickLoad can be amazingly accurate but it does have a learning curve. One shouldn't use this software to replace handload books, consider using both !!!The software gets you in the "ballpark" with calculations.

Discrepancy between Quickload and observed data : https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=551296

The ballpark thing:
COL and freebore - every rifle chamber is unique in dimension, some have very long throats and others don't - depends on cartridge & action. The software does estimate PSI of a powder load which can indicate a potential over pressure. Quickload and observed data at the range can be different - many variables to carefully consider !!! Question for a quickload expert: I am not sure if there are parameters in the software to calculate bore pressure based on COL, chamber length ?

Old 08-13-2018, 03:21 PM

I've had QL for about 6 or so yrs now. To me its invaluable, but I do load for several cartridges. In terms of load development and checking different powders, pressures,bullet specs and velocities it saves a lot of range time and money. It also has a ballistic calculator that is as good or better than any others I have used. Simply build up a load and transfer the data to the ballistic software and it's accurately completed in two clicks.
It is very easy to navigate but there is some tweaking to do regarding powder burn rates. Once that chore is completed the projected velocities and pressures are extremely accurate. It's very powerful software that finds the basic reloading data base using only about 40% of it's total capabilities.
I can't live without it and I'm sure the same would apply to any serious handloader. It's the best value for a handloading / ballistic tool out there for the money IMO.
A chronograph is required.

Last edited by Salavee; 08-13-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinchg View Post
I have a friend that uses this software and I hope to get it someday. QuickLoad can be amazingly accurate but it does have a learning curve. One shouldn't use this software to replace handload books, consider using both !!!The software gets you in the "ballpark" with calculations.

Discrepancy between Quickload and observed data : https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=551296

The ballpark thing:
COL and freebore - every rifle chamber is unique in dimension, some have very long throats and others don't - depends on cartridge & action. The software does estimate PSI of a powder load which can indicate a potential over pressure. Quickload and observed data at the range can be different - many variables to carefully consider !!! Question for a quickload expert: I am not sure if there are parameters in the software to calculate bore pressure based on COL, chamber length ?

No expert,but yes QL will estimate the chamber and muzzle pressure according to COL. This must be verified by chronograph and the powder burn rate adjusted to match the actual velocity. It also provides load densities and amount of powder burnt plus much more.
Attached is a photo of the main work page
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quickload 001 (800x600).jpg (55.1 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Salavee; 08-13-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:08 AM

As I reload for long range precision it has been invaluable for me. I work with the OCW and OBT methods of load development and QuickLoad is able to put me in the theoretical ballpark where I need to be to find an accuracy node. Saves me a fair bit of time and components to get to an optimized load. Removes some of the trial and error required to narrow things down.

Do remember this is a software that takes data in and gives you a result. Garbage in = Garbage out. So be safe. Learn how to use it but apply the appropriate reloading safe practices.

Remember you are setting of a small hand grenade 5 inches from your face.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Fantastic program
I can design a cartridge or get an idea of what one bullet will do compared to another in the same case .
Calculating bullet drop from25 to 1,000 or further is a piece of cake and I have found it very accurate
Cat
Old 08-15-2018, 01:34 PM

Default thanks

So its interesting for sure.. I load for about 14 different chamberings, but I have loads developed for all of those, well I guess not my new 308 norma, so I would put it into quickload and a 180 partition and it would give me a few different powders to try and approx. speeds? does it recommend a OAL or do you set that?

Thanks for all the info

It would be interesting to see what it says about all the loads I have already. I have close to 20 different powders and on something like the norma there is about half of them that could be potentially good..
Old 08-15-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
So its interesting for sure.. I load for about 14 different chamberings, but I have loads developed for all of those, well I guess not my new 308 norma, so I would put it into quickload and a 180 partition and it would give me a few different powders to try and approx. speeds? does it recommend a OAL or do you set that?

Thanks for all the info

It would be interesting to see what it says about all the loads I have already. I have close to 20 different powders and on something like the norma there is about half of them that could be potentially good..
You determine AOL. Most all the newer powders and projectiles are included in the latest edition. You can also determine the temp stability of a powder by selecting an ambient temp. The key is to get your powder burn rates adjusted to your chronograph results for each cartridge. The default values are often a bit high. (10% or more)
Old 08-15-2018, 02:42 PM

Magic! It can do magic! And potentially save big bucks on components and barrel life.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper