Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 12:08 PM

Default Archery Mule Deer Draw

Hey AO!

Is there a simple answer as to why we do not have an archery mule deer draw similar to antelope? In certain zones of course. One of the zones around me is a 6 year wait for a general tag. I would happily sacrifice one rifle hunt at the expense of 2-3 archery hunts (early season, maybe a 3-4 week hunt).

I am just coming off a 3 week work shift, so my head may not be on straight. It would just be nice to hunt mule deer bucks more often up in the Peace Country. I do mainly hunt public land, so I have looked into other options in the province, but travel costs for the hunt + scouting can get high! Anyways, is there a good answer to why we do not have a draw archery mule deer tag? I personally would like that option. Am I just not thinking clearly?

Thanks!

Caddis
Old 08-13-2018, 12:10 PM

Red face

It has been proposed, but the Government seems to drag its heals approv
Old 08-13-2018, 12:41 PM

I expect that the simple reasoning is that one can start hunting earlier in the season with a bow than with a rifle. I do get what you're saying about the wait being shorter...but then you might have guys applying for an archery draw and killing with a rifle. Same could be argued for antelope, I guess.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-13-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I expect that the simple reasoning is that one can start hunting earlier in the season with a bow than with a rifle. I do get what you're saying about the wait being shorter...but then you might have guys applying for an archery draw and killing with a rifle. Same could be argued for antelope, I guess.
You won’t be able to enter both draws...if you get an archery draw you won't be able to use it in the general season like you can now. It’s basically pick your tool of choice and use for that season, as that’s the only season it will be valid.

LC
Old 08-13-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You won’t be able to enter both draws...if you get an archery draw you won't be able to use it in the general season like you can now. It’s basically pick your tool of choice and use for that season, as that’s the only season it will be valid.

LC
Aaaaahhh. but too simple to do something like that Lefty ....you remember the real reason they said that our archery season was taken away down south here, that being that the archers were killing all the big deer ..lol.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Aaaaahhh. but too simple to do something like that Lefty ....you remember the real reason they said that our archery season was taken away down south here, that being that the archers were killing all the big deer ..lol.
Yup I remember

LC
Old 08-14-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Reminds me that the ABA president wanted a separate and exclusive Archery draw because there were too many bowhunters.
The logic is that a separate archery draw will eliminate the less "serious" archery hunters.

I would agree to re-instating a separate archery season allocation and draw, just implement it like we do for Pronghorns. Allow hunters to apply for both archery and general weapon season draws, but hold only one licence in any year. This way, we aren't further segregating the hunting community. Much fairer to all than having an exclusive archery draw.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."