Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
LUND 2150 TYEE Magnum w/Yamaha or Honda
Some of you guys obviously haven’t been out boat shopping in the last year or two!

$120K would be WAY short on that rig.

That price range is now a 17-19’ boat, depending on manufacturer and how it’s rigged.

Boat prices are unreal, and they just keep going up…
Old 05-01-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Some of you guys obviously haven’t been out boat shopping in the last year or two!

$120K would be WAY short on that rig.

That price range is now a 17-19’ boat, depending on manufacturer and how it’s rigged.

Boat prices are unreal, and they just keep going up…
Some dealers are really bumping prices, but AVO Marine recently sold a Tyee 1975 for $88k plus tax. Of course that doesn't include electronics, but it is $30k under the $120k limit. Most Alberta dealers are way higher than some Saskatchewan and Manitoba dealers. I ordered my boat last summer, and the dealer is honoring the price despite multiple price increases, but I have seen identical boats priced 15-20% higher.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:29 AM

You can always go used and still get a great boat well saving a ton of money

I have owned lots of nice boats and not one was brand new. I often get a good return when I sell them too instead of loosing thousands
Old 05-01-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
You can always go used and still get a great boat well saving a ton of money

I have owned lots of nice boats and not one was brand new. I often get a good return when I sell them too instead of loosing thousands
Unfortunately, used boat prices have climbed even more than new boat prices, The same boat as mine, and 4-5 years old, is selling for a few thousand less than I am paying, and no warranty on engine, and second owner warranty on hull. I did a lot of looking last year, and decided that it was worth going new, for a few thousand dollars.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Unfortunately, used boat prices have climbed even more than new boat prices, The same boat as mine, and 4-5 years old, is selling for a few thousand less than I am paying, and no warranty on engine, and second owner warranty on hull. I did a lot of looking last year, and decided that it was worth going new, for a few thousand dollars.
Fair enough I have not looked at the market in a few years because I was not looking to buy
Old 05-01-2022, 11:41 AM

Dad introduced me to boating and fishing . So my first boat was a 10 ft then 12 ft then 18 ft now I am in a 19 ft Lund. They sure are nice because of the trim . But I find there is to much nice trim that is making the boat cost more in all the wrong places . I do find every time I buy a boat its not big enough ,and bigger is better ! I want a 20' or bigger this time and I want more room in the back . With no carpet ! So I am thinking more of Thunder Jet or a Hewscraft . Hart top would be nice or half top . But I still want to slip it into my garage . Not sure what the prices are this year ,must be over $120,000.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:28 PM

16ft lund, nice honda 4 stroke. Livescope fish finder.. dump the rest into gas using that baby!
Old 05-01-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Dad introduced me to boating and fishing . So my first boat was a 10 ft then 12 ft then 18 ft now I am in a 19 ft Lund. They sure are nice because of the trim . But I find there is to much nice trim that is making the boat cost more in all the wrong places . I do find every time I buy a boat its not big enough ,and bigger is better ! I want a 20' or bigger this time and I want more room in the back . With no carpet ! So I am thinking more of Thunder Jet or a Hewscraft . Hart top would be nice or half top . But I still want to slip it into my garage . Not sure what the prices are this year ,must be over $120,000.
I hear you. So much fluff on boats these days. I don't need livewells, carpet, storage compartments everywhere, flip up/down seats etc. Give me a welded aluminum 17ft boat with vinyl floors, trolling motor plug in, windshield, Honda or Yamaha motor, 4 pedestal seats and call it a day.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I hear you. So much fluff on boats these days. I don't need livewells, carpet, storage compartments everywhere, flip up/down seats etc. Give me a welded aluminum 17ft boat with vinyl floors, trolling motor plug in, windshield, Honda or Yamaha motor, 4 pedestal seats and call it a day.
Thats why I bought a used 1800 lund Alaskan tiller. Fairly basic rock solid boat that I rigged up and fixed up myself. Nothing flashy about it at all. It is just a pure fishing machine that can handle the nasty winds of southern Alberta and can fit 4 people fishing comfortable with zero issues. With a 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke, fully loaded with gas and a tournament load of gear plus all 4 family members in it. This boat still gets on plane fast and does 30mph.
Even the bare bones boats have gone up huge in price both new and used. Im glad I bought mine right as boat prices started to skyrocket. If I were to sell it today I could probably get quite a bit more than I paid for it a year and a half ago.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:25 PM

A 21 foot Northriver Seahawk should fall into that category. I doubt you'd be unhappy with it.
https://www.portboathouse.com/new-bo...-river/5956-2/
Old 05-01-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
A 21 foot Northriver Seahawk should fall into that category. I doubt you'd be unhappy with it.
https://www.portboathouse.com/new-bo...-river/5956-2/
They are a well known boat also .
Old 05-01-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Thats why I bought a used 1800 lund Alaskan tiller. Fairly basic rock solid boat that I rigged up and fixed up myself. Nothing flashy about it at all. It is just a pure fishing machine that can handle the nasty winds of southern Alberta and can fit 4 people fishing comfortable with zero issues. With a 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke, fully loaded with gas and a tournament load of gear plus all 4 family members in it. This boat still gets on plane fast and does 30mph.
Even the bare bones boats have gone up huge in price both new and used. Im glad I bought mine right as boat prices started to skyrocket. If I were to sell it today I could probably get quite a bit more than I paid for it a year and a half ago.
That would be an ideal boat. Tough to find used for under $40K if they come up at all and when it comes to new...well, you just might get to sniff one for $55K from what I've seen. I always though if I saved up $40K I'd be able to get a pretty amazing used boat or a decent new one. Yeah not anymore.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
They are a well known boat also .
Agreed. They seem a lot more popular in the PNW but you do see a few in coastal BC waters as well. The 21 foot covers a lot of bases as it's not too big for lake use, but their width and depth really makes them shine in salt water. Their weight also is also very reasonable making them a piece of cake to tow with a half ton. I've towed mine a lot of miles with a Tacoma, but that wouldn't be my first choice.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
That would be an ideal boat. Tough to find used for under $40K if they come up at all and when it comes to new...well, you just might get to sniff one for $55K from what I've seen. I always though if I saved up $40K I'd be able to get a pretty amazing used boat or a decent new one. Yeah not anymore.
I found my 2011 in Ontario. It was just the hull with white cap splash guards and 3 brand new lund seats not mounted and plastic still on them and posts. I bought a brand new trailer and met up in Winnipeg to pick it up. The whole total was about a quarter of the price you mentioned for a used one. Best part is that Lund stripped the whole interior, redid the rivets, wood, vinyl, and transom 6 months before I bought it. So its basically a brand new boat.

I rigged it up with my 2015 Yamaha 60hp, trolling motor, graphs, rod holders, and all other accessories from my old boat.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:07 PM

Just for the purpose of having novelty fun for 120K I'd consider buying a SeaBreacher. And I would keep the seabreacher somewhere with crystal clear waters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E41kFAL0UUo

Realistically, as I get older and for practical purposes I'd buy a pontooon boat with an enclosed cabin. That would be pretty comfy for fishing or touring/camping.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-01-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I found my 2011 in Ontario. It was just the hull with white cap splash guards and 3 brand new lund seats not mounted and plastic still on them and posts. I bought a brand new trailer and met up in Winnipeg to pick it up. The whole total was about a quarter of the price you mentioned for a used one. Best part is that Lund stripped the whole interior, redid the rivets, wood, vinyl, and transom 6 months before I bought it. So its basically a brand new boat.

I rigged it up with my 2015 Yamaha 60hp, trolling motor, graphs, rod holders, and all other accessories from my old boat.
That's a screaming deal. Well done!
Old 05-01-2022, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I'd most definitely buy a $5G boat, and pocket the remaining 75-115G.
I'm liking this reply right here!
Old 05-01-2022, 08:30 PM

We run a Harbecraft 2275 Fastwater with 383 Stroker & a 15HP HO kicker. Had it up the Murray to Kinuseo, to the Irrigation reservoirs in the south, and lots in between. The inboard V8 is lots of power, we drive it carefully, maintenance costs very manageable.

We'd like to upgrade to a hardtop if we can afford it some day in the future, but that size & configuration has been ideal for a variety of rivers & lakes. Good luck!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-01-2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Agreed. They seem a lot more popular in the PNW but you do see a few in coastal BC waters as well. The 21 foot covers a lot of bases as it's not too big for lake use, but their width and depth really makes them shine in salt water. Their weight also is also very reasonable making them a piece of cake to tow with a half ton. I've towed mine a lot of miles with a Tacoma, but that wouldn't be my first choice.
I'd be very surprised if a 21 Seahawk could be had for under 120k now. A hewescraft searunner with kicker and electronics I priced put it over 130k
Old 05-03-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru fisher View Post
Custom Weld Viper II just bough it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where did you get one? Is there a dealer for Custom Weld here? Custom Weld is what I would want too...

Last edited by AK47; 05-03-2022 at 12:56 PM.