Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-02-2012, 01:58 PM

Default Bringing a gun to Alaska

My apologize if this has been covered before. I was not able to find out any information.

Can I drive into the USA with a firearm? I want to go to Alaska this summer and would like to bring my .22. I have a PAL and the gun belongs to me. What sort of papers do they ask for at the border? Any restrictions on bringing in Ammo or anything else?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:03 PM

There are forms that you require to fill out for BATF and the only reasons a Non-Resident Alien can have a firearm in their possession is for hunting or a shooting competition. You will be required to prove purchase of a hunting license or an invitation to a competition in the US (in this case it better say Alaska).

Homeland security is not so nice about ammo and firearms in the hands of non-res anymore.

Others who have done this often will chime in soon.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:05 PM

Buy an Alaskan hunting license online. There is a form you fill out and fax in to the ATF (form 6NA something). Add whatever firearms and ammo you may want to take. Once you have the form, should be good to go.

FWIW Alaska is about the most gun friendly state in the union. Concealed carry of handguns is allowed without a permit by almost anyone (including Canadians it appears) without a criminal record. The only requirement is that if you are pulled over by a State Trooper you must immediately inform them that you are carrying.

Most border crossings are dealt with professionally and straight forward by USBP. However, you better be "squeaky clean" when crossing: a friend recently had an antelope trip go all to hell because he pulled up to the crossing while there was still a vehicle at the booth. Border guy went ape-sh*t on him and said his Montana hunting license had no tag so it wasn't valid and wouldn't let him cross. The back of the form clearly states all the exceptions allowed (such as the hunting license doesn't have to be for a state you are traveling to / through with your firearms). He decided that he would go home instead of arguing (and possibly getting banned from crossing the border for ever, just because some douche has a Napoleon complex.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 PM

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-3d.pdf

There you go. Note # 19 on the back.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I read #19. It says a hunting tag from any state. I can get a Kentucky tag and go take a gun into Alaska ??

If yes, anyone know which state has the cheapest online tag? Alaska charges $500 for foreign licenses. Too much $$ just to to carry in a gun for plinking.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:18 PM

Just a questions.......do you really need to go "PLINKING" while you are on a holiday up in Alaska??

I think there would be alot of other things to do. Alot of "PAPER WORK" for this. Just saying
Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
Just a questions.......do you really need to go "PLINKING" while you are on a holiday up in Alaska??

I think there would be alot of other things to do. Alot of "PAPER WORK" for this. Just saying
X2!!!...lots of ways to mess up a holiday by trying to circumvent the rules, leave the gun at home.....
Old 06-03-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork007 View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I read #19. It says a hunting tag from any state. I can get a Kentucky tag and go take a gun into Alaska ??

If yes, anyone know which state has the cheapest online tag? Alaska charges $500 for foreign licenses. Too much $$ just to to carry in a gun for plinking.
All I will tell ya is that even though you may be able to use any hunting license to APPLY for the Form 6NIA, if an officer finds out that you have a South Dakota license (one of the cheapest) and you're headed to Alaska to 'plink' with a .22 on a holidy, you may run into issues. Having the form in hand does not guarantee that you can travel freely across the border with the firearm. Especially when dealing with different officers, interpretation of law, etc, etc....

As others have pointed out, its not worth it. Period. Go on vacation and do some fishing or something. Enjoy Alaska....
Old 06-03-2012, 09:32 PM

I'm still waffling on this, too. I'm not interested in the .22, though. I always have a 12 ga. when we go camping and hate to leave it behind. Sure sounds like a bother, though, to get a shotgun into and out of Alaska...and back into Canada, for that matter.

Stupid. Just plain stupid.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 PM

Maybe I can just wrap it in plastic and hide it in the woods and pick it up on the way back. I"m camping for a few weeks along the way to Alaska. Would be fun to shoot vermin up north on the way there.

I thank you for all your feedback. Better leave the gun at home. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:32 PM

I also would think you need to be a BC or Yukon resident to shot vermin in the Province/Territory.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 PM

Ok. I'll throw rocks
Old 06-05-2012, 04:58 PM

Don't worry about the US border guards too much. I brought a Glock 19 pistol with me on a motorcycle trip in 2009, the US guard barely looked at my permit and waived me through with a laugh and said "don't shoot anybody".

It was the Canadian guard that gave me hassle leaving (my transport permit required me to check in with customs on exit as well as entry) Canada into Alaska. She had a thick Quebec accent and was incensed that I had the audacity to own, let alone intend to carry (while in the US) a handgun.

Bizzarely the Canadian guard on re-entry barely batted an eye and just politely looked over my paperwork.

Bottom line is as long as you have your Form 6 and a valid hunting licence it should be easy.

PS Near Chicken, Alaska there were tons of rabbits...
Old 06-05-2012, 05:26 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Bring a sling shot or a bow instead
Old 07-04-2012, 05:53 PM

Default Don't think so

I phoned the Alaska border guards earlier this week and no way a Canadian can be in possession of a gun without a hunting license and a letter from the State Dept.Takes a couple months to process........bear protection.........Harold
Old 07-04-2012, 09:40 PM

Default Guns and AK

I have been to AK on six different hunts and every time I have been checked to make sure I have a valid Form 6 and State of AK hunitng license. Article 19might say any Sate but as AK is isolated from the rest of the 48, you might have a tough time expalining that one?
As well, you better not get caught discharging a firearm in AK without a Guide being present< that is another prerequisite to hunting in AK!
Just my thoughts