Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 07:46 PM

Default Fishing educational program

Folks,

The Hunter Training guys have put together a real good educational program c/w an exam and certificate.
AND ITS FREE!!!!!!! Not sure how that happened but my hat off to those that made this possible.

It took me about 3 hours to do the program and answer the questions.

This type of program has been requested by many individuals and fishing groups for many years. Clear evidence exists many anglers do not do fish identification well making species management all but impossible.

https://319.yssecure.com/cart_builde...roductID=60179
Hint, look to the right side and click FREE.

Have fun,

Don
Old 03-30-2020, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the tip! Just completed it.
Very impressed. Definitely something every Alberta angler should have to take.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:15 AM

I Passed!

Hello Don Andersen:

Congratulations on completing your Alberta Fishing Education Program online course! Your new Fishing Education Certificate number is: 0XXX. The certificate and wallet card with this number will be mailed to you.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:05 AM

Is this something we will all have to complete in the future?
Old 03-31-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Is this something we will all have to complete in the future?
Hopefully so
Old 03-31-2020, 11:58 AM

It would be a great requirement for sure.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:29 PM

FREE for a limited time. Will be 40 dollars and no doubt mandatory in the near future.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:11 PM

Sorry...I stopped at the "have to register and log in page".

If I have to remember another login ID and password....I am going to lose it!

Same with all those AEP surveys...sorry...
Old 04-01-2020, 09:52 AM

Just another future money grab.... fishing tax.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:47 AM

Unfortunately, lots of people could use the help with identification and regulations
Old 04-01-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Unfortunately, lots of people could use the help with identification and regulations
Agreed.
Usually, the illegal activity I have witnessed on the water have been simply from the lack of knowledge on the rules in place. Last season alone, I confronted a handful of bait chuckers on the Bow, and when I went up to them to explain the regulations in place, they were like, "Wtf, there's regulations??", and in a genuine and honest tone. I know you're always going to find those who will disobey the regulations, knowingly, but I think half the battle would be educating the public about the regulations and laws around the water.
At the very least it will help those who DO have good intentions on the water to understand what they can and cannot do.
But yeah, this is only going to help if it is enforced and well, free
Old 04-01-2020, 04:20 PM

maybe you should have to show your certificate in order to buy lures,hooks,bait, much like a PAL to buy ammo.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:10 AM

This obviously going to be another money grab and mandatory. Do it now while it is free.

People do not realize how useless this is. I fly fish ONLY the rivers and streams around here. If I am going elsewhere I read the regulations online LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES because doing a test on line last year gives you NO current or useful information.

IF I ice fished the local lakes it would be exactly the same and I would check the regs if I traveled. AGAIN, course useless.

Most everyone has some activity that they do. If I am going pheasant hunting in southern Alberta I do not have to know that the northern shrew is now on a draw system. If I am hunting ducks, I need to be able to identify the species I am legally able to hunt. I may not be able to tell the difference between an eclipse Red Head and a Lesser Scaup but I am 100% positive they are not Mallards.

I don't spin fish, baits, lures, scents, couldn't care less. If I did, I would be completely insane not to study up, because I don't, complete waste of time and money.

If people are too stupid to check the rules and regulations EVERY TIME they go to a new area and every year, a multiple choice test they took some time ago isn't going to change that. They still will be stupid after the taking the course.

Regulations change annually, species come on and off catch and release, water bodies and entire areas close because of temperatures, forest fires or even bear activity.

Anyway, pay up, toe the line, carry on when told to do so.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:07 PM

In a way, AEP has become it's own worst enemy.

They are slowly forcing folks to buy licences online. I would bet that many that buy their licences online don't bother to download the regs let alone read them.

I know...no excuse

The brick and mortar retailer always gave you a print copy of the regs with your purchase...but in the past few years, the print copy wasn't available for a few weeks after the start of the season. How many went back to get a print copy?

I know...no excuse

Add the fact that there are less and less retailers offering retail license sales.

I know...no excuse

Finally, the regs are now getting quite complicated. Do you really think the guys that can't tell the difference between a rainbow and brookie will be able to understand some parts of those regs?

I know...no excuse.

Often, when the government or a business say that they are doing something to make it more consumer friendly, more efficient or accessible...it is usually for them, not the consumer.

I know...no excuse