Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-17-2024, 06:56 PM

Default Game meat consumption survey

Has anyone read over or filled this out yet? Spooky survey seems to be written by Antis or someone with interest in game farms. Sent out by Relm
Old 01-17-2024, 09:50 PM

I looked at all of it then deleted it.

Any of these surveys and reports and crap like that I look at and delete.

If they wanna know how deer tastes, go shoot one and cook it. Or eat it raw for all I care.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:05 PM

Didn’t get one. Maybe because I didn’t shoot a deer this year and they think I forgot what it tastes like
Old 01-17-2024, 10:07 PM

It's from the university of Alberta.
I'm not helping some kid do his homework for free.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:08 AM

I filled mine out its a long survey and they ask alot of the same questions just in different terms.
Now every day i get the same survey. Bastards lol
Old 01-18-2024, 08:26 AM

I thought our personal information was secure when we purchase a license. I have NEVER given the government or any survey company, permission for anyone to contact me...

I cooperate with the hunting license success survey only.

As for what venison tastes like, it is relative...however for those that don't know; it tastes like venison....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 01-18-2024 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:43 AM

Lots of questions worded the same. Lots around if you were unable to hunt would you still consume wild game. Also if you tho k you are eating it for health reasons
Old 01-18-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Lots of questions worded the same. Lots around if you were unable to hunt would you still consume wild game. Also if you tho k you are eating it for health reasons
How do they think one gets to (regularly) consume “wild game” if one doesn’t hunt?
Old 01-18-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
How do they think one gets to (regularly) consume “wild game” if one doesn’t hunt?
You could go straight up hillbilly and cruse for roadkill but don’t forget to give it the sniff test

As for the survey I have not noticed it yet or I didn’t get it. Sounds like a waste of my time and a waste of money/resources that should have been spent on improving wildlife populations instead
Old 01-18-2024, 09:21 AM

Purchase it
Old 01-18-2024, 09:51 AM

I filled out the survey- it was an odd and frustrating one in that several questions were redundant as the survey tried to categorize the motivation of people to eat wild meat, but did so through way too many questions.

As for this being used as a tool by the anti crowd as a means to shut down hunting, I think this opinion is wrong and borders on paranoid. But maybe I’m just naive…
Old 01-18-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
My wife and parents eat plenty of wild meat while not themselves being the hunter.

I do agree though, in that the survey is sent to a bunch of hunters, asking them how they obtain wild meat!
Old 01-18-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
I filled out the survey- it was an odd and frustrating one in that several questions were redundant as the survey tried to categorize the motivation of people to eat wild meat, but did so through way too many questions.
I got part way through it and reached the same conclusion so I quit and deleted it. A complete waste of my time.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:38 AM

yeahh..go figure that one out yourselves. pay me if you want info
had to do that stupid harvest survey too but that was a mandatory one.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:50 AM

It would take more than the government to keep me from hunting.
If it got banned I'd go full Robin Hood. Or full William Wallace right down to the blue face paint!

That should be the survey question, would you comply with a hunting ban? Yes or No?
Old 01-18-2024, 05:49 PM

I filled it in. The first question I think asked something to the effect of what three words come to mind when considering consuming wild game. I answered with: Steak, Merlot, Merlot.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:09 AM

I filled it out, it doesn’t sound sinister to me at all.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:05 AM

Never got it, probably because my tags were decorations on the Xmas tree this year

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Never got it, probably because my tags were decorations on the Xmas tree this year
Never tagged anything either, but I got the survey.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:25 AM

Just a U of A student collecting info for a course. Funding probably through ACA. A way to collect information regarding what the public is thinking regarding reasons for hunting. Variety of questions trying to get to the root of your true thinking. The summary of data can be used to make government plans for the future.
The government is making use of students as a means to collect data for making biological plans for the future. Free labour
Old 01-19-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Never tagged anything either, but I got the survey.
Your just lucky I guess

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Just a U of A student collecting info for a course. Funding probably through ACA. A way to collect information regarding what the public is thinking regarding reasons for hunting. Variety of questions trying to get to the root of your true thinking. The summary of data can be used to make government plans for the future.
The government is making use of students as a means to collect data for making biological plans for the future. Free labour
So a waste of funds
Old 01-19-2024, 01:12 PM

I lost my patience after 10 minutes of stupid questions…
Old 01-19-2024, 02:48 PM

I don't know the specific facts for this survey, but there are number of grad students who get funding from ACA/government that goes toward their research projects. There are probably some great projects that get done, and others that may not seem like the best ideas.
You can probably find out who the wildlife/resource manager type professors are at the U of A to learn more.
I imagine similar things happening in Calgary and Lethbridge
Old 01-19-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I lost my patience after 10 minutes of stupid questions…
Ditto, so repetitive nonsense. I aborted.
Old 01-20-2024, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I filled it out, it doesn’t sound sinister to me at all.
Same here, took a few mins. No big deal.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:25 PM

Since we are all guessing where this survey came from....

This is my guess ( I don't know).

https://thewildharvestinitiative.com/

The WSFAb and APOS both support this organization.

At the website you can view previous survey result summaries from a few different States. https://thewildharvestinitiative.com/initiative/

In particular I like the APOS write up (surely self written).
https://thewildharvestinitiative.com...tters-society/

Do you see what I see?

"Alberta’s professional outfitters were some of the earliest pioneers of the tourism industry in our province, with the first guided hunts taking clients into Alberta’s rugged backcountry in the late 1800s. The Alberta Professional Outfitters Society (APOS) became the delegated administrative organization for the professional outfitting industry in Alberta in 1997, handling outfitter permitting, the management of wildlife allocations, and an outfitter Code of Ethics on behalf of the Government of Alberta. "

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-07-2024, 05:41 PM

Default further information

So I contacted both the ACA and the University of Alberta looking for more information about this survey. After several emails only the ACA was willing to get back to me.

It seems hard to get a straight answer on the purpose of this research and I can't get a direct answer.

There was a real lack of hunter knowledge and the whole survery seemed in congruent.

I am still following up in several ways but needless to say the researcher Sandra Odame did not get back to me and neither did the head researcher I guess they dont want to answer any questions we have after all. I will say this lab is also involved in lab grown meat.

I'm surprised (not really) with the quality of this survey coming of of a university
This is actually the head researcher her specialty is acceptance of 3D printed meats.
https://apps.ualberta.ca/directory/person/wwismer

Did anyone else try to make contact with the ACA, U of A?

Does anyone here know who has access of the Alberta government or their affiliated has the access to send out emails to the albertaRELM email list?

BTW I'm new here....
nice to meet you all, thanks for letting me join in

Last edited by Limina; 03-07-2024 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:39 PM

The researcher’s bio also states they are trying “to understand food-related motivation of hunters of wild game.”

It’s tasty and healthy. - research completed.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limina View Post
So I contacted both the ACA and the University of Alberta looking for more information about this survey. After several emails only the ACA was willing to get back to me.

It seems hard to get a straight answer on the purpose of this research and I can't get a direct answer.

There was a real lack of hunter knowledge and the whole survery seemed in congruent.

I am still following up in several ways but needless to say the researcher Sandra Odame did not get back to me and neither did the head researcher I guess they dont want to answer any questions we have after all. I will say this lab is also involved in lab grown meat.

I'm surprised (not really) with the quality of this survey coming of of a university
This is actually the head researcher her specialty is acceptance of 3D printed meats.
https://apps.ualberta.ca/directory/person/wwismer

Did anyone else try to make contact with the ACA, U of A?

Does anyone here know who has access of the Alberta government or their affiliated has the access to send out emails to the albertaRELM email list?

BTW I'm new here....
nice to meet you all, thanks for letting me join in

It is great to see someone who has the interest and care to do some digging, and sharing. Thank you.

Interesting leads, which can be followed.

Leaves me wondering if Alberta RELM is getting paid to allow private access to data that Alberta Outdoorspeople pay to manage for Us....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."