Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 08:04 PM

Default Keep busy in retirement-Hypothetical

Let’s say retire at 55, good health, strong, many hours in the gym, previously a small business owner with many skills acquired, mechanically inclined, no issue operating vehicles and pulling trailers, hunting experience in Alberta, fishing experience in Alberta as well as west coast of BC.
Find something other than what you have been doing for the past 35-40 years, work 2-4 days a week depending?

Interested what would you be doing?

Of course 100% hypothetical..
Old 01-15-2020, 08:13 PM

Hot shotting or part time pilot truck.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:15 PM

Maybe haul campers or drive motor homes back and forth from the states.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:30 PM

At 38, my mortgage almost paid off.

Then i can find a job that I LIKE... then I plan on doing some carpentry and mixing fishing/camping with my dual sport motorbike!
Old 01-15-2020, 08:35 PM

I retired last December, absolutely NOT looking to work anywhere else!!
I loved my job but it was time to go, now I have a good pension and will relax......
Cat
Old 01-15-2020, 09:35 PM

Sheep hunting
Antelope hunting
Bear hunting
Elk hunting
Moose hunting
Whitetail hunting
Mulie hunting
Cooking
Making jerky
Ice fishing, if it’s nice out
Humping the wife, until she’s had enough and says get out of the house, then go back to the top of the list.

That’s what I plan on doing when I retire. So basically the same as now but without work.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:52 PM

Aside from hunting and fishing prospecting for gold is a good outdoor hobby that could pay some dividends. I don't mean work shoveling into a sluice all day. I mean crevassing bedrock for chunky gold in glacial rivers of BC. Metal detecting nuggets in the Australian outback and other neat places.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-15-2020, 11:36 PM

I wouldn't be interested in working 2-4 days a week. If I was interested in working in retirement to supplement the income, I'd be looking for full time but only 4-6 months of the year. I wouldn't want to be tied down to the job for the entire year. So I'd be looking seasonal, municipality cutting grass, helping a farmer, golf course, etc.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:26 AM

I retired 2 years ago at 56 with a good pension. Still enjoyed my job but wanted to slow down some.

So in the summer I work full time at the local golf course cutting grass. A low stress, out in the sun job I enjoy very much. Added benefit of a free membership and some other awesome perks.

I am laid off mid-October to mid-April during which I hunt, ice fish, learn guitar and travel to warmer climates.

Once I turn the big 60, I will not work anymore.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:54 AM

I’m planning for 4 years left, then packing it in at 62.
And I plan to keep the same standard of living, reasonably so.
Hoping the retirement income will be about as much as most make now working full time.
I’m not knocking hard working people, as I am one of them, just with 35 years steady income in production ops, in oil and gas mostly, that is the standard with a company pension and one’s own retirement portfolio, all-in.
The toys are already bought and paid for, just maybe a bigger boat if the wife allows it, ha.

On the list when retired.
Run the sawmill, sell slabs and live end cuts.
Hunt 4 months of the year.
Trap 3 months of the year (resident)
Maintain the hunting quarters, cut brush, quad access trails and bridges.
Mushroom and berry picking in both AB and BC.
Tinker on my Cariboo gold claims 20-30 days per year.
Fish AB, then the coast 10-20 days per year.
Visit the kids and grandkids in AB and BC.
Upkeep on the house, didn’t mean to put this last, but it is the least fun, ha.

And if the expenses exceed the income, trim back a bit or work part of the year contract with plant commissioning or turn-arounds.

I’m working in possibly the best location in the world right now, and taking it all in stride, but I do welcome coming back home and the change that will come my way in a few years time.

TBark
Old 01-16-2020, 07:34 AM

Had a few months off between jobs this year (first time I had a significant break for almost 25 years), so I had a taste of how "busy" I would be if retired.

I was REALLY busy, and I wasn't even goofing off.

Of course, a lot of time was spent trying to fix up my boat.

I also have kids, so that came into play. But I had more time for my friends, got more hunting and fishing in, fixed up a ton of stuff around the house that I've been neglecting, and spent quality time with Incredigirl.

I could keep pretty busy doing casual renovations, computer consulting, etc. I love fixing broken things, just need time to do it.

Will be about fifteen more years until I can remotely afford to retire, though.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Sheep hunting
Antelope hunting
Bear hunting
Elk hunting
Moose hunting
Whitetail hunting
Mulie hunting
Cooking
Making jerky
Humping the wife, until she’s had enough and says get out of the house, then go back to the top of the list.

That’s what I plan on doing when I retire. So basically the same as now but without work.
3blade,

You are my new hero! (I don't make jerky or hunt antelope you see).

Drewski
Old 01-16-2020, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sheep hunting
Antelope hunting
Bear hunting
Elk hunting
Moose hunting
Whitetail hunting
Mulie hunting
Cooking
Making jerky

It took you ten years to get your first elk on the ground. I think your wife will have all the free time she wants.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:15 AM

Hope that you have a indexed pension adjusted to cost of living/inflation. In 20-30 years your pension value could have half the buying power and still need to pay Trudeau Income tax on remainder of it.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:20 AM

There's lots of time retire, after you're dead.

Grizz
Old 01-16-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Sheep hunting
Antelope hunting
Bear hunting
Elk hunting
Moose hunting
Whitetail hunting
Mulie hunting
Cooking
Making jerky

My man!
Old 01-16-2020, 10:11 AM
Banned

Default The answer is walleye, to any question

I took up tournament fishing to augment my meager income. It doesn't pay well but I'm having the time of my life!

Free
Old 01-16-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I retired last December, absolutely NOT looking to work anywhere else!!
I loved my job but it was time to go, now I have a good pension and will relax......
Cat
You hit the nail on the head. I'm not even remotely interested in earning another pay check. You only get so many years on this earth and I've already spent too much of it working for a wage.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
You hit the nail on the head. I'm not even remotely interested in earning another pay check. You only get so many years on this earth and I've already spent too much of it working for a wage.
Working for yourself is quite gratifying compared to being a wage slave.

Lots of people work for themselves after retiring and wished they had done it much sooner.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

maybe pick up a gig part time operating a Zamboni or golf course cutting grass.

but I am doing nothing right now...just what ever when ever....cold snap over going fishing for sure.....not worrying about deadlines and commitments sure is nice....throw in a mix of people.....hmmm maybe I will just go hunting, fishing and travel....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-16-2020, 10:51 AM

I've been practicing for retirement in between jobs (self employed)...I've been studying Spanish quite a bit, once I get that down in another year or two I will get to learning German properly. Need to exercise more, and will once the work stops. I figure on working two more years until I'm 55. My investments are doing great, $ won't be a problem as we have a pretty low key lifestyle. Will probably downsize, our house is too big with only one out of 5 kids left at home....so I haven't decided if I will just build my own again, or get a 'fixer upper' and gut it and make it the way I want? That should take up about a year of my time, farting around. And then, I may look for something really part time, just to keep busy. Something I'm interested in. Maybe I can get a job at a gun shop, work the counter, and say really stupid things to newbies that will get overheard and posted here...!

We might also try the Snowbird thing in AZ to see how we like it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-16-2020, 10:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_r6 View Post
At 38, my mortgage almost paid off.

Then i can find a job that I LIKE... then I plan on doing some carpentry and mixing fishing/camping with my dual sport motorbike!
that's the key right there no debt...man soooo many people at 55 or older are in debt like a new guy starting out....crazy...just crazy but to each their own.

good luck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-16-2020, 11:02 AM

Been retired for 3 years and am busier than ever but as busy as I want to be. Minus 30 means national read a book day and keep the fire going. Thought about working a bit after I retired , put my name out there and sure am glad nobody called.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:13 AM

I retired at 52 with a good pension. I continued to work in the same field (double dipping) until 60. Three of the past five years I have worked seasonally (spring/summer), as I have no desire nor need to work full time. Part of the dilemma with seasonal work is finding a seasonal job that's pays, as I'm not going to work a job that doesn't pay me quite well.

I barely have enough spare time to work anyway, with scouring AO for a couple hours a day, fishing, hunting, hiking, exploring, maintaining all my stuff...…...I just don't have enough time to work.

Maintaining stuff is key to my retirement lifestyle. I spend much time doing everything myself (electrical/plumbing/carpentry/landscaping/mechanics). I can do it for nothing instead of paying someone $100+ an hour and it keeps me occupied.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:26 AM

For my part (now 66), I focused on giving back. I still volunteer with two major organizations, one professional, the other personal interest based. When you get really involved, the time commitment is similar to working, but just so much more gratifying.

Vic
Old 01-16-2020, 12:02 PM

I just rolled over to my new year at 48.
I will go to 55, then I'm out.

Hunt, fish, travel, and enjoy life.
Only on this round rock once, I'm going to enjoy the rest.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:09 PM

I retired at 52, that was 7 years ago. After about 3 months (and the end of hunting season) I was getting bored. I bought 10 sheep to give me something to do and get me outside. I look out into the corral now at my flock of 200 animals and wonder how the hell this happened??

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2020, 12:35 PM

Retired at 46. Wandered around for a few months then bit into another job (a great job around fantastic people) for 5 years.

Now im VERY part time, I look forward to every shift, the people are wonderful.

I travel, surf, snorkel, chill out, hunt, putz around, take care of my little dog and enjoy the fact I can do whatever/whenever

Eventually you realize life isnt forever. So do stuff.

And....Ive got the best friends EVER. Gotta have them
Old 01-16-2020, 01:14 PM

Retired in 2002.
However, I needed something to do that appealed so I build bamboo fly rods in the winter and fish when I can all summer. Most years I spend 120 days fishing.
Part of fishing is giving back so each year I donate a bamboo rod to Trout Unlimited. Over the past 30+ years, I’ve donate near 30 rods to Red Deer, Edmonton and Calgary Chapters. As well, I play at habitat work with C&R on the North Ram, Ironside Pond Development plus thousands of hours working on streams in Central Alberta.
Sit on several advisory boards.
Over the years I’ve waded <> 80 streams or Rivers in Alberta and floated on another 60 ponds and lakes from the 49th to Peace River. As well, I’ve had the opportunity to fish Montana, Wyoming , Idaho, BC, Sask, Manitoba and Great Slave Lake.
Don’t hunt any longer. Gave up shooting when eyes crapped out.

Don
Old 01-16-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Retired at 46. Wandered around for a few months then bit into another job (a great job around fantastic people) for 5 years.

Now im VERY part time, I look forward to every shift, the people are wonderful.

I travel, surf, snorkel, chill out, hunt, putz around, take care of my little dog and enjoy the fact I can do whatever/whenever

Eventually you realize life isnt forever. So do stuff.

And....Ive got the best friends EVER. Gotta have them
Love that last part....

My only friends are my best...