Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Default Tikka T3 Problems

First off, for the amount I handle and rely on rifles, I will admit I don't have much knowledge on how they work. Apologies to the gun guru's in advance for this question.

Tikka T3 Lite, Low round count:

This is the problem. I can cycle a round into the chamber, fire it, cycle another round in, fire it. Cycle another round into the chamber, and then the trigger is "dead" (has not reset). Then cycle another round in and fire it.

It happens on and off, some times twice in a row, other times its good for five consecutive shots.

I have took it apart and can't see anything visibly wrong with it.

Any ides whats wrong, could I fix it myself?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 PM

First off did you buy this gun new or was it used? If new take it back, and get it worked on, or get another one. If it was used, someone may have tried adjusting the trigger, and turned her down a little too low perhaps. It sounds like the sear is not resetting, perhaps not the correct terminology. It doesn't sound as though it is unsafe, just that sometimes it isn't cocking properly. Still it is definately something that should be fixed. Let us know how it turns out, or if you have more info.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 PM

When your trigger won't work, is the rifle actually cocked? You can tell if the red dot is visible underneath the bold shroud. If the red dot isn't visible, for some reason your rifle isn't remaining cocked when you cycle the action.

Last edited by Scott N; 11-16-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
When your trigger won't work, is the rifle actually cocked? You can tell if the red dot is visible underneath the bold shroud. If the red dot isn't vidible, for some reason your rifle isn't remaining cocked when you cycle the action.
I will look at that when I get home, and post tomorow.

Homesteader, I bought it new 2 years ago for a lightweight sheep rig, I have lighten up the trigger quite a bit. I will try cranking it back down some, see if that resolves the problem.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM

I also have had the same problem, this has happened to me 2x in the first 3 years I had the gun. Clean your trigger and disassemble your bolt, you may have some crap caught in there. Haven't had this happen since.

Good Luck
Phil
Old 11-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper62 View Post
I also have had the same problem, this has happened to me 2x in the first 3 years I had the gun. Clean your trigger and disassemble your bolt, you may have some crap caught in there. Haven't had this happen since.

Good Luck
Phil

I think this is where I would start too. You might have parts gunked up from too much oil or something. I know when I first got my T-3 I was less than impressed with the trigger that I had heard so many good things about, but after cleaning up some of the packing oil, it was much better.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Gone Hunting

I've had similar problem with my Sako last week after spilling a few grains of powder inside trigger assembly...
Had to take it apart and clean, so suggestions about cleaning makes sense.
Andrew
Old 11-25-2009, 06:29 AM

Cleaned everything up. Didn't help. Tightened up the trigger a bit and thats all she needed, Thanks guys.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 AM

Nice too see a favorable outcome for you. Thanks for the update.