Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2024, 05:27 PM

Default Stolen Sign

https://imgur.com/a/e38uxgO?s=sms

This is a picture of a saw blade that my father painted. It was at his farm some thief’s came and stole some things out of his house there that he owns ( wood stove and more). Why they stole this saw blade that he painted in the image of the home stead that his parents had there is sickening. He’s no Artist spent a lot of time making this it was monument to our family and I think he thought it would stay with the farm for many years. I don’t think he would ever paint another picture even if he could. He’s older and it really hurt his feelings that this is gone. If any one ever happens to this around let me know. Robbing is on thing but stealing this it’s really sad.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:33 PM

That’s just ignorant. Thieves are the worst. What area of the province was this stolen from. I watch a lot of buy and sell sites if I see this I’ll let you know for sure.

BW
Old 04-11-2024, 05:33 PM

The area is Bruce Alberta
Old 04-11-2024, 05:36 PM

That sucks, man. Why? People are really weird.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:15 PM

The pieces of garbage probably took it for scrap metal.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:29 PM

My daughter and her family lives on a farm in the Viking area. Hope these criminal losers are caught/shot soon.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:41 PM

That’s just heartbreaking.

Hope that by some miracle it gets returned to you.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:16 PM

It will show up at a flea market or an antique store.
There are lots of people out there stealing "antiques" from vacant farm buildings. The fact that the stove disappeared gives me that hunch.
Hopefully someone recognizes it from here.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:49 AM

I sure hope you get your sign back. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

A few years ago someone stole an elk skull of my friend's gate along with some moose and longhorn cow skulls off of his deck. My guess is that the skulls showed up at a flea market in Calgary.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-12-2024, 07:26 AM

A friend has a cabin that he sold out by calling lake due to his family sick of the thieves.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:36 AM

Live close to Bruce they broke into our church out in the country for the 100th time. Thought there was nothing left to steel but this time they stole a large Bible that has been in it since the early 1900s and the cross of the wall.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:56 AM

Our kinder/gentler legal system is no deterrent, so this will only get worse.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Live close to Bruce they broke into our church out in the country for the 100th time. Thought there was nothing left to steel but this time they stole a large Bible that has been in it since the early 1900s and the cross of the wall.
Well, that's going to bite them in the butt... Now the whole congregation is going to pray for those thieves! Here's hoping they get a "road to Damascus" epiphany!
Old 04-12-2024, 09:58 AM

Theft is incredibly corrosive to society which is why ancient societies took it so seriously - people need to start talking about this instead of just living with it.

I noticed yesterday that someone, most likely, one of the local "houseless" people has been stealing firewood from my back yard at night. They are so comfortable they propped the gate open with a block and just left it. It makes me so angry.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraat View Post
Theft is incredibly corrosive to society which is why ancient societies took it so seriously - people need to start talking about this instead of just living with it.

I noticed yesterday that someone, most likely, one of the local "houseless" people has been stealing firewood from my back yard at night. They are so comfortable they propped the gate open with a block and just left it. It makes me so angry.
Dig hole just large enough for freon air horn just inside gate, plant air horn with button protruding, place piece of thin plywood over button and leave overnight. When the thief steps on plywood, horn sounds, wakes you up, and scares thief.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:56 AM

The trouble with thieves is that they will roll on each other for money.

I had a break in at the Cabin in 2010 when it was under construction. The deal I had with the local kids who were working on the place with me was that if something happened to the place the work would end.

Sure enough on the Thursday one of the local kids called to see if there would be work that weekend. I explained the break in and reminded him that if something happened to the place the work would end. He said it was not him.

That did not matter as that was the rule, and if he wanted to come back to work I wanted the names of who did it.

Other kids called, and I said the same thing about the names or no more work.

One of the Dads called saying it was not his son. Again, I said I did not care. Give the names or no more work.

I had made up a number of signs in florescent paper with WANTED, CASH REWARD, and a description of all items stolen. I laminated the signs, and started posting them at the gas stations, water plant, school, playgrounds, etc.

That afternoon I had all the names. RCMP wanted to know how I did it and told them. They brought in the Young Offender, got a cautioned warned statement, and then brought in the rest of the gang. They rolled on each other one after another, and the RCMP got the locations of the other break and enters that the gang had done. Over 80 B & Es that summer, but it suddenly stopped for the whole community. One of the thieves, Blackie Cardinal, got 4.5 years for all the B & E's.

I've had no trouble since.

Now for your case, money talks.

Take that Picture, get some 11 x 17 paper, print out WANTED posters and CASH REWARD. Put down your phone number, and no need for identity to collect the Reward. Laminate the signs.

On all BAR Parking Lots, Convenience Store / Gas Stations in the neighbouring towns, Liquor Store Parking Lots, etc, staple up the signs where people inclined to steal will frequent.

You see, no way to do anything with that sign when everyone is looking for
it. You see, the People who took the sign will have shown it off to their buddies. You see, anyone who needs money will rat out the people who took the sign.

When you get the lead, call the RCMP Detachment, who will already know about the WANTED posters, and they will be forced to do something about it. Maybe a plain clothed Member can come along for the delivery of the REWARD MONEY. Do not go to the meeting place alone. Put your cell phone in your front pocket with the camera facing out and recording. Tell the person that you thank them for helping you out. Talk as long as you can, and get them to talk about how they found out.

Give the recording to the RCMP if they do not want to come along for delivery of the Reward Money.

Maybe you get the sign and stove back, maybe not. But this is the best way to get results.

Drewski
Old 04-12-2024, 10:59 AM

Social media shaming post post and and reward for information will make the thieves uncomfortable.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-12-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Yup, call your local & Edmonton scrap guys. Hopefully they don't cut it up first.

Sorry to hear about this, hope you find it intact. Crazy what gets stolen these days.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Social media shaming post post and and reward for information will make the thieves uncomfortable.
Grizz,

Your approach is cute, but the man wants results.

I am not a keyboard warrior. What I said I did is what I actually did. It does work. The RCMP in Athabasca got convictions on dozens of cabin break and enters when the gang turned on each other about what the other guy did. The RCMP solved crimes that they had absolutely no leads on because there was no honour among thieves.

Making Meth Heads Feel Bad About what they Do to Us on Social Media, only makes them use more Meth.

When everyone is asking where the sign and stove is and the gossip around the bar starts to fly about the Reward, the sign will turn up in ditch on a country road, along with the stove. The reason is that the thieves cannot trust their brethren and there is no Meth in Jail.

That's called deterrence.

Drewski
Old 04-12-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
A friend has a cabin that he sold out by calling lake due to his family sick of the thieves.
I have 2 friends with rec farm property in that area. 1 has been hit multiple times, one nothing. He don't know how lucky he is. Everyone knows where the thieves are coming from, even the Rcmp.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Dig hole just large enough for freon air horn just inside gate, plant air horn with button protruding, place piece of thin plywood over button and leave overnight. When the thief steps on plywood, horn sounds, wakes you up, and scares thief.
I suggest a more subtle approach.....
If you don't have it already, get yourself 'The Godfather' trilogy.
Stay up all night watching that while clenching your trusty pellet gun to enhance the experience.
I would suggest a seat by a window on a full moon night to, you know, further add to the experience.
If the thief shows up to ruin your experience, scare him away.

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 04-13-2024 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:03 AM

That sucks bad. I’ve drove by that sign before. Quite nice.

I had a blade similar to that stolen as well. It was on the mill that my Grandpa and Great Uncle used to cut all the lumber for their barns. I now own the property and decided to sell the mill when I purchased. Couldn’t believe that someone had stolen it. Especially given the location. Almost guarantee it went to someone local.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Thats about all a guy can do Elk because we are all forced into being *******...look at someone the wrong way let alone even touch them the cops are all over you. Years ago neighbors would protect their turf and knuckle the SOB.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Is the price of scrap that high? I thought it was like $0.20/kg, so that would be worth what, 60 cents?
Old 04-13-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
The trouble with thieves is that they will roll on each other for money.

I had a break in at the Cabin in 2010 when it was under construction. The deal I had with the local kids who were working on the place with me was that if something happened to the place the work would end.

Sure enough on the Thursday one of the local kids called to see if there would be work that weekend. I explained the break in and reminded him that if something happened to the place the work would end. He said it was not him.

That did not matter as that was the rule, and if he wanted to come back to work I wanted the names of who did it.

Other kids called, and I said the same thing about the names or no more work.

One of the Dads called saying it was not his son. Again, I said I did not care. Give the names or no more work.

I had made up a number of signs in florescent paper with WANTED, CASH REWARD, and a description of all items stolen. I laminated the signs, and started posting them at the gas stations, water plant, school, playgrounds, etc.

That afternoon I had all the names. RCMP wanted to know how I did it and told them. They brought in the Young Offender, got a cautioned warned statement, and then brought in the rest of the gang. They rolled on each other one after another, and the RCMP got the locations of the other break and enters that the gang had done. Over 80 B & Es that summer, but it suddenly stopped for the whole community. One of the thieves, Blackie Cardinal, got 4.5 years for all the B & E's.

I've had no trouble since.

Now for your case, money talks.

Take that Picture, get some 11 x 17 paper, print out WANTED posters and CASH REWARD. Put down your phone number, and no need for identity to collect the Reward. Laminate the signs.

On all BAR Parking Lots, Convenience Store / Gas Stations in the neighbouring towns, Liquor Store Parking Lots, etc, staple up the signs where people inclined to steal will frequent.

You see, no way to do anything with that sign when everyone is looking for
it. You see, the People who took the sign will have shown it off to their buddies. You see, anyone who needs money will rat out the people who took the sign.

When you get the lead, call the RCMP Detachment, who will already know about the WANTED posters, and they will be forced to do something about it. Maybe a plain clothed Member can come along for the delivery of the REWARD MONEY. Do not go to the meeting place alone. Put your cell phone in your front pocket with the camera facing out and recording. Tell the person that you thank them for helping you out. Talk as long as you can, and get them to talk about how they found out.

Give the recording to the RCMP if they do not want to come along for delivery of the Reward Money.

Maybe you get the sign and stove back, maybe not. But this is the best way to get results.

Drewski

don’t like to quote stuff as that is done too much but this is gear solid advice

well said

goodbye
Old 04-13-2024, 02:00 PM

If you want to post a reward for the return of the sign I will put $100 towards the cause.

It's hard to tell how big the blade is but it's likely 60-100 lbs. Still not worth much for scrap but they'll steal a brand new battery and scrap it for $20, or sell $500 worth of welding cables for $20.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-13-2024, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If you want to post a reward for the return of the sign I will put $100 towards the cause.

It's hard to tell how big the blade is but it's likely 60-100 lbs. Still not worth much for scrap but they'll steal a brand new battery and scrap it for $20, or sell $500 worth of welding cables for $20.
I will add 30 bucks

Jeff
Old 04-13-2024, 06:01 PM

Thanks for offer if it comes back that would be great if not that sucks. If not I think I’ll get another blade and get it painted and put it up. It might get stolen to but its worth a try i think my dad would like that. It’s a nice place from child hood it’s to bad delinquents got to ruin it.