Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 03:46 PM

Default Sight In Conditions

Do you sight in your rifle during the warm summer months, and not check again all fall, or do you verify the zero in colder weather that is more like the weather that you will be hunting in? Do you practice using field positions, or from a bench? I drew antlered moose and deer at Camp Wainwright, so I decided that I should do a final sight in once the temperatures dropped . As well, my friend that will be getting a partner license for my moose wanted to do some cool weather shooting. I use the BRH retical, so I decided to sight in at 200m with the main crosshairs. My first three shots were low and not a very good group, but the barrel was cleaned and stripped of copper, since I shot it last, and my last sight in was at 200 yards on another range, in warm temperatures. I made a scope adjustment, and the next shot was in the bullseye at 200m. Two more shots, and I had a .600" group in the bullseye. We the took out the triggersticks, since my friend had never used them, and shot to 300m off of the sticks, both sitting and standing. We made consistent hits on the gongs off of the sticks, so we called it a day. He was so impressed with the trigger sticks tripod, that he is getting a set of his own , to replace his bipods.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Nice group for 200yards. I always try and shoot my rifle in below freezing temps to check zero for hunting conditions.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:50 PM

I always confirm summer zero in cold temps.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:11 PM

I target shoot all year long (even throughout hunting season) I keep good logs on all my rounds at all different temps. I probably have data on every rifle at every temp and zero relative to it
Old 11-13-2017, 05:30 PM

Lots of variables at play in cold weather.

My experience has taught me there hasn't been a tonne of noticeable zero shift at 100yds. That doesn't mean that there won't be a noticeable difference further out and you should definitely shoot some further distance to confirm

Is the ammo fresh out of the truck or as it been sitting in -30 on stand for a couple hours? Cold powder means lower speed in your bullets and that too will translate down range.

Cold weather and heavier clothing. Are you interrupting some of the principles of marksmanship as you fight with your heavy jacket/overalls and force your natural point of aim?

All the more reason to shoot more and learn more.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 PM

I'll try to zero as late in the year as possible, before the season opens, especially to confirm muzzle velocity. As noted, cold will have an effect on the rifle's performance, from powder burn rates to the effect of gloves and coats on POA.

I assume a muzzle velocity from chrony measurements on my range cards, and if I don't have to make any crude adjustments for powder temp I'm happy. I'll take a density altitude reading every morning before legal hours and select the correct card for it. Then I'll know what to dial or how many mils to push for any combination of range, wind, or elevation.

In mixed cover, I'll zero for 100 meters because that will require less adjustment. In open farmland, maybe 200, and prep cards for that zero.

I'll practise prone at the range and use a military sling, but seldom go prone in the snow and tall grass unless I'm lucky enough to be at the crest of a hill on some cutline. I'll sometimes take the camera tripod for shooting support if I'm doing more sitting than walking that day.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:40 PM

My partner and I take first morning in hunting camp to check rifles, adjust for ambient conditions. Last year we had a scope knocked and used the backup rifle. Worth it considering the rifle shot great the weekend before.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:18 PM
Banned

I shoot year round but alway test my hunting load between 0 and -15C, and furthermore I test my hunting load out to 800yds to confirm the hash marks on my ballistic reticle. It truly is an accurate app for the scope reticle.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:59 AM

I shoot year round as well but zero at 100yds as I mostly bush hunt. I did zero for 200m last year as I had 2 Prairie draws
Old 11-14-2017, 11:07 AM

Default Powder

Point of impact change due to temp change from season to season may vary depending on the type of powder your using. Here are some links about it if your so inclined to be interested.

http://longrangeshooter.com/2009/02/...fects-on-zero/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-need-to-know/

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2016/0...s-imr-enduron/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...dgdon-extreme/
Old 11-14-2017, 11:18 AM

Most of my "centerfire" shooting is with my .223, and in working-up loads for it... focussed on using Varget powder because of how temperature-sensitive it ISN'T. (screwy sounding sentence, sorry ) Main use~blasting groundhogs in 15C-30C+ spring and summer weather. I'd zero it in the early spring on a solid bench @ 100 yards with proper rests..then shoot prone off a bipod hunting in the spring/summer. I've never shot targets, or checked my grouping shooting prone when things warmed-up...but would consider it if I started missing my targets. Which basically never happens inside of 200 yards.

I'm getting some very interesting results using some very light, Hornady NTX I tested in LAST winter's coldest tempatures...and it looks like it'll be very cold before I'm back to finish that process. Maybe my 53s will take a back seat to the 35s if things work out! At least for this coming season. We'll see what happens to the first groundhog that gets one!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:10 PM

If I had a zero shift like that from warm to cold temperature shooting I would have some concerns about a mechanical issue with rifle/scope/mounts.

I shoot year round and have not seen a shift like that even when using temperature sensitive powders that show a considerable velocity drop from warm to cold temps.

Looks like it groups well after you made an adjustment but I would be seeking a culprit to fix to achieve consistency.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
If I had a zero shift like that from warm to cold temperature shooting I would have some concerns about a mechanical issue with rifle/scope/mounts.

I shoot year round and have not seen a shift like that even when using temperature sensitive powders that show a considerable velocity drop from warm to cold temps.

Looks like it groups well after you made an adjustment but I would be seeking a culprit to fix to achieve consistency.
At this point, I am not sure that it is a shift caused by a temperature change. The rifle was sighted in three years ago, and I never fired the rifle the past two years, since I didn't hunt big game for two years. But I will be doing some testing next spring to see if this really is a case of temperature effecting the rifle or the ammunition, or whether something occurred during the past three years that may have effected the zero. I did sight in at 200m yesterday, vs 200 yards initially, but 20 yards should only make a difference of about 3/4", which still leaves a difference of about 2-1/2". The only other thing that has me wondering, is that the vertical adjuster was not set to zero , and I usually do set them to zero after doing a sight in. The adjusters do pull out to zero , but now I am wondering if the calibrated rim was not fully pushed back in and tightening the cap may have turned it. The direction of rotation is correct to lower the point of impact. It doesn't seen likely, but until I shoot in warm weather again, I have no better explanation.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-14-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:42 PM

My routine for zeroing my hunting rifle starts from this point. Today, -9C
*Rifle/ammo left in vehicle outside overnight
Day 1
* Three shot groups at 300/200/100m
* Scope adjustment to zero at 200m
Day 2
* Repeat above...at 300/200m
* Final adjustment if necessary to zero at 200m.
If I have time, I will shoot a cold bore shot at 100m on two different days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk