Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Banned

Default ION Ice Augers

I've been hearing a lot of raving about these ION battery powered ice augers, some are saying they would never go back to gas. Are these the real deal? Saw them on sale at Crappy Tire. Never thought battery would outdo a gas powered machine. Anyone have first hand knowledge?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Need more volts!!!

Get a Lithium Ion Battery driven auger with the most volts possible.

Neighbour at the lake is 76 years old so needed something other than a rope start machine. His has to the best of my memory 40 volts?????

Anyways, 20 holes in a row in 3 foot ice to show it off, and it kept on going.

I was impressed.

Drewski
Old 11-15-2017, 09:06 PM

Personally I love the smell of 2 stroke in the winter . The only advantage of the Ion I can personally see is the ability to drill holes inside the shelter without polluting the air. A friend has one and says its good as long as you leave the battery inside the truck between uses if its cold out (I'm sure he didn't mean the whole unit). I would hate to find out the cost of replacement batteries once they stop holding a charge.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:13 PM

I can see a lot of advantages. Never have to worry about bad fuel/carbs. No smell. No fighting to start it. As for keeping battery warm, those adhesive toe warmers would work just fine. I use them while hunting on my little video camera. Stole the idea from Hugenuge...
Old 11-15-2017, 09:54 PM
Banned

This will be my second season with the Ion, pretty happy with it so far. Quite a bit lighter than the old Jiffy and no more fooling with mixing gas, carb settings, spark plugs, temperamental starting, and it is much nicer in the shack. No smoke and reverse is handy.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:20 AM
Banned

Third year with the ION. My Jiffey has been parked in the corner since. A truely great auger and I've never had a problem yet. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:34 AM

I am on my 3rd yr with my ion. I love the fact that I can go into a hut and drop 4 holes and not require a respirator to breath.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:36 PM

I have a Ion for 4 years now. Love it. Half the weight of a gas power unit and no fumes inside my ice shack. It will drill enough holes for me in a day. Last year I got about 33 holes through 3' or more of ice in one day before the battery crapped out. Just put your battery in the truck between uses or get the insulated carrying bag and use body hotshots.

I am still using the original battery, just remember to charge the battery during the summer. I usually do it once or twice during the off season.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:49 PM

A friend has the ION. Looks great, works good but I worry about batteries, espechially when hole jumping, in really cold weather and, of course, when I see replacement batteries at $200 a crack.

I had a big gas Eskimo and sold it - it cut like butter but blew smoke and leaked a stinking mess.

So, contemplating what to do, I bought a propane auger 10". Propane is cleaner, starts on one very easy light pull, and doesn't cough smoke in the tent.

Propane is another choice - but you won't go wrong with the ion as long as you are ok with the potential battery replacement cost and potentially running it out of juice - but you would have to drill lots and lots of holes if that was the issue.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:49 PM

I worked with a guy that had the Ion. Worked great, as long as you remembered the battery. Had to use it for work, drove out to the location, hiked a couple miles into the bush and he forgot the battery in his room. I made a fire and waited till he came back.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:03 PM
Banned

Thanks guys, I'm sold. ION it is.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:36 AM

They have been using them up at the Gahcho Kue mine in the NWT for water sampling in the winter, they really like them.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Banned

When I worked at Cabelas and these first came out they let staff take one out it was the best. No more carrying gas and oil. No more winterizing my auger. I tried to tell guys how great they were and they laughed in my face" never be better than gas, won't have enough power, only gonna cut 2or3 holes per charge" ! Now every body wants one. So think about this when it comes to electric cars the day is coming faster than most of you can handle. Its going to be the same they will soon be all the rage guaranteed!