Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-09-2020, 08:08 PM

Default Taxidermy for Problem Bears?

Neighbour has a large black bear that has been terrorizing the property, ripping up garbage, eating honey, ripping up feed stacks... we intend to remove this bear and I understand that once the bear is killed fish and wildlife has to be informed but my question is once this black bear is dead and the respective authorities informed, are we allowed to taxidermize it and if so what documentation has to be filled out?
Thanks in advance
Old 07-09-2020, 08:25 PM

Black Bear and Coyote*
Any person who is (a) the owner or occupant of privately owned land, or (b) authorized to keep livestock on public land, or (c) a resident authorized by a person described in (a) or a resident authorized in writing by a person described in (b) may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) black bear or coyote on such lands, at all times of the year.

* It is not legally necessary to salvage pelts of furbearing animals (includes coyote and wolf) or black bear taken in accordance with regulations authorizing the control of problem wildlife set out in this part. The skin and skull of cougar taken on privately-owned land as described must be submitted at time of registration as noted, but the cougar pelt does not need to be further salvaged. Click here for information about seasons for coyote and wolf.

doesn't say anything about black bears needing to be submitted.

Best to confirm with Fish & Wildlife though
Old 07-09-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
Neighbour has a large black bear that has been terrorizing the property, ripping up garbage, eating honey, ripping up feed stacks... we intend to remove this bear and I understand that once the bear is killed fish and wildlife has to be informed but my question is once this black bear is dead and the respective authorities informed, are we allowed to taxidermize it and if so what documentation has to be filled out?
Thanks in advance
Shoot it and take it to the taxidermist. Not sure why F&W needs to be drug into it.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-09-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Shoot it and take it to the taxidermist. Not sure why F&W needs to be drug into it.
Yep
Old 07-09-2020, 09:19 PM

I've always been asked for a copy of the hunting license from the taxidermist. Maybe that's just their own policy but if they are required to be regulation you may need to get a form or letter or something from Fish and Wildlife saying that it was taken legally. I don't have a definitive answer either way, but just a thought.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Banned

You will need a letter from f&w. It will state who is authorized to do the shooting. You'll need sufficient evidence or call them over to confirm the problem bear. Farmer i deal with went this route and did not have any issues, rockyview county 314.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:46 PM

Read the wildlife act.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-09-2020, 10:02 PM

This is ridiculous. There are many hundreds of problem bears shot every year. NO ONE reports them to fish and wildlife, nor is there any requirement to. You can do whatever you want with the meat and hide, including leaving them as bait or food for other animals.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:31 PM

Appreciate the input guys, have a great evening!
Old 07-09-2020, 11:24 PM
Banned

If it’s a grizzly you need to make some phone calls
Black bear, your good to go
Old 07-09-2020, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
Thanks in advance
Not a grizz that he was asking about.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
This is ridiculous. There are many hundreds of problem bears shot every year. NO ONE reports them to fish and wildlife, nor is there any requirement to. You can do whatever you want with the meat and hide, including leaving them as bait or food for other animals.
Biggest question being how the hide is ? By the time they become a problem bear, the hide is probably pretty poor.

Grizz
Old 07-10-2020, 07:40 AM

All you need is the legal land description of the land. And the taxidermist writes in on your copy of the paperwork.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
You will need a letter from f&w. It will state who is authorized to do the shooting. You'll need sufficient evidence or call them over to confirm the problem bear. Farmer i deal with went this route and did not have any issues, rockyview county 314.
To take it to the taxidermist he needed to do all that?
Old 07-10-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
To take it to the taxidermist he needed to do all that?
No, you don’t.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-10-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Read the wildlife act.
Will you please show where in the wildlife act it states this? I looked and cannot find anything.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:54 AM

Good god. No wonder.............

There is ONE correct answer. And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with calling F&W or "designated shooter" or getting a tattoo on your ass, or providing an interpretive dance of the incident.......

Last edited by huntinstuff; 07-10-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Good god. No wonder.............

There is ONE correct answer. And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with calling F&W or "designated shooter" or getting a tattoo on your ass, or providing an interpretive dance of the incident.......
If the OP has intentions of taking the problem bear to a taxidermist, then yes fins and feathers will need to be contacted. Taxidermists will need to record licence / permit / ext to have the hide or head in their possession...
Old 07-10-2020, 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=Sledhead71;4200632]If the OP has intentions of taking the problem bear to a taxidermist, then yes fins and feathers will need to be contacted. Taxidermists will need to record licence / permit / ext to have the hide or head in their possession...[/QUOTE

No license reqd. They might ask for the land location
Old 07-10-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
If the OP has intentions of taking the problem bear to a taxidermist, then yes fins and feathers will need to be contacted. Taxidermists will need to record licence / permit / ext to have the hide or head in their possession...
You are plain and simply wrong. Call a taxidermist and ask him, better yet call the specific Taxidermist he wants to use, there is variation even among them. Never ceases to amaze me the amount of wrong information that gets posted on here all the time. So many people post what they think or what they read somewhere else on the net, and often have no direct experience with the actual question. Anyone that relies on this forum for advice they can be charged with for following is taking a big risk.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:13 AM

Perhaps a phone call the taxidermist to ask them what is required in this situation?

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-10-2020, 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=huntinstuff;4200636]
Quote:
If the OP has intentions of taking the problem bear to a taxidermist, then yes fins and feathers will need to be contacted. Taxidermists will need to record licence / permit / ext to have the hide or head in their possession...[/QUOTE

No license reqd. They might ask for the land location
I wouldn't call it a licence, but more a permit... A land location works for say a badger or coyote where no licence is required.

The taxidermist to my understanding needs a record of harvest or a permit to accept and have in their possession...
Old 07-10-2020, 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=Sledhead71;4200642]
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

I wouldn't call it a licence, but more a permit... A land location works for say a badger or coyote where no licence is required.

The taxidermist to my understanding needs a record of harvest or a permit to accept and have in their possession...
Yup

Taxi will ask where it was taken and who took it. That way he/she can account for it if they get asked about it.

F&W has zip to do with it.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
You are plain and simply wrong. Call a taxidermist and ask him, better yet call the specific Taxidermist he wants to use, there is variation even among them. Never ceases to amaze me the amount of wrong information that gets posted on here all the time. So many people post what they think or what they read somewhere else on the net, and often have no direct experience with the actual question. Anyone that relies on this forum for advice they can be charged with for following is taking a big risk.
X2

My son and I have shot all our bears on private land. He shot his first when he was 6.

ALL taxidermists asked us where and who. No license, no permit required. Its one of Albertas best hunting regulations. So simple. It was posted above what the act states.

My son was 6. He is a resident of Alberta. He was on private land to which he has right of access/permission. Done deal.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Black bear does not meet the intention of control of problem wildlife with-out consulting F & W.

Regulations allow landholders (residents only) to take immediate action to control some problem wildlife. The following privileges are beyond those permitted under fur management licences.

Contact your Fish and Wildlife field office when furbearers other than the species shown in this section are destroying property, as a damage control licence may be necessary:

Fish & Wildlife Offices, Alberta Environment and Parks
Note: Section 40 of the Wildlife Act specifies that no person shall hunt wildlife or discharge firearms on or over occupied lands, or enter on such lands for the purpose of doing so, without the consent of the owner or occupant.

Beaver

May be hunted and trapped, without a licence and during all seasons, on privately owned land by the owner or occupant of the land, or by a resident with written permission from the owner or occupant of the land.
Wolf

May be hunted — but not trapped — without a licence during all seasons, as follows:
On privately owned land by the owner or occupant of the land, or by a resident with permission from the owner or occupant.
On public land by a person authorized to keep livestock on that land, or by a resident who has written permission from that authorized person.
Note: The above authorities to hunt wolves extend to lands within 8 km (5 mi.) of the land described above, provided the authorized person or resident has right of access.

Coyote

May be hunted — but not trapped — at all times of the year throughout the province:
By a resident who has right of access to hunt on the lands that are not public lands within the Green Area.
By the owner or occupant of privately owned land, on the privately owned land.
By a person maintaining livestock on public land, on that public land.
On lands described in the point above that are in the Green Area, by a resident who is authorized in writing by the person described in the point above.
Red Fox

May be hunted — but not trapped — without a licence and during all seasons, by a resident on privately owned land to which the resident has the right of access.
Badger

May be hunted, without a licence and during all seasons, by a resident on privately owned land to which the resident has the right of access.
Skunk and Raccoon

May be hunted or trapped during all seasons by the owner or occupant of land, or by a person authorized by the owner or occupant, or by the holder of a licence authorizing the trapping of furbearing animals.
Rabbit or Hare

May be hunted by a resident without traps, throughout the province at any time of year, without a licence. A resident may use snares to take rabbit or hare, provided the snare meets the requirements set out in the Alberta Guide to Trapping Regulations.
Bobcat

May be hunted — but not trapped — by a resident in WMUs 102, 104, 106, 108, 112, 116, 118 and 119 and that part of WMU 110 east of Highway 2 and south of Highway 3.
For further information on wolf and coyote hunting, including seasons, refer to:

Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations

Updated: Jul 23, 2015

Regulations
Control of Problem Wildlife

Report-A-Poacher logoReport-A-Poacher
RAP Incident Form
Old 07-10-2020, 11:07 AM

ST71

So you are just going to keep arguing no matter how wrong you are? Bear just has to be on private land, or lease to get shot without a license any time of the year. What you posted is in addition to the Regulations below, it does not supersede or cancel them.

Quote:
Black Bear and Coyote*
Any person who is (a) the owner or occupant of privately owned land, or (b) authorized to keep livestock on public land, or (c) a resident authorized by a person described in (a) or a resident authorized in writing by a person described in (b) may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) black bear or coyote on such lands, at all times of the year.

* It is not legally necessary to salvage pelts of furbearing animals (includes coyote and wolf) or black bear taken in accordance with regulations authorizing the control of problem wildlife set out in this part. The skin and skull of cougar taken on privately-owned land as described must be submitted at time of registration as noted, but the cougar pelt does not need to be further salvaged. Click here for information about seasons for coyote and wolf.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
ST71

So you are just going to keep arguing no matter how wrong you are? Bear just has to be on private land, or lease to get shot without a license any time of the year. What you posted is in addition to the Regulations below, it does not supersede or cancel them.
No argument Dean, just provided some information that specifies to contact fish and wildlife for black bear.

We all know on private lands these animals can be destroyed by the owner or designee if they are a problem.

Anyways, enjoy your day
Old 07-10-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
No argument Dean, just provided some information that specifies to contact fish and wildlife for black bear.

We all know on private lands these animals can be destroyed by the owner or designee if they are a problem.

Anyways, enjoy your day
No where in what you posted does it say that, nor is it implied anywhere in there. Black Bear is a Big Game animal, it is not classed as a fur bearer. Trappers cannot trap Black Bear on a registered trap line, or on private land. The section you quoted applies to Fur bearers, and excludes the specific animals from needing to contact F and W.

The published section I quoted above is VERY clear.. THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO CONTACT Fish and Wildlife before, during or after shooting a Black Bear on Private Property, nor is any license or permit required. You are giving the OP and others reading this thread bad information. If you want to call the Fish Cops be my guest but quit telling everyone else they have to also.

Do us all a favour, call Fish and Wildlife and ask them since you won't believe us. Let them tell you you are wrong, you don't have to come back on here and admit it.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-10-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:25 AM

I am a landowner and I have done this and I am just amazed at all the wrong answers that people post on here this is the last place I would go for information.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I am a landowner and I have done this and I am just amazed at all the wrong answers that people post on here this is the last place I would go for information.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Exactly

Its.like the old wives tale that if you post no hunting on your land you cant hunt there either......

Or those stupid signs that read "No Trespassing without Permission"

How do you trespass WITH permission????

How about "No Access without Permission".....