Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 09:22 AM

Default Youth shotgun

Im planning to get my 12 yr old son a fun YOUTH 20 guage shotgun. I have never had a 20 g.. all my shotguns are 12g.

I wonder if I should get him a double barrel or pump?
I am a double barrel guy but not sure if there are too many options out there. it seems like pumps are more popular and less expensive anyway.
he has only shot 22 for gofer shooting so far,, so shot gun would be new to him and I dont want him to be intimidated by the gun... thats why I thought a double barrel might be a better choice than pump, just pulling trigger instead of pumping.

I also consider used guns too. we have checkd out the Condor over and under, he liked it but man was it ever stiff to open... I dont know if that was the only one or they all come out that stiff.

anyone out there has gone this path so they can give me an advice or two?
cheers
Old 07-02-2020, 09:31 AM

How big is your 12 year old? If he is smaller in stature, a youth model pump action is likely the best choice on a smaller budget.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:31 AM

Remington 870 youth pump is a great gun for young ones. Sized right! Did that with both mine when they were young
Old 07-02-2020, 09:33 AM

Curious your thought on a modest budget. Very very few manufacturers cater to youth. Now one can always cut down
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How big is your 12 year old? If he is smaller in stature, a youth model pump action is likely the best choice on a smaller budget.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:04 AM

I find a light weight 20 kicks just as hard as a 12, and they need a 12 in the next year or 2 anyway.

On the other hand theres nothing wrong with owning both.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:09 AM

How about let your son choose the shotgun he wants? If he does not like the firearm you get him he might not continue shooting.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-02-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Curious your thought on a modest budget. Very very few manufacturers cater to youth. Now one can always cut down
I like the Silver Micro, but the cost is twice as much as most pump actions. The Silver provides far less recoil, than a pump action.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:55 PM

Default Youth Shotgun

My sons hated their 20G Rem 870 Express Youth. Kicked hard they said. They shot a friends 20G Beneli and loved it.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:08 PM

20’s kick a lot in the youth/ladies configuration, I’ve got a cut down Rem 870 butt stock here I’ll give you for free, it fits the 12 ga model, which my boy gladly moved to at age 10.5, after getting pretty beat up by a light weight youth model 20 gauge.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-02-2020, 04:10 PM

Default Youth shotgun

I was looking for a 20 gauge for my son when a friend suggested that he try the Winchester featherweight semi 12 gauge that I already have. I think its a model 94, going on memory. The kid surprised me and shot it great. Its light enough and short enough and the recoil is fine.
Just adding an idea. Getting kids shooting and having fun is the name of the game.
kidd.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:00 PM

thanks everyone for your input. my son is not tiny, he is medium weight for his height, the most important thing is the length of pull as he is not as tall as some of his friends, but you never know it might be next week that he gets 3 inches taller.. its the age thing.
whatever I buy we will keep it, not sure how much will it get used but probably for a season or two .
I like to spend not more than 500 for it.. the over and under Stoeger we saw in Bass pro was almost 700, and he liked it just by holding it. but as I said what disappointed me was the stiffness of it.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
How about let your son choose the shotgun he wants? If he does not like the firearm you get him he might not continue shooting.

good idea if we could shoot and choose.. but by holding them, he will probably will like them all . LOL
Old 07-02-2020, 09:09 PM

I agree with some above that maybe consider a 12 gauge in an auto? One of the high school trap teams I coach has an armory of 12 gauge Tri Star shotguns. Darn things are affordable and the youth put a ton of rounds thru them. No issues yet with any of them.
They do make youth stocks for them as well.
I mention the auto for the soft recoil.

Osky
Old 07-03-2020, 02:45 PM

What purpose is the shotgun going to serve? Geese, ducks, upland? For safety if it's an intro to firearms a single shot break action or double barrel would be a good bet. It's nice to know when the gun is safe with a new shooter. These are inexpensive and would be easy to resell when he grows out of it.
https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=22559

Hard to find specialty firearms in Canada I find such as youth models. Might be worth checking the used market.

I bought the Remington 870 youth model for my wife in 20g and she likes it.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 07-03-2020, 03:32 PM

My first intro into shot gunning was a 2 3/4” 870. #12. My daughters was a 3 1/2” 870. Her first shot spun her around 90, but she dialed in and can give me a go anyday. Universal gun, everyone should have one.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock Fever View Post
What purpose is the shotgun going to serve? Geese, ducks, upland? For safety if it's an intro to firearms a single shot break action or double barrel would be a good bet. It's nice to know when the gun is safe with a new shooter. These are inexpensive and would be easy to resell when he grows out of it.
https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=22559

Hard to find specialty firearms in Canada I find such as youth models. Might be worth checking the used market.

I bought the Remington 870 youth model for my wife in 20g and she likes it.
The only issue with the single shots, is that they are so light, the recoil is greater. A 20 gauge single is often harsher than a semi auto 12 gauge.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The only issue with the single shots, is that they are so light, the recoil is greater. A 20 gauge single is often harsher than a semi auto 12 gauge.

That’s a good point and definitely something to consider. It all comes back to the purpose for me. Though I guess if the intention was solely for grouse you’d go .410.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 07-03-2020, 04:44 PM

I found my daughter a Remington 1100 LW (light weight) in 20 g when she was 14. It really fit her well, and being a semi auto the recoil was not bad at all. She shoots it like a champ. The only problem is finding one, as they only made them a couple years back in the 70s.....but a friend we shoot skeet and sporting clays with tried it, and loved it....and managed to find one! So they are out there, and worth looking for. If I remember correctly I got mine for $600...? Anyway, a good used one is worth getting.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-03-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
That’s a good point and definitely something to consider. It all comes back to the purpose for me. Though I guess if the intention was solely for grouse you’d go .410.

I would not go with a 410 at all. For ground swatting grouse, a 20 gauge aiming high will put less shot in the meat, than a 410 aimed center mass. And for wing shooting, a 410 is the worst possible choice for a new shooter.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:07 PM

As long as he holds a shotgun tight to his cheek leans forward on his left leg and is fairly relaxed most shotguns wont do more than push him a little.

My son started at 11 or so with a light load in a single shot 12 gauge Cooey 84. Its one of the safest guns out there for a beginner.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:25 PM

Thanks to all who shared their thoughts.

I decided to test his ability, before I make a decision...
After realizing that I still have a full box of 12g shells 1.oz target load... I took him out to the field and let him try my over under Stevens 555.
the shot gun is failry light and absolute pleasure to shoot (at least for me),.. so I taught him how to shoulder and hold it while aiming,..

by the look of it, surprisingly he was quite comfortable with the length of pull and also the weight of the gun.
I loaded a shell and asked him to shoot into the air... BANG.... he was standing solid and looked at me with a giant grin on is face, asking: " Can I shoot more?'
and Im like: hahaha...

anyway:
He shot the whole box, and I was hand throwing the pigeons and of course he didnt shoot any of them ( never expected him either) but this boosted his confidence with the gun,. I am so relieved that he can use my gun and No need to buy another one.
he can use the overunder and I will use my semi auto this year... but I will take it easy with him this season.

anyways. thanks to all for your input.. reading throwing different ideas is the key to come up with a good one.

by the way I also took 100 rounds of 22 shots that we ended up not shooting many of them.. hahaha,, he loved the shotgun a lot more.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:31 AM

Quote:

I am looking at single shot .410 for my 10 year old

The recoil is not the only thing to consider - the weight of the shotgun itself may be a concern depending on the size and strength of your child.

Most 20 ga will weight more than most .410

My son can lift a 20 ga and shoot it in a trap stand, but how well can he carry that for hours in the field? Less well than a 20 ga, so for $168 he will use a .410 for upland
Old 07-12-2020, 12:26 PM

Default Maverick 20ga.

I bought my son a 20ga. When he was 13. I didn’t want to spend much as I didn’t think he would be using it long. The maverick 20ga. Fit the bill perfect. He’s just turning 18 and still loves shooting that gun. Box’s through that gun and never an issue or complaints from him
Old 07-12-2020, 10:25 PM

I bought a 870 youth model for my daughter, it’s a nice gun and I recommend it.
I did notice Mossberg had a 20 gauge youth model with spacers though that may be a good option also.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:54 AM

I'm not sure how people say a 20ga kicks the same as a 12ga, or that the recoil is the same as a 12ga. I own both (both are semi auto) and even with the 3” magnum in the 20ga the recoil is still considerably less than the 12ga with a 2 3/4” shell. That being said when my wife (5 feet tall and very small) wanted to come hunting, I never even considered a 12ga for her, I bought a Franchii Affinity 20ga youth/compact, it maybe is not the cheapest gun on the market but it is a great gun and comes with butt plates to extend the length of pull so that the shooter can grow into it for many years.