Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-09-2020, 11:41 AM

Default Wmu 404: advice and recommendations requested

Got drawn for antlered WT in this area. I’ve been in part of it but, the more I study, the larger it seems to get. The WMU map isn’t the best and, as is typical it seems, the region covers several map sheets, PLUZ’s, provincial parks, woodlands, treaty lands, etc. From some older posts (circa 2015-2016) Im aware that it’s challenging, mountainous, and diverse. I’ve been into and around Bob Creek scouting for Elk several times so im somewhat familiar with the terrain.

Past advice includes hunting river, creek beds , up to and including the tree line. Generally, I’ve hunted tree stands (up near Sundre / Caroline) but that strategy is out this year unless we find some good game trails to sit near around dawn and dusk.

We have a small trailer and, weather permitting, are prepared to tent it at least for a couple of nights. Any advice on places to camp (including back country) would be great.

Any word on General access, camping, hot spots, areas to avoid, and past hunting anecdotes from the area are certainly welcome.

Thanks, and good luck this year
Old 07-09-2020, 01:16 PM

I've been successful west of Indian Grave campground. That was 10+ years ago, I don't know how much things changed, but that can be a starting point.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:06 PM

I’ve often thought drawing for a buck in that area, just to have an opportunity of a week in a tent. That’s what you should do make it into a trip, enjoy a few days and you’ll get one.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:15 PM

There has been a lot of logging activity the last few years throughout much of 404. Information from last fall may not be relevant this fall as area that used to have grass and trees are now ... um ... different. The best thing to do would be to hike and check it out to get the latest info. Good luck. Mountain deer are fun and rewarding deer. I agree that indian graves is a good starting point.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:16 AM

It's tough hunting and not a ton of deer. But if you put in the miles and sit high, you can definitely find the odd whitetail. There shouldn't be any treaty lands in it, but lots of parks and different topography to watch out for.

Also lots of cougars, wolves and grizzlies. Grab a tag for the species you are allowed and have fun chasing. Bring a good backpack and have a friend on speed dial to help pack it out.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:00 PM

404 is my favorite zone. Unfortunately game numbers are down from years ago. There is actually more whities to the east in 310. If you do end up down by Indian graves just stay near the creeks in the aspens. I haven't seen any white tails up high so no need to climb the hills.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit4u View Post
404 is my favorite zone. Unfortunately game numbers are down from years ago. There is actually more whities to the east in 310. If you do end up down by Indian graves just stay near the creeks in the aspens. I haven't seen any white tails up high so no need to climb the hills.
Yup.

I'd find a spot to sit on a downwind hill overlooking a creekbed with small meadows.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-09-2020, 12:24 PM

Regrets on replying to all but I just wanted to let you know that I’ve been down in 404 several time’s now and camped at Indian Graves twice. On my recon I physically saw two WT. Unfortunately, one dead in a ditch beside the Cateract Creek rec area and a ‘live’ doe down around Indian Graves. Lots of logging has occurred and tons of free range cattle south of the Highwood. Past the Highwood junction (North) I saw zero sign of WT deer. That area seems more consistent with either elk, moose, or sheep. The south eastern portions of 404 look better with limited deer sign, although, I did see several Small herds of Big Horns just where the foothills morph into mountains (near Plateau mountain/ Windy Pass) They were on the gravel road licking what appeared to be mineral deposits and were pretty tame. They actually walked up to my truck, I suspect looking for a handout.

I appreciate your advice and wish you luck this year.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:02 PM

Go East.

Stay close to the border....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-09-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Regrets on replying to all but I just wanted to let you know that I’ve been down in 404 several time’s now and camped at Indian Graves twice. On my recon I physically saw two WT. Unfortunately, one dead in a ditch beside the Cateract Creek rec area and a ‘live’ doe down around Indian Graves. Lots of logging has occurred and tons of free range cattle south of the Highwood. Past the Highwood junction (North) I saw zero sign of WT deer. That area seems more consistent with either elk, moose, or sheep. The south eastern portions of 404 look better with limited deer sign, although, I did see several Small herds of Big Horns just where the foothills morph into mountains (near Plateau mountain/ Windy Pass) They were on the gravel road licking what appeared to be mineral deposits and were pretty tame. They actually walked up to my truck, I suspect looking for a handout.

I appreciate your advice and wish you luck this year.
Whitetails like the regrowth in cut blocks, don't write them off.

Grizz
Old 09-11-2020, 09:47 AM

I've spent a bunch of time in 404 this year scouting and hiking to get in shape. It's been insanely busy in that zone with campers, backpackers and hikers. I was out yesterday and counted over 20 people hiking through where I was hunting. Hwy 40 both north and south of Highwood Junction has been a zoo this year and Indian Graves has been no exception. Hopefully the animals have become used to this instead of being spooked by it.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:23 PM

Default Action in 404

So I hunted that area In 404, mainly East and West around Indian Graves in some of the coldest weather I’ve experienced since getting out of the Army. Three weeks ago, during the fist snomaggedan, it was -25, and that was still in Oct.

In any regard, we pushed lots of bush and saw loads of sign for deer, moose, elk, and bear. In the two weekends we hunted, which went from -25 to + 20, I saw around 12 whitetail does/ fawns and a bull moose.

The area (at least south of 404) is VERY busy, especially on weekends when it resembles what it was probably like during Woodstock, just without the hippies. Quads, trucks, and people all over the roads.

Ultimately, we didn’t fill out special tags but it was worth it overall. Thanks for the advice.