Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 06:10 PM

Default vehicle inspections, used dealers, scrap yards

Hi all,

I have a 2002 chev cavalier with 310,000 km and I'm the sole owner so know the history.... I am trying to change insurance companies to save $300 a year but the new company needed an insurance inspection. Apparently vehicles over 12 yrs old need them now. Inspection failed due to a control arm bushing issue. I'm surprised as there is no vibration. This is a $20 part and $650 in labor!! It also failed due to rust on the body, leaking oil valve gasket.

I'm thinking of repairing it. Anyone have a good mechanic in Calgary whose hourly rate is less?

If I decide to walk away from my car, I need some ideas for "reputable" used dealers in Calgary. Would also like to know where you'd suggest I donate or try to sell the car for scrap to? I don't foresee being able to sell it with the failed inspection, even though it runs awesome otherwise.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:27 PM

We gave a few old cars to the Kidney foundation up Edmonton way. They come get them and one was at our out of town place just outside Edmonton a bit. They then give you a tax receipt for a few dollars(minimum $75) as a donation receipt. One i think my kid got $150 tax receipt for it.

Different ins. co. have different limits on year they will insure with out inspection. My insurance co. Intact through Brokerlink is 15 years if you switch to them..

If you stay with ins. your at they wont ask for inspection. Or at least ours never has and we have one 17 year old timer insured with them for years. Sounds to me like it might be cheaper to keep insurance you have rather than try to save on ins and have to do inspection. And rather than spend for parts so long as you feel its safe to drive. Im not recommending in anyway that you should drive in a unsafe car though.`

Last edited by cranky; 05-25-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:10 PM

I wouldn't want to be unsafe nor put others at risk. I'm very poor at knowing what's happening mechanically, so have to go with the mechanic's thought that the bushing does need fixing but it won't endanger anyone.

I suppose it is all a matter of perspective. For example, the windshield has a crack of more than 6 inches so it failed. It doesn't obstruct my view but could pop out in an accident... The body has rust, so it failed due to that also. I've gotten different opinions about whether body work must be done to pass the next inspection. It is annoying that this is subjective.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:14 PM
Banned

it's 15 years old and has served you well...time for an upgrade.

at this point it's a money pit keeping it on the road.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:22 PM
Banned

http://drayden.com/wp-content/upload...eport-Form.pdf
This is the form that should have been used. To fail the body condition box, your car would have to be rusted beyond all help to fail
Leaking valve cover gasket?? Not even on the list..You need a second opinion
Control arm bushings ?? Lower vertical or horizontal? All of them or 1 or 2 ??
Sum-ting-wong
Old 05-25-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
This is the form that should have been used. To fail the body condition box, your car would have to be rusted beyond all help to fail
Sum-ting-wong
Agree
Old 05-25-2017, 09:22 PM

Shoot me a pm i got time at the shop next week you could stop by i can give it a quick once and let you price and whats wrong . Weigh options then go from there?? Located in the NE part of city by universal ford.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhere View Post
Shoot me a pm i got time at the shop next week you could stop by i can give it a quick once and let you price and whats wrong . Weigh options then go from there?? Located in the NE part of city by universal ford.
This is the kind of thing I enjoy this forum for. Good on you!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
Sum-ting-wong
Yes, it was a similar form. Control arm bushing was listed under front suspension (2)

The rust is around the wheel well and there is a one inch wide, 3 inches long opening.

Valve cover leak was noted on the complete inspection report.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:45 PM

Very kind!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Old 05-26-2017, 02:38 PM

I try to do basic repairs and maintenance myself, but anything with the internal engine/steering I don't have the skills or tools for. I would take overhere up on his offer.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:49 PM

Because it doesn't pass doesn't mean you can't sell it. It means the new buyer can't insure it until it's repaired. No harm no foul if you inform the new buyer of everything and they want to go ahead and do the repairs themselves, etc. Heck, give them a copy of the failed inspection.

However, I suspect the number of people who want to take that on is small. You might want to just drive it until it dies, even at the extra 300 a year, haul it to the junkyard, and then get a new or newer car.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:58 PM

Call leibel insurance brokers. I had the same problem with my old company wanted me to get an inspection on my 2004 RV because of its age but it was parked in a snow bank for the winter and by spring the insurance would be expired so I wouldn't be able to take it to an inspector. I told leibel my problem and they found a company that did not need an inspection.

http://www.ligroup.ca/?gclid=CKGdi9aIj9QCFQMJaQodUkgEvA

I think your other option is going to a shady shop and getting it passed.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
yup