Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 09:22 AM
Banned

Default That poor kid fishing on the dock!!

I always remember being that kid and watching other kids leaving with their families in a nice fancy boat.I always feel like asking a kid to hop in but this world has changed and the parents would prob have ya arrested.I guess you could make the kid bring his parents down to discuss it but I have to say I wish someone would have asked me back then! I love watching my favorite niece catch walleye,we have been fishing buddies since she was 3-4,she is 11 now and she never forgets anything i teach her...now she keeps me busy taking off fish.I taught her jigging techniques on her first trip she landed 11 walleye,the next trip she knew exactly what to do! I think I made a friend for life.An ice fishing rod is perfect for a lil 3-4yr old.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:09 AM

I have no idea how many kids I've taken out fishing from the dock or off shore. Always with parents permission of course. Quite often take mom or dad if there's room too. Had an Asian dad and his son with me for a couple hours last year. He barely spoke English but the 5 of us caught perch like crazy and had a blast!!

I've never regretted taking a kid with me. It's an experience they might only get once.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:10 AM

Awesome. Good man!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:16 AM

Sometimes it's the kid on the dock that catch's the biggest fish.
I also will take any youngun out that I'm allowed to.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:17 AM

Had the same issue this weekend. Mom and kid down at the dock and little kid looked at my boat with big eyes and mentioned wanting to go out. Unfortunately had the small boat and didn't have room for mom and child but it would have been cool to take that kid out for a ride and some fishing. I'm sure it would have been something he wouldn't have forgotten. Just wasn't comfortable asking out of the blue to take the kid as I'm sure it would have raised an eyebrow and maybe even got me reported. Kinda sad that we have to worry like that but the stakes are pretty high from both sides.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Get them hooked on fishing and boats, they won't have time or money for drugs maybe.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-25-2017, 10:23 AM

What's the harm in asking the parents?

How will we ever salvage parts of the "good old days" if we don't try?

Great heartfelt thoughts FBB, and thanks Fitzy, that's awsome!

My Guido was great for filling up the boat with those who were stuck on shore, even to the point where his grandkids were left behind for a turn.

One of my favourite memories, Guido noticed the local preacher fishing alone on shore. Told us kids to reel in, drove to shore, kicked us out and let the preacher in.

An hour later after waiting in the rain Guido and the preacher came back to share kubasa and a capful of rye.

Despite being a little ****ed and cold, my cousin and I knew that this was a good day.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-25-2017, 10:30 AM

We were staying at waterhen lake for a month once and there was a lady who'd brought her German parents to go fishing. It was the dads dream to fish for pike. They were using a rented boat and German fishing techniques that weren't working so well. I took him (Frans) and his granddaughter out with us for the rest of the time they were there. We had a blast, and made a lifelong friendship... There's a standing invitation to visit Germany any time we want. I guess not all kids wanting to go fishing are small! Frans, was in his glory hauling out pike and he learned to cook fish over a fire. I even took him 4x4ing and he had another story to take back to the old country.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:10 AM

Good thread
I try to take people out as much as possible with premeditated intentions rather than spur of the moment. Brought a lot of newbies and foreign friends to Pigeon lake. Those days are unforgettable.
It's something to keep in mind for sure if there's an extra spot in the boat. Thanks OP
Old 05-25-2017, 11:13 AM

I have been asked several times in the past by kids on the dock and told them to bring their parents by to meet me so we can have a talk- always worked out great!
Cat
Old 05-25-2017, 11:21 AM

Awesome stories, keep them coming!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:46 AM
Banned

I was that kid up until a few weeks ago,
and I'm 39.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
I always remember being that kid and watching other kids leaving with their families in a nice fancy boat.I always feel like asking a kid to hop in but this world has changed and the parents would prob have ya arrested.I guess you could make the kid bring his parents down to discuss it but I have to say I wish someone would have asked me back then! I love watching my favorite niece catch walleye,we have been fishing buddies since she was 3-4,she is 11 now and she never forgets anything i teach her...now she keeps me busy taking off fish.I taught her jigging techniques on her first trip she landed 11 walleye,the next trip she knew exactly what to do! I think I made a friend for life.An ice fishing rod is perfect for a lil 3-4yr old.
That sure brings back memories... I remember fishing from shore and just longing to get out on the lake where the fish were. It wasnt so much about a fancy boat though.
I would definitely talk to the parents, make room for them too if you can.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:56 AM

anyone in Edmonton want to take me out on a boat! lol! I just started fishing last year and i am about the size of a child! ha ha (dreaming of catching something bigger then a 8" trout from a pond)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Banned

I wish things were the same these days as the old,I would love to ask a kid but I always wonder how the parents would view this.I also think that people in general are scared,if something should happen they would face legal action or a lawsuit. I think it would be better for sure to invite a parent a long. Taking a kid fishing is a BIG DEAL!! They will remember this forever.I know and remember how big my nieces' eyes were when she hooked her first walleye,it will stay with me forever and I know I have a new best friend!!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

My Guido was great for filling up the boat with those who were stuck on shore, even to the point where his grandkids were left behind for a turn.

One of my favourite memories, Guido noticed the local preacher fishing alone on shore. Told us kids to reel in, drove to shore, kicked us out and let the preacher in.

An hour later after waiting in the rain Guido and the preacher came back to share kubasa and a capful of rye.

Despite being a little ****ed and cold, my cousin and I knew that this was a good day.
I had a dad randomly ask me if I would take his son and him out in the bigger boat and we went out and had a blast. Unfortunately however some people get real weird about unsolicited invitations specially when it comes to women and kids. Sad but it is what it is and I didn't want to cause any kind of scene. The last thing I wanted was a woman reporting me back to all the rest of the campers telling them to watch out for "that" guy. I'm sure 9/10 there would be no problem but that 10th time could cause some real embarrassment and potentially some explaining to law officials. Any kind of accusations involving kids can blow up real fast.

My BIL was watching his son's soccer game one day and shooting a few pictures to send to family and he was reported to the police. Police came and he had to explain what he was doing. Its a ...... world.

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-25-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:16 PM

We were camped with the inlaws. We had our boat, so we took one of the nephews with us. He landed two nice pike and the grin was ear to ear. On the way back to shore, he was sitting in the back and going to get drenched, but was content on staying there. Halfway back, I turn around and soaked to the gills is this huge smile you couldn't knock off with a sledgehammer. Back at shore he is pumped, and his dad with the most unenthusiastic remark, "well, I'm not taking him fishing, so he'll have to find someone else to go with". Our kids enjoy our family fishing trips, and we hardly ever go fishing without the whole family in the boat, and sometimes more. It's a time of bonding because "we're all in this together", with no place else to go.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
We were camped with the inlaws. We had our boat, so we took one of the nephews with us. He landed two nice pike and the grin was ear to ear. On the way back to shore, he was sitting in the back and going to get drenched, but was content on staying there. Halfway back, I turn around and soaked to the gills is this huge smile you couldn't knock off with a sledgehammer. Back at shore he is pumped, and his dad with the most unenthusiastic remark, "well, I'm not taking him fishing, so he'll have to find someone else to go with". Our kids enjoy our family fishing trips, and we hardly ever go fishing without the whole family in the boat, and sometimes more. It's a time of bonding because "we're all in this together", with no place else to go.
I live for those smiles!!!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:03 PM

I did something similar when I was bartending up the Whitehorse. A woman walks in and we start to chatting as she orders and imbibes, and very quickly it comes out that she's visiting the Yukon from Argentina and has it on her list that she really wants a chance to get out on a snow machine. At the end of the night we made arrangements to meet the next day and head out for a little tour on my old Summit.

I stopped in to the hostel that day to pick her up and go - only to promptly get grilled by the woman running the show there about our itinerary and such. I understand the concern, but man oh man this was a purely platonic thing between grown adults. In the end I convinced the proprietor through mutual acquaintances that I'm actually a decent guy.

The Argentine (Cande, was her name) and I had a great little afternoon. We ran the Copper Trail out to the ski hill, back into the mountains for a bit and then back to the ski hill chalet for a brew. Had her back to the hostel before the sun went down that day. ha

Sometimes you do nice things and it's met with complete scrutiny by others. If at all possible it's best to push through. I'm glad I did in this case.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:50 PM

Very enjoyable thread.

I don't have a boat, but took a lot of kids ice fishing this winter, and sent home fried fish with the kids for their parents. Always had a great time. Watching young ones catch fish is right up near the top.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Wilber, thats a nice story from the old days, but times have changed. Asking children onto your boat and giving them a shot of whiskey might get you in trouble today. Not to mention the liability issues.
Sounds like an idealic day though,
from the 40s to 70's. This is the 21 century,

Last edited by waterninja; 05-25-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:33 PM
Banned

Last edited by waterninja; 05-25-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 PM
Banned

Old 05-25-2017, 11:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Wilber, thats a nice story from the old days, but times have changed. Asking children onto your boat and giving them a shot of whiskey might get you in trouble today. Not to mention the liability issues.
Sorry, Wilber, misunderstood what you were referring to. I think i'ts great to get some of those shore fishermen onto a boat.
Guess my point was you should have parents permission, even if you thing you your doing a nice thing.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:32 AM

Lol, you ok Earnest?
Old 05-26-2017, 03:33 PM

Don't own a boat (fish from a kayak or pontoon for most part) so haven't taken anyone shore fishing out, but I did take a few kids shooting once. This was in BC. My dad, sister, and her family were camping in the interior. I went up for a visit and to get a few rifles ready for the upcoming season! Get up in the morning and decide to take my Dad's truck so as I am grabbing the rifles out if mine (not making a big show of it but they were in soft cases so it wasn't really a secret what they were) a kid in the site over jaw drops and mumbles are those real guns. When I say yes his eyes get huge and wants to see them! I was hesitant so I just said let me talk to your parents. As it worked out, the parents were hesitant as they had never been exposed to guns before were open. We struck an agreement that the dad and boy would follow my dad and I to the range where they could learn in a safe environment (I always keep a container of ear plugs in my truck and in this case we would make the shooter and myself wear safety glasses while the other 2 would make due with sunglasses). I always carry a bolt action 22 for cooling periods so that is what the boy shot but after a few I made the dad step up to the 308 We had some fun, then they left and I did some proper shooting. What was really funny was when I get to camp grounds a lady walks up to me and starts about I am I the man with the guns... I think great here it comes! As it turned out the boy I had taken in the morning had made friends with her son and told him all about it. She was wondering if I could take him out. I said sure and went back with her and her son. My favorite part was this kid wanted to try the 50yrd target. Said sure. Out of 10 shots I think only 2 were even on paper, but one was dead dead center! He was so happy! One of the best days at the range I ever had.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
World has changed because people are more careful not because there are fewer bad guys.

Classic case.

I was young...12 years old. Fishing fanatic. I left the campsite in the morning and fished till dark. Parents worried at first. Early on came wandering to find me. One day fishing was slow so I wandered off to another lake. Very hard to fish from shore once there. However a boat went by and a guy heard me ask how the fishing was. He said getting bites. I asked if I could ride along and he can keep all the fish. He agreed. Picked me up on shore. We fished till late then I wandered home. Never told the parents I hung out with a stranger all day at a remote lake.

Shortly there after another person was hanging with the local park warden. Park warden raped the person.

Same campground. Few days apart. Different guys and situations.

Some get lucky. Some get hurt.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-26-2017, 09:53 PM

Never taken an unknown kid on the boat, since it's a canoe, and it fills up fast with me and my kids. I do like to grab $10 rod and reel combos when crappy tire has them on sale though. It's great to have have spares for the kids to break, but the best part is being able to give them away to kids that wander up when I'm fishing. The stunned expression, and huge grin you get from that is worth way more than a tender to me. For the younger ones, a bundle of dollar store butterfly nets to give away gets the same reaction.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:53 PM
Banned

Well this weekend we took our nephew and his friend fishing ,at 14 he is a natural.I thought I finally had some competition!!! He landed a 5.5lb walleye,his biggest and he smiled for 2 days and kept asking when we are going out.I think I found a new buddy for fishing.On the first day our boat landed 100 fish and missed another 50.A good day that will remain in all of memories for decades to come.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtanelion View Post
I do like to grab $10 rod and reel combos when crappy tire has them on sale though. It's great to have have spares for the kids to break, but the best part is being able to give them away to kids that wander up when I'm fishing. The stunned expression, and huge grin you get from that is worth way more than a tender to me. For the younger ones, a bundle of dollar store butterfly nets to give away gets the same reaction.
Okay, now that is stellar! Kudos to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
True. That being said, I'd have no issues having a capful of rye with WB any time!