Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2017, 09:34 PM

Default Bought myself Ruger 10/22. Now what?

As the title says, I bought myself a Ruger 10/22 (the basic model). I haven't owned a 22 in years and never a Ruger. Figured, I would shoot some bunnies, maybe an occasional bird, as well as some cheap fun shooting.

For the folks familiar with this particular gun: any ammo I should be avoiding? Why? Any brand preference? Why?

Also looking at the scopes now. Initially, I was thinking to get the Nikon P-Rimfire, but now I am not sure if the price is justified for such a gun. Simmons is cheap, but is it really that good as people say? I know their binoculars are not that good, to say the least, so why would a 60-dollar scope be great? Is it really good or is it good for what you get for your $60? Any other scopes to consider? I am still leaning towards the Nikon. Anyone knows how often the P-Rimfire goes on sale in Cabela's and what's the sale price?

Appreciate it, folks.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:38 PM

Who says Simmons is a great scope? I would go Nixon myself.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:14 PM

No one I know in real life, so to speak. Lots of people on the Internet swear by Simmons though. I figured it can't be any good at all and that is why I asked.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:25 PM
Banned

Nikon, Leopold, Bushnell, etc. They all make good rimfire scopes. Pick one that fits your budget and you like the look of and go.

As for the ammo, Federal Automatch, American Eagle hollow points, CCI standard or high velocity, sly, basically anything that is not sub sonic. Buy 50 of each that you want to test out and try them all. What works in mine may not work well in yours.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:34 PM

I have always found cci mini mags to run really well with a 10/22.

I have a buddy with the Nikon rimfire scope and he loves it. I always wanted one of the little Leupold 2-7x33 scopes for mine but haven't been able to justify the money for that rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2017, 10:34 PM

Hello there, Great guns... they will most likely eat any thing you feed them, like the fed 525 packs myself, some Winchester ammo is kinda crap though and doesn't shoot that well, just the mag problem now...

Dog
Old 04-01-2017, 11:06 PM

Mine shoots CCI mini mags really good, and I would go with a Nikon Rimfires with BDC. Can't go wrong. Great scope worth the little investment.

Leupold rimfire scopes are nice

I don't know about those scorpion scopes with the 22lr turrets. They don't look very good quality but maybe worth a try.

I've also noticed optics are cheaper at P& D than Cabelas or WSS. My last 2 scopes I bought at P&D.. and saved a bit of cash.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:04 AM
Banned

I used federal bulk ammo in mine with no hiccups at all, accurate enough for gophers.
Sold that rifle and now I wish I had kept it.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songdog270 View Post
Hello there, Great guns... they will most likely eat any thing you feed them, like the fed 525 packs myself, some Winchester ammo is kinda crap though and doesn't shoot that well, just the mag problem now...

Dog
Mine eats and spits the Feds with no issues, 5 hits in a quarter at 50 paces, have taken squirrels to yotes with it no problem, through it into a butler creek synthetic stock many, many moons ago, run a standard bushnell 4X scope on it but have had a 3-9x40 tasco prior to.
This rifle will work hard for you with no issues plus you have a very large selection of modifications if you want to your new rifle.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-02-2017, 07:54 AM

Default Get a good scope!

That is a great .22 I shoot ours all the time at the gophers out the back door. If the ammo will get the bullet out there (I am shooting vipers) you need a scope that will do the job.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:58 AM

Nikon Prostaff II Rimefire BDC150 scope is ideal for that rifle and rather inexpensive too, especially when you consider how good the optics are. A true bargain.

I have a some trouble with Eley ammo in a 10/22. They have waxy like finish that seems to cause jam ups.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:10 AM

Default scope for 10/22

Guy's check out Nikon's PROSTAFF 3-9 Target EFR. This scope has parallax adjustment for close in or for those longer fun shots. On sale right now as well, $40 off. I have beenusing this scope on a 10/22 since it came out and because of the parallax and quick focus eyepiece it is a favorite. Hard to go wrong for under $150.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:24 AM

The 10/22 will handle most stuff. Some better than others but that seems to be an individual rifle thing. I would not buy anything in bulk but select a small batch of some of the most popular. Try them all on paper and you will know the one to buy in bulk. Let you budget decide your choice of scope.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:54 AM

The p-rimfires are nice scopes. I had one and thought it was OK.
The prostaff efr is a nice scope imo. The adjustable objective is nice. The 1/2 minute clicks are ok-ish.

Weaver makes some nice rimfire scopes. 4x, 2-7 and 3-9AO. Less pricey than Leupold. Right sized for plinking and gopher shooting (IMO ). I would put them ahead of the Nikons. I've been happy with mine.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:21 PM

IMO have some open sight fun with your new 10/22 you would be surprised at how accurate they can be. I had a Bushnell banner on my 17 hmr, and it worked quite well, and they are often on sale for around $90!
Old 04-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Banned

Arrow

If any problems arise; change out your extractor, Then your magazine release and perhaps a new bolt handle

It's a fun little toy when it's running right

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod13845.aspx
Old 04-02-2017, 11:39 PM

Thanks to all who replied!

Well, I bought 50 cartridges of CCI (standard velocity) today to try the gun out. Fired a few shots.

The third shot refused to fully eject, but the first 2 and the remaining 27 were just fine. Neat little gun. I forgot how quite these things are.

I thought I would only fire 10 shots just to get the feel of the gun and see what it is capable of without the scope, but it's hard to stop and if it wasn't for the sun going down, I would rid off the remaining 20 It is fun, no doubt.

It is pretty accurate. I wasn't at the range and the best targets I had were someone else's beer cans and shotgun shells, so I shot at those. The last 10 or so rounds, I was hitting probably 2 out of three shells or better from about 100 ft. The accuracy would probably be better, but I can't seem to get it rest on my shoulder comfortably. I am a tall guy and it is a pretty small gun. So that is something to work on. And man can you hear those bullets fly when ricochet

Other than that, it feels a bit flimsy, but that should be expected, I guess. The trigger is definitely not the best trigger I've pulled. The safety is probably the only thing that really annoyed me. It would only go half way through most of the time; with safety "on", you can actually see most of the "red line".

It is definitely a fun little gun to shoot and I am looking forward to taking it out to the range, hopefully sometime this week.

Still thinking about the scope though. Really leaning towards Nikon.

Again, thanks to all who took a few minutes to reply!
Old 04-03-2017, 06:51 AM

Another vote for the Nikon P-Rimfire - it's a nice scope. Love mine. Just need to resolve the magazine issue in the next referral election....
Old 04-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Banned

Pick up a slip on recoil pad. I put one on my Remington 597 and it made a great difference. It makes the LOP about an inch longer.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alephnaught View Post
Just need to resolve the magazine issue in the next referral election....
Was considering getting a Remington because of that, but not really a fan of Remington in general. And then I figured it isn't that much of a deal, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Pick up a slip on recoil pad. I put one on my Remington 597 and it made a great difference. It makes the LOP about an inch longer.
That's what I was thinking to do. Any good place to pick one up online?
Old 04-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Banned

I'm not sure. I picked up a couple a few months ago when Wholesale was clearing them out for $10.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Who says Simmons is a great scope? I would go Nixon myself.

I say it's a good scope for a 22.oh yah
Old 04-03-2017, 04:21 PM

^ I've never even held one in hands, so I cannot comment much about whether it is good or bad. I know, however, that I have binoculars made by Simmons that I bought for $20 or $30 a few months ago for my daughter (she wanted to play with daddy's binoculars every time she saw them) and I can comment on those. Obviously you should not expect any clarity for the price, but, to be honest, sometimes you can see better just with plain eyes rather than looking through these binoculars. Once the sun goes down and it is still light out, forget about it: it actually looks like it's nighttime and you can't see anything. And I am saying it almost without exaggeration. For example, you will not be able to see whether a deer has antlers or not looking through the Simmons binoculars 10 minutes after sunset at a distance of 30 meters. Maybe I just got a turd since the reviews online are pretty great. So you see why I would be skeptical about their scope.

Having said all that, I actually took these binoculars on walks many times and they are "good enough" for walking during day time. I would not take them with me hunting, but for walks they are fine if you know what I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I'm not sure. I picked up a couple a few months ago when Wholesale was clearing them out for $10.
Thanks. I will see what I can find.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:09 PM

https://www.volquartsen.com/inventor...igurations/811 Best upgrade I've ever got for my 10/22 only issues I get now are misfeeds and I think that from the mags. 10/22 are great rifles.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
https://www.volquartsen.com/inventor...igurations/811 Best upgrade I've ever got for my 10/22 only issues I get now are misfeeds and I think that from the mags. 10/22 are great rifles.
I haven't had extraction issues with mine, but I did do a "trigger job" with a Volquartsen kit that dramatically improved things. I think it was the target hammer.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:10 PM

I have found the CCI Minimags more reliable than most in 10/22s. In general, they like copper clad bullets better than bare lead - if it deforms at all it gets caught on the feed ramp. You will also find magazines are a major source of reliability issues with the Rugers being the best I've found.

As far as an optic, I found a Nikon Rimfire with Adjustable objective on sale. Couldn't be happier. Make sure you get one with a 50 yd parallax if not adjustable. Mine doesn't have the BDC reticle, but with a 22 who cares!

Super fun little guns aren't they?
Old 04-04-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
The p-rimfires are nice scopes. I had one and thought it was OK.
The prostaff efr is a nice scope imo. The adjustable objective is nice. The 1/2 minute clicks are ok-ish.

Weaver makes some nice rimfire scopes. 4x, 2-7 and 3-9AO. Less pricey than Leupold. Right sized for plinking and gopher shooting (IMO ). I would put them ahead of the Nikons. I've been happy with mine.
Yep, pro staff efr is what I've got - couldn't remember the model before. Haven't tried a Weaver but really like the 2 nikons I've got.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:11 PM

I've got two of the 10/22 targets, one with a Bushnell dusk and dawn 3-9x40, the other with a redfield 2-7x32. The Redfield is extremely clear but I like the bushnell for that little extra magnification. I shoot whatever's cheapest for ammo. Ground squirrels don't care. Although I've never asked their opinion.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
IMO have some open sight fun with your new 10/22 you would be surprised at how accurate they can be.
Did some actual shooting today. Man is it fun or what?
Now that I got somewhat used to this little guy, I am not even sure if I want a scope at all Still looking to give it some length though.
I really had a lot of fun and wished I brought more ammo with me
Old 04-12-2017, 08:40 AM

Default 10 22

Has anyone ever bedded and free floated their ruger 10 22?
Does it shoot better?