Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-07-2016, 04:06 PM

Default new strings slow you down

well i got some new strings on my destroyer 350 this year. i had every pin set out to 80 yards and the bow shot great last year. last month i paper tuned and zero'd in my closest pin at the range. thinking it should be quite the same, i start increasing the distance and the pins are way low. i get the pins set out to 60 after many nights of wondering whats going on. after that night i gave it a good waxxing as it was fairly dry. i pull it out a couple nights later and start shooting at 50, i completly miss the target low twice.... it took a bunch of dinkin around and get it close at 50 and call it quits for the night. i havent chrony'd but i can tell thru my pin gaps that ive lost allot of speed. i feel like the wax slowed it down substantially. the new strings are winners choice, the old ones were factory. anybody see similar results?
Old 08-07-2016, 04:12 PM

Bowtech factory strings are 20 strand, most custom strings are 24. The extra stands are more stable but eat up some speed.

Do your new strings have speed nocks installed?

LC
Old 08-07-2016, 04:18 PM

no nocks just a d-loop
Old 08-07-2016, 04:52 PM

Is your ata and poundage measure the same as it was before? Speed nocks will give you a few more fps.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:38 PM

The poundage has dropped by 5-6 pounds, only getting 67# bottomed out. Havent measured everything.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildalberta View Post
The poundage has dropped by 5-6 pounds, only getting 67# bottomed out. Havent measured everything.
Measure your ATA center axle to center axle both sides. Your cables need some twists if your ATA is off, this will decrease the draw weight if the ATA is too
long. Did you install the strings on your own?

LC
Old 08-07-2016, 07:39 PM

Look up your bow specs online. Like mentioned above, you need twists to get the bow back to factory specs. When you order new strings they come pre twisted to get you close to factory specs and if you let twists out while installing them your ata and # will be off.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:26 AM

well guys i ended up going back to the local archery lane. turns out my top cam bearings were coming out of the cam. took a while to find it. now i have a useless bow waiting on a a new cam, with moose season coming fast. atleast it is a warrenty claim.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:29 AM

I had that happen on one of the 350's I owned years ago too. Luckily the shop I went to had a new one (cam) on hand and I was off and running in less than an hour. I also had a 2009 high country speed broth at had a bad top bearing. That was a little longer of a fix.