Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-26-2008, 12:29 PM

Default Broken cable guard

I was out shooting my bow this morning and the cable guard (the aluminum rod) snapped off flush with where it goes into the riser. I've been shooting this bow for 6 years now (it's a PSE Nitro) and this is the second time it has done this? I'm curious as to whether others have had this happen and whether it is a common problem.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:48 PM

Only once, the something landed on the bow and it busted the guard. That was quite a few years ago @ Drayton Valley.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:04 PM

I broke a fair number of PSE cable rods prior to 2006.
PSE changed alloy at that time so newer rods shouldn't break. Some shops likely have a lot of the old rods still kicking around and may not even know there was an issue with them.

Broke one during the medal round of the Arizona cup one year. In team the team event you aren't allowed time for equipment failures and most have a backup bow ready. Luckily I did. Dropped (tossed) my broken bow back and picked up my other bow. Found out later my backup bow landed in front of one of PSEs lead engineers at the time. Had a whole handful of new cable rods (new material) before heading home.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:12 PM

For me, in both cases, it happened when I shot. I assume it is because of the cumulative effect of vibrations and /or stresses which weaken the rod over time and eventually cause it to break but I don't know this for sure. Any info or theories anyone might have would be appreciated.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:22 PM

The cable rods I broke all bent slowly over time. I would notice small changes in point of impact each time I shot the bow with impact moving to the left (I think). The cable rod flexes when the bow is drawn and pressure is taken off the string and put on the cables. At the shot the reverse occurs. The constant felxing eventually caused the rod to snap. With the new alloys PSE started using the problem was corrected. The new alloy is not quite as brittle as to absorb some of the bend that occurs each time the bow is drawn and shot.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:23 PM

Thanks MathewsArcher. The first rod I broke was definitely pre 2006 and I'm pretty sure the one I broke today was too so I think you very likely have correctly diagnosed the problem. Much appreciated.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Over the last two or three times I have shot, including this morning, I have noticed my shots going to the left. Each time I adjusted my bowsight accordingly. In fact the last thing I did before it broke today was to move my sight so as to move point of impact to the right. Sure sounds like you identified the problem and cause for me. Thanks again.