Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-19-2008, 10:06 PM

Default Back-up?????????

Just read a great story of a nice brown bear that was taken near south kananaskis,and it talked of a backup gun.My question is (being that I just moved from ontario) Are you always aloud to carry a backup gun when bow hunting or is it just for bears or different areas or what.....Thanks for your answers
Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 PM

Not sure on this, but I believe that you can legally carry a firearm anywhere in the bush, even during non-hunting seasons or archery seasons, as long as you're not in a national park or other restricted area. Anyone know more on this than me? I could be way off.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:02 PM

i would never and have never gone onto a bear stand without my rifle even when im planning on shooting with my bow. If get a charge or ticket thats the price im going to pay for personal protection
Old 05-20-2008, 11:05 PM

Have to agree with 7MAG on that one. Living to make it home would definitely be the order of the day.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:18 PM

if your not in the bow zone or in town your not breaking the law.I always carry a riffle in the backcountry,on crown land anyway,not sure about provincial parks and defenitely a no no in a national park..but then again i never go to the parks anyhow.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:56 PM

Wouldn't carry in a national park, but on that note. The gov't is supposed to be looking at the law regarding carrying in parks and possibly changing it to allow carry. We can hope.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:47 AM

Default Thanks Guys!!

So pretty much anywhere that I can hunt I can carry a rifle for protection...makes sence I guess,not use to all the big bears. What about a side arm or am I really pushing my luck.I know you can when you are fishing in northern BC and Alaska for protection when fishing and such!!!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
What about a side arm or am I really pushing my luck
Mitch......I take it you don't own a handgun or you would know that you can only transport it to a licensed range or a licensed gunsmith or a licensed gun show..............unless you are a person with a special occupation (as defined in the Firearns Act).

This is the part that the anti-handgun people are usually not aware of (or ignore).........you can't take a hangun from storage unless you are going to a licensed range or a gunsmith and you have an Authorization to Transport certificate.

Taking it hunting or fishing for personal protection is not an option.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:11 PM

you can carry your firearm in the bow zone aswell, you just cant hunt big game with it, if you have it there for bear protection then you should be fine as long as your not carrying around a hunting rifle around in deer season but you really shouldnt need bear protection in the bow zones anyhow
Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 PM

generally speaking outside of bear hunting which is a GENERAL season anyway. I would say that it's probably a bad idea to carry a gun during archery only season. I think the appearance alone would give you grief beyond belief. In addition to that what about leaving a gun unattended in a vehicle while out stalking or sitting in the stand with your bow?
Old 05-21-2008, 03:58 PM

(I would say that it's probably a bad idea to carry a gun during archery only season)
That depends on were you are hunting at. If you are in central or southern alberta then yes thats not a good idea but west and northern alberta by all means if it makes you feel safe then do it.

When we are up north moose hunting with are bows in early season I carry my defender with 00 in it (chances of bears still being out) and most of the time bear hunting.

(In addition to that what about leaving a gun unattended in a vehicle while out stalking or sitting in the stand with your bow?)

Why would you take a gun if you are going to leave it in the truck. That would defet the whole point of having back up
Old 05-21-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stand junkie View Post

Why would you take a gun if you are going to leave it in the truck. That would defet the whole point of having back up

I think the more appropriate question is "why do you even need to carry a gun during bow season?"

In fact further to that, I don't think it is legal even though the contrary has been stated.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Watch the videos on archery discussion!!!!

Sounds Russ that you are an avid Bow hunter(which is great) and it alsoo sounds like you are a little anal about the simple question that I had. The only reason I asked was I seen a video on one of the archery discussions of a bear that was taken....And yes he had a GUN when he went to retreive his bear...So I was just wondering if this was a common practice for archers(as I am) or if it is just anal retentive pompus archers like ......
Old 05-21-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchw View Post
archers(as I am) or if it is just anal retentive pompus archers like ......
Just one more reason not to bother coming to this site.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Just one more reason not to bother coming to this site.
Please don't.

Mitch, although I don't necessarily see eye-to-eye with Russ on every issue, I DO know that he is incredibaly knowledgable in regards to archery. I'd listen to him IMHO.

Tree
Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
I think the more appropriate question is "why do you even need to carry a gun during bow season?"

In fact further to that, I don't think it is legal even though the contrary has been stated.
I take one with me (shot gun not rifle ) just incase I jump up a bear while sneeking through the bush or any other animal that might want to eat me. I dont carry it to finish the animal just for self defense
Old 05-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Hoochie Papa

Why even flirt with it? What would you think if you saw a guy walking around during bow season with a rifle strapped to his back? Now think how the C.O's would look at it?

There are lots of precautions a guy can take to be safe without packing heat.

Personally, all I need is a quiver full of arrows and a spare pair of shorts.

And in future, if you don't like the advice offered to you here, either accept it or ignore it.........but DON'T get lippy.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

Only a fool brings only a sharp stick to a bear fight....
Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 PM

Smile I apologize!!

Sorry for the lip, The way I saw it was it was a simple question that should have had a simple answer...I dont like being made out to be an idiot. I understand where russ comes from because back home I never would have even thouhjt of the idea...here though is a bit different with bigger bears...hungry bears...abd so on.
forgive me for the lip please,I truly am sorry.
p.s didnt know this would open up such a big can of worms>>>
Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 PM

Mitch as was already stated - spring bear season is just a general season - so not a problem them. After an encounter with a grizz on my baitsite while only carrying a longbow, I ALWAYS carry my defender with OO while bear hunting/baiting.

Other archery only season would probably be asking for a headache.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Hoochie Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchw View Post
p.s didnt know this would open up such a big can of worms>>>
That was nothing!! Stick around for a while and you will see what I mean.

Just gotta watch how you phrase some statements. Some people lurk here waiting to twist someones words and then jump on them.

Keep the questions coming......you will learn a heck of a lot here.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:07 PM

always carry a shotgun even when stream fishing in the foothills better the bear dies than ME never had to use it but nice to now its there
Old 05-22-2008, 12:01 AM

Carrying a gun while bowhunting ???
Pretty much everyone considers it at one time or another.
I've had black bears close while elk hunting and definitely thought it woulda been nice to have some armour near by...just in case.
Personally, I weigh ( no pun intended ) the options, and feel that packing heat is more a hassle than the risk of needing it.
Saying that... chirping on the cow elk call in grizz country does give an uneasy feeling inside.
Not 100% , but I'm thinking it's totally legal to carry a firearm with you while bowhunting.
Don't think it's illegal to shoot a skunk with a 30-06 ...
Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 AM

Generally....and this is what guys are saying........if you're bear hunting.....there is no dedicated "Archery Season"......use whatever you want to kill it. But it would not be looked upon as suspicious if you took a gun with you while hunting bears with a bow.

Now, while elk/moose/deer hunting in the fall, I wouldn't be toting a gun and a bow in the archery only season. Like guys are saying......that looks awful suspicious. I have in the past and I will in the future take a slug barrel shotgun with me and leave it in the truck for when I have to pack out an animal after I have killed it with an arrow (if I'm in bear country). The evidence will prove the moose/deer/elk was killed with an arrow if that ever becomes an issue......under that condition I'll accept the risk of bumping into a CO........but toting a bow and a gun around at the same time during archery season....probably not a good idea.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 AM

Here is what I do.... right or wrong but in the end my safety is paramount....

When in country where I suspect I may have a bear encounter I pack my Winchester Marine magnum with folding stock and quick release with plug removed and magazine extension that holds 7-2-3/4" 000 Buckshot.

this is not a hunting rifle, nor is it for hunting it is urely for protection. The gun is legal to carry in all jurisdictions by canadian law.

It is not a hunting rifle, it is a shotgun for personal protection. While bowhunting in fall in an archery only season where I may have a bear encounter (sign present) i may decide to hunt another area or carry the shotgun. in the event I arrow an animal.... it is pretty easy to tell an arrow kill from a firearm kill....

With my shotgun loaded the way it is its range is actually less than what I can hit with a bow so the idea that i am hunting with it is moot.

However if i was carrying a scoped 30-06 while out bowhunting.... would look more suspicious....

In fact if I am in bear country you will see the SG strapped to my back!.... I have all ther licenses, permits and registrations so there can be no question about the legality....

Carrying for hunting and carrying for protection are two different things. In Alberta you do not need a carry permit for non-restricted firearms. You just need your PAL....

Quote:
The possession of a loaded firearm is lawful, however, only in a location where the firearm may be discharged in accordance with any applicable federal and provincial acts and regulations, and municipal bylaws.
... from federal forearms legislation.....

In BC you have to have a PAL and a carry permit. there is the hunting license which includes the carry permit. or if you are not a hunter you can get a carrying permit for protection. (Tree planters usualy get this)

Russ just a suggestion!...before you state something be sure of your facts....

Quote:
I know what you meant and you always have something worthwhile to add but this just fuels the fires that always seem to be smouldering here!...I know you qualified with "I don't think....." which i absolutely agree with!....

Stick around russ.... I enjoy it!.... cheers!.... someone else taking heat for a change!....