Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-19-2008, 10:34 PM

Default Help with hunting around Canmore

Hey Gang,

I noticed that there is a special elk season for canmore area. I thought that might be a decent place to go bag an elk during the archery seasons. I would just be lookin for the meat not real big on trophy hunts.

However, the area is a nightmare in terms of park boundaries, private land etc etc.

If anyone can provide some guidance and direction with regards to the legal hunting areas within this management it would be greatly appreciated.

If you don't want to post publicly PM.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

BRC
Old 04-20-2008, 07:37 AM

Never hunted the area myself, I would talk to the local F & W office, that way your ***** is covered.

Being that close to the parks, and if you get caught in there even by accident, you may spend more time in jail then a serial killer.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:46 AM

Sorry, can't help you. Back when I hunted the area there weren't as many golf courses, condos, resorts, etc. But when I went to a wedding in Banff this winter I took the old highway just to check out the old areas...some are still there and so are the animals....

Old 04-20-2008, 09:08 AM

Default Cool Pics.

Looks like you are just up from the Exshaw quarry. Thanks for sharing.

Anyway as mentioned above if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

I would be willing to share some fly fishing knowledge of some really good brown trout water in that area as a trade for some help on the hunting side of the coin.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Old 04-21-2008, 10:14 PM

Stop in at the F&W office in Canmore and talk to the girls there, they will sell you a map of the area marked with all the parks, access areas etc. We have stopped in there every year for the last 4 or 5 to get new maps and have not met with a warden yet, they must be busy. Probably the best chance for Elk will be somewhere on Pigeon Mtn, you will at least see them fairly regularily.

Bowshot
Old 04-22-2008, 10:37 PM

Default Numbers?

What about the numbers of hunters there. Is there a ton of guys to contend with? Obviously the farther in you go the less chance of running into someone but I have had too many hunts wrecked the last couple of years by guys that can't wake up in the morning. Last year I had snuck in on a mulie buck and just as he was closing inside of 70 yards he stiffens and stamps. The buck took off and here comes Jethro walking along right on my tracks.
Needless to say I have been looking for somewhere that may not have as many guys around. Doing preseason scouting doesn't really tell you those kinds of things.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:19 PM

honestly in the canmore area I don't think you'll run into trouble with too many hunters. Your problem might be the fact that the elk in the bow valley hang around right close to the town of canmore and a lot of times right in it. When I was living there 3 years ago had a herd bull and his entire herd run out 15 yards in front of me on a bike trail, all of this not a half mile from downtown canmore. the pic of the ram is without a doubt taken just west of exshaw is my best guess, they're always hanging out on the ridge right near the old 1A.