Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Default New to Alberta, have Lots of questions

Hello, I just moved to Fox Creek in March. Hoping to get out for some bear hunting this fall. The biggest problem I have is, I'm living in a apartment so I have no where to hang and skin an animal. Does anyone know if there is a butcher in the area that will hang and skin the animal as well.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Questions

Next question. FS
Old 07-06-2007, 06:39 AM
-NDN-

what do you mean no place to hang and skin in your apartment. I do it all the time in my 18 floor highrise Get a few odd looks hauling up a dead doe or buck in the elevator, but its all good. Havent brought a elk or moose up yet , i think that would be one leg at a time
Old 07-06-2007, 06:40 AM
-NDN-

and oh yeah, Welcome to Alberta, you live so close to one of my favorite places to fish on this planet.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 AM

Welcome to the board
Nice funny NDN
I guess if push came to shove you could skin most everything on the ground or tailgate.
As for where to hang , I guess you could contact someone with the local Fish and Game club, and query them.
Most members of such organizations are quite willing to give advice and help.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-06-2007, 10:37 AM

LOL, I thought of hanging it from my balcony, don't think that would go over well. If I had to I could hang the animal in a tree and skin it, but I'd still need to find a butcher.

From what I've read on this site, you can't bait for black bears where there's grizzly. Didn't see that in the regulations book. I heard there was griz in this area. Does it mean I can't bait here.

Does anyone know where I can get oats.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 AM

Yes indeed welcome to the greatest province in Canada and some some really good hunting. Plus I am glad you joined us on this here forum.

Maybe you well meet someone on this board who lives out that way who will allow you to hang an animal in thier garage. As was mentioned, check out the local Fish and Game club.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper28 View Post
LOL, I thought of hanging it from my balcony, don't think that would go over well. If I had to I could hang the animal in a tree and skin it, but I'd still need to find a butcher.

From what I've read on this site, you can't bait for black bears where there's grizzly. Didn't see that in the regulations book. I heard there was griz in this area. Does it mean I can't bait here.

Does anyone know where I can get oats.
You'll have to check the regulations to see if baiting is allowed in the WMU your thinking of.
From the AO main page;
http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/huntingregs/
Big Game regulations>>>
Attention Bear Hunters

There are no absolutes
Old 07-06-2007, 11:14 AM

LOL, ok, don't know how I missed that. Not allowed to bait anywhere near Fox Creek. Guess I don't need the oats than. hahahaha

Are you allowed to use scents like bear bomb where baiting is prohibited. They realy don't go into detail on what they consider as bait. What about doing a honey burn, would that be considered baiting here.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:17 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Are you allowed to use scents like bear bomb where baiting is prohibited. They realy don't go into detail on what they consider as bait. What about doing a honey burn, would that be considered baiting here.
I suspect those would all be considered baiting......

Lots of great spot and stalk hunting around there though.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 AM

If your looking for that sort of advice I'd suggest calling the people who make the laws or enforce them just so you don't get given some bad advice.
Fox Creek Office(s)
FISH & WILDLIFE - District Office - 780-622-3421
FORESTRY - Area Office - 780-622-3921

There are no absolutes
Old 07-06-2007, 11:41 AM

Yeah, I have to go down to the ranger office in the next few days. I haven't done spot and stalk before, I was hoping to bo both. I'm from Nova Scotia and we're only allowed to bait there. So the spot and stock approch is new to me.
I bought a dvd the other day, they were hunting an oat field in the fall, there's had to be close to a dozen bears around them, would be nice to find a spot like that.

Do bears come to calls here. I have rabbit disstress calls that I use back home for coyotes.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Nice funny NDN

heh, i wasnt kidding Dick, ill pre skin everything and haul it on up.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NDN- View Post
heh, i wasnt kidding Dick, ill pre skin everything and haul it on up.

You otta go by the handle BIGBALLS, nevermind your old one.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-06-2007, 12:10 PM

Hey Caper, welcome toAlberta where everyone and there dog is now emigrating to. In response to your question, I have to no place to hang or skin an animal either. So I just skin the bugger right after I drag it to the truck and then off to the butcher I go. Let him hang it. Check around with some of the locals and they'll probably be able to point you inthe direction of a good shop.

Question for you. What do you do for a living? I only ask 'cause I'm looking to get the hell out of the big city and will need to pick a new career. I don't think they need too many GPS repairmen or equipment coordinators in smaller towns like Fox Creek.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:46 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You otta go by the handle BIGBALLS, nevermind your old one.
its not really that bad. Sheesh. i use a Otter II sled in winter and a Game cart in summer. We cut up pretty much all our own deer in the Apartment, LOL. I do wrap up the carcass in a tarp or something for traveling through the building The resident manager is cool with it, especially after the wifey cooks up a big game dinner and invites her over.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Banned

ada boy ndn,, get er done....
Old 07-07-2007, 05:25 AM

Well that is something I never had to do skin and butcher a deer or any other big game in an apartment. But hey it works for NDN.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:26 AM
-NDN-

yep just cover the table with poly, separate muscle groups, slice and dice, pass to the wifey and she wraps and labels. I do all my own deer jerky, so alot is sliced on the board and then frozen. Yet to do a moose or elk up here, other than immediately dealing with the liver, heart, backstraps and tenderloins. The rest goes to the butcher to get hung and processed. This might change next summer if some plans go through
Old 07-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Gone Hunting

Hey i had an apartment when i was younger, and i took a whitail i had whacked west of Caroline, gutted, skinned, frozen, but very much whole, right into the apartment. Piece of p-ss. let him half thaw, and got right at er.

keep a strain on er.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:18 PM

Smile

Heck NDN I knew a guy who won a horse in a poker game and kept it in his apt for two weeks

Gord
Old 07-07-2007, 02:01 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Heck NDN I knew a guy who won a horse in a poker game and kept it in his apt for two weeks

Gord

have any pics of this?? to funny
Old 07-07-2007, 05:41 PM

I've been looking over the regulations book and found an area 20 min from here where I can bait. That's closer than back home where I had to travel and hour and a half.

Another question. Are the tags that you buy zone specific. If I buy a tag for mule deer or elk, can I use it in 349 and 353. From what I get from the regulations is that there's no draw up here for antlered mule deer and elk. You can just go to a retailer and purchase a tag.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:39 PM

Yup looks to me like you've got it right on the deer and elk tags.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 AM

Hey Caper! Welcome to Alberta! What part of 'The Island' are ya from? I'm originally from Antigonish, and have been here since '95. You're gonna love it here!

Good luck with everything. I live in Calgary and am NOT a bear hunter so I have very little to offer to you other than to listen to what SheepHunter and Dick284 tell you. They know, and will not steer you wrong!

This thread is quite funny! NDN good on ya!

Tree
Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 PM

Hey treeguy, I'm from Glace Bay. I spent alot of time up your way though. I do all my deer hunting on the Keppoch Mountain and in Barney's River back home.

I Have another question for you guys. I read in the regulations book that you are not allowed to destroy or waste a bear hide. What am I suppose to do with it, I don't want the hide, just the meat.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:52 AM
Banned

Donate it to your Taxi guy.. All good then

Jamie
Old 07-10-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper28 View Post
Hey treeguy, I'm from Glace Bay. I spent alot of time up your way though. I do all my deer hunting on the Keppoch Mountain and in Barney's River back home.
HaHaHa! Me Mudders from the 'Bay bye! Hell, knowing Glace Bay, we're probably releated! And if you know Antigonish, you can probably guess my last name within three tries (insert incest joke here, boys! )!

I grew up about 5 minutes away from the Keppoch on the Addington Forks road. Some of my best hunting/fishing/trapping memories are from that little slice of Heaven! Good to have ya aboard, man!

Tree