Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 07:44 PM

Default Prostate Surgery. TURP

Well I had my TURP today. The roto-rooter of the prostate through my penis.

I'm lying in bed at the Misericordia and must say so far so good. A little discomfort from the catheter but other then that not too bad. Checked in at 11AM surgery at 1PM. Opted for the GA instead of the local freezing woke up at 2PM a bit groggy in my room by 230PM drifted in out had supper at 5. Drainage is clearing up nicely or so in told. No pain meds yet. Will take something before bed though to help sleep.

I've been told I'll be heading home tomorrow and that the catheter will be removed during the weekend by home care.

The staff at the Misericordia have been amazing each and everyone of them. A thank you to my doctor the anesthesiologist and their team. They were all very professional and top notch.

I'll keep you posted as I recover at home. I've been told 4-6 weeks before I can get back to a regular routine.

BW
Old 05-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Banned

Heal quick.

Don't know if I can agree on the hospital though.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:48 PM
Banned

Glad to hear it went as planned. Get well soon!
Old 05-25-2017, 07:55 PM

glad to hear that everything is all okay...considering the rotor rooting of the...I cant even say it without crossing my legs...ARRRGH!
rest easy, get well soon.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Banned

so what exactly is this procedure?

And why do they go in through the tiniest opening to get at it?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
so what exactly is this procedure?

And why do they go in through the tiniest opening to get at it?
The prostate had enlarged to the point that I wasn't able to take a leak properly. They do this to open up the urethra. Dock says I'll be whizzing like a kid again real soon!

BW
Old 05-25-2017, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
The prostate had enlarged to the point that I wasn't able to take a leak properly. They do this to open up the urethra. Dock says I'll be whizzing like a kid again real soon!

BW
Interesting,

get well soon.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:39 PM

Glad things went properly.

Your thread on the same page as the "Pickled Sausage " thread
Old 05-25-2017, 10:38 PM

Take care. Wishing you the best outcome.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Glad things went properly.

Your thread on the same page as the "Pickled Sausage " thread
LOL. Not picking those wiener bits l, they were sent to the pathologist for analysis! Here hoping they're negative!

BW
Old 05-26-2017, 06:17 AM

Good luck and speedy recovery! Sounds good so far.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

BW
Whizzing over a 7' fence in no time, maybe set a personal record....

All I can say is ouch

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Fast recovery! Getting the catheter out is a huge feeling of relief lol. Although you still don't feel your self whizzin for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Banned

You had to throw the roto-rooter thing in there, sitting here with legs crossed.

So is this what we have to look forward to when we reach the age of decrepitude?

Good luck on recovery
Old 05-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Gone Hunting

So is this what we have to look forward to when we reach the age of decrepitude?

And oh so much more.

Bigwoodsman , all the best for a speedy recovery. With all the daily ****ing contests on AO, this should give a leg up. Sorry!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
And oh so much more.
Always the ray of sunshine, thanks alot Only in my 40's and already broken down.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:52 PM

Glad to hear that it went so well to date. Now instead of getting the feet wet you will have to stand back 3 feet from the target. Not looking forward to getting mine done.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:16 PM

Default TURP Day 2

Last night didn't sleep much. Not because of any reel discomfort but the commotion of the hospital and my roommate snored.

Was released at 9AM, while getting ready had my first bladder spasms. Those aren't fun took the T-3 and relaxed. Got home and couldn't believe how fast the leg bag fills. Changed back to the big bag called home care and they'll be by tomorrow to remove the catheter...YES.
The wife got me my prescription of an antibiotic T-3s and a stool softener.

Today is spent relaxing drinking plenty of fluids 4000ml of cranberry juice and water since I got home and 3000 mls in the bag.

For those that got squeamish with the roto-rooter term don't worry that wasn't from the doctor they actually go in and slice out the prostate I can see the pieces in the bags.

My prostate had collapsed my urethra and a ball type valve had formed at the bladder that would close off and not allow any substantial flow when it chose too.
No real pain other then when the drain tube gets caught up or the bladder spasms. So far the spasms have only happened the one time 3 in rapid succession that dropped me to my knees. I was in the bathroom brushjbg my teeth. It happened so fast I hit the floor and range for the nurse. That was the most uncomfortable feeling I ever experienced. Took the t-3s and had a little nap waiting for my ride home.

Tomorrow I'll let you know how day 3 goes.

BW
Old 05-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Banned

I just relived your pain dear sir. Can't imagine... hoping for a speedy recovery.

The whine is well due... nothing like a cantilope down the pipe to open the eyes
Old 05-26-2017, 09:20 PM

And I thought my Cystoscopies were the opposite of fun.

I tip my hat to you sir and a speedy closing of this long chapter in your life.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:34 PM

Hope ya have a speedy recovery!!!
Old 05-27-2017, 04:55 PM

Default TURP day 3

Home care came by this morning and removed the catheter! What a relief. The nurse was ontime and spent a little lessthan 20 minutes doing her thing. The pain was minimal.

Going to the bathroom has been easy still a bit of blood and the odd clot.

Things are looking up. I'm surprised as how little discomfort there really has been. Have only taken T-3's twice and that includes my hospital stay.

BW
Old 05-27-2017, 10:03 PM
Banned

Good to hear your on the mend !!!
Old 05-30-2017, 01:30 PM

Default TURP days 4,5&6

Whizzing lots, some bleeding quite a bit of discomfort while doing so. Still hydrating at a rate of 4 litres per day. Haven't taken any T3's but will once I'm done the antibiotics. The combination of the two doesn't sit well in my stomach.

When I do pee it's a very very strong stream which is good. I'm hoping in a few more days the pain will subside.

BW
Old 05-30-2017, 02:08 PM

Heal up fast, good Sir!
Old 06-15-2017, 07:35 AM

Well it has been 3 weeks since the surgery and things are going fine. Returned to work this week and seem to be healing just fine. Still passing a few blood clots and some blood, but nothing major. Pain is very manageable, but still noticeable when voiding. It sure feels good to be able to void and be empty. I could not believe the difference! The pressure I have now is unbelievable and a little shocking at first. I'm sure in due time I'll be able to whiz over that 6 ft fence. Then the neighbor will start a thread about some guy whizzing over his fence. LOL

Do not get up as much at night any more. Last night was only once and I have had the odd night where I did not need to get up at all.

The only regret I have so far is that I didn't take care of this sooner. 15 years of discomfort is way to long. Fellows if you are having trouble get this done.

I have a doctors appointment with my surgeon on the 28th of June, hopefully that shows no cancer in the tissue they removed. I'll post after that appointment my results.

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes and to those who sent PM's. I appreciate all your support and concerns.

BW
Old 06-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well it has been 3 weeks since the surgery and things are going fine. Returned to work this week and seem to be healing just fine. Still passing a few blood clots and some blood, but nothing major. Pain is very manageable, but still noticeable when voiding. It sure feels good to be able to void and be empty. I could not believe the difference! The pressure I have now is unbelievable and a little shocking at first. I'm sure in due time I'll be able to whiz over that 6 ft fence. Then the neighbor will start a thread about some guy whizzing over his fence. LOL

Do not get up as much at night any more. Last night was only once and I have had the odd night where I did not need to get up at all.

The only regret I have so far is that I didn't take care of this sooner. 15 years of discomfort is way to long. Fellows if you are having trouble get this done.

I have a doctors appointment with my surgeon on the 28th of June, hopefully that shows no cancer in the tissue they removed. I'll post after that appointment my results.

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes and to those who sent PM's. I appreciate all your support and concerns.

BW
Good to hear.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:21 PM

Had my post surgery meeting with the Urologist this morning, and was given a clean bill of health. The pathologist report showed no signs of cancer. My PSA is now at 1.6 had been as high as 7. All I need to do now is have my PSA checked annually when I have my yearly physical.

The only negative is that because I had this procedure done at age 55 I may need to have it again in the future as the prostate continues to grow as I age. But that could be 20 years down the road.

Still have a bit of discomfort and sometimes a real urgency to go. But other then that pretty much back to normal.

Fellows get your PSA checked your prostate checked and take care of yourself.

BW
Old 06-28-2017, 02:40 PM

Bigwoodsman .... pleased to read the good news .... that's gives me some comfort, too.

I'm scheduled for a Cystoscopy tomorrow afternoon at R/D Hosp, my blood work was normal, PSA was less than 1 % (.08), unfortunately, they found trace amounts of blood in my urine, got sent for Ultrasound, report found no issues. Having some pain & discomfort on the right side of the groin, had another urine test, still found some trace blood, 2.5 out 5 on the dipstick.

This will be my first appointment with a Urologist, maybe the X-rays will clear up some of the mystery, nevertheless, still a bit nervous with the procedure but want to get it over with and find out what the issue is.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:

For those that got squeamish with the roto-rooter term don't worry that wasn't from the doctor they actually go in and slice out the prostate I can see the pieces in the bags.
BW
That procedure may be in my future. A friend who is a surgical nurse calls the procedure the Black and Decker Pecker Wrecker! When I asked by doc about it he said it was just like removing the core of an apple. Both descriptions make me cringe

Glad to hear you survived the procedure and hope that all will soon be a distant memory.