Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 PM

Default Primers left out in empty cartridges

I have a bunch of empty cartridges I have not got to loading, but are sized and primed, they have been out in the open for about 3-4 months in my basement. Should I pop them out and put new ones in before shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2017, 09:26 PM

Go shoot em, unless you've had them drowned, baked, froze or covered in cement dust, there's probably no issues.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-17-2017, 09:51 PM

3 or 4 months.... what super natural characteristics do you attribute to that packaging? Like Dick said "shoot em".

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntinGuy View Post
I have a bunch of empty cartridges I have not got to loading, but are sized and primed, they have been out in the open for about 3-4 months in my basement. Should I pop them out and put new ones in before shooting?

Your Kidding? right!
Old 05-17-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Your Kidding? right!

Nope that's why I asked. I'm new to reloading.. next time if I'm not sure about something I'm not going to ask im just going to go for it and just hope for the best.....

Old 05-17-2017, 11:15 PM

i think you have legit question, so to compare, the primers in the 100 pak box may have been exposed to atmosphere since new on the gunstore countertop which may be months or years ago. they are not stored in a moisture resistant dispenser from the manufacturer...that being said i usually put mine in ziploc bag with a little moisture absorber. but i dont know why i do.

like dick says. choot'm

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 05-17-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Nope that's why I asked. I'm new to reloading.. next time if I'm not sure about something I'm not going to ask im just going to go for it and just hope for the best.....

When it comes to reloading always ask!!! It was not a dumb question, most guys just forger that they were new once to. (plus lack of hunting has some cranky from lack of shooting something)

But to answer you question, like Dick said they should be good (for years). Store them in a cool dry place (since they are in cases that covers it) and put them in a container to keep dust out. I have bought primers at gun shows that were over a decade old but were stored properly. Still went boom!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:50 AM

Primers are not packaged in sealed containers to keep out air or moisture, so why would storing them in empty cases be any different?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:07 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

When you are new to handloading there is no such thing as a dumb question. Don't let a few of the heroes dissuade you from asking, there is a lot of very knowledgeable people here that have no problem giving you a little guidance
Old 05-18-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:

If unsure, always better to ask, but some logic can be applied.

I'd expect between manufacturing, shipping, sitting in retail, and then stored at home, primers that are decades old, stored in original packaging (cardboard box) are not uncommon.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
If unsure, always better to ask, but some logic can be applied.

I'd expect between manufacturing, shipping, sitting in retail, and then stored at home, primers that are decades old, stored in original packaging (cardboard box) are not uncommon.
Not at all uncommon, I have primers that are in the original cartons that have factory labels that haven't been used in many years. As well, most loaded ammunition is not totally airtight, and it works just fine decades after being loaded. I am careful to keep my powder in sealed containers, but with primers, I am only concerned with storing them in a cool dry location, and not handling them with damp or oily fingers.