Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 09:29 AM

Another option is the Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 Rimfire, got one on my 10/22.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...v-plex-reticle
Old 04-14-2017, 04:02 PM

you can try the BX trigger, 2.5-2.75 # trigger pull. Easy swap.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:10 PM

I bought my 10/22 in 1979, back when they made them real. Great little .22's.

Others may have different opinions but I don't find the mini mags near as accurate as regular .22 ammo. I can put 3 inside a beer cap at 25 yards with a 4x scope using regular speeds but nowhere near that with cci's.

I have a Nikon 3-9x Rimfire 11 on my HMR and I like the bdc. Lot's don't. It's a great little scope for clarity at low light times and at $ 175.00 it's a bargain.

I would mount and shoot the Simmons 5 x. Remove from rifle and place 25 yards downrange. Mount something decent. Shoot at the Simmons.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:51 PM

Grabbed a Nikon P-Rimfire at Cabela's yesterday on sale for $199. So if anyone is interested, they are on sale now. It said backordered when I placed the order but it shipped today. Forgot to order a couple of small things I was waiting to get with something bigger to qualify for free shipping, but what are you going to.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post
I haven't had extraction issues with mine, but I did do a "trigger job" with a Volquartsen kit that dramatically improved things. I think it was the target hammer.
Did you purchase these Volquartsen parts from a Canadian Dealer?
Thanks
Old 05-13-2017, 11:12 PM

They do say not to use stingers in them
Old 05-14-2017, 02:17 AM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;3508121]Who says Simmons is a great scope? I would go Nixon myself.[/Q

wrong post

Last edited by JD848; 05-14-2017 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:28 PM

Default Federal - American Eagle ammo

I prefer the Federal - American Eagle ammo, it cycles the action pretty well. I try and stay away from the big 333 or 555 Winchester boxes. That ammo gets pretty banged up and I have had it stick in the barrel of my t-bolt a few times.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:35 PM

I have not tried anything bulk, but fired quite a few shots now, different brands, and found that most perform more or less equally with CCI being my preference, I would say. I have not tried Winchester yet and not sure I will since I heard not so good things from people here and in real life.

On another note, the scope (P-Rimfire) arrived today and it did not disappoint at first glance. Thought I have some rings line around, but can't seem to find any. Local stores do not have any rails in stock either. Should have checked before ordering the scope and order the rail along with it
Old 05-15-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Grabbed a Nikon P-Rimfire at Cabela's yesterday on sale for $199. So if anyone is interested, they are on sale now. It said backordered when I placed the order but it shipped today. Forgot to order a couple of small things I was waiting to get with something bigger to qualify for free shipping, but what are you going to.

Which P rimfire?
Old 05-15-2017, 07:49 PM

I thought I'd inject some heresy about the scopes for the Ruger 10/22.

I bought one of the stainless/synthetic 10/22's from a local sports chain store that went belly up late last year. Got it for an excellent price. But the iron sights weren't doing me any favours, and I was determined to get a scope for it.

I didn't like any of the dedicated rimfire scopes - many seemed cheaply put together. Also a bit fussy for eye position even on the better name units. Since this rifle is a very short LOP and I'm about 6'4" with long arms, it was a pain snugging it in to just the right spot.

Then Cabela's had a Bushnell special, which was a Trophy 3-9 X 40 with rings, also came with a cheap fabric sling, Butler flip ups and some targets. Just had to buy the bases. The eye relief on the Trophy means I wouldn't put it on anything with a recoil or anything bigger than a .22LR, but on the 10/22 it works great. And since almost all my .22LR shooting is only 50 to 65 yards, the longer distance light-gathering doesn't matter to me.

At the time, the price was $130 shipped IIRC, less a $25 Bushnell rebate.

While the price on the deal is now $140 +/- at Cabelas running the special again based on an email I just got, the rebate is also back in play, so net of $115 or so plus any tax on the original amount.

And the CCI Mini-Mags perform great in my little 10/22. Nice 1.5" groups max at 50 yards, a few in the .75" range.

O.N.G.

Last edited by OldNewGuy; 05-15-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-15-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Which P rimfire?
This one:
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/71572/...ire-riflescope
Old 05-15-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewGuy View Post
I thought I'd inject some heresy about the scopes for the Ruger 10/22.

I bought one of the stainless/synthetic 10/22's from a local sports chain store that went belly up late last year. Got it for an excellent price. But the iron sights weren't doing me any favours, and I was determined to get a scope for it.

I didn't like any of the dedicated rimfire scopes - many seemed cheaply put together. Also a bit fussy for eye position even on the better name units. Since this rifle is a very short LOP and I'm about 6'4" with long arms, it was a pain snugging it in to just the right spot.

Then Cabela's had a Bushnell special, which was a Trophy 3-9 X 40 with rings, also came with a cheap fabric sling, Butler flip ups and some targets. Just had to buy the bases. The eye relief on the Trophy means I wouldn't put it on anything with a recoil or anything bigger than a .22LR, but on the 10/22 it works great. And since almost all my .22LR shooting is only 50 to 65 yards, the longer distance light-gathering doesn't matter to me.

At the time, the price was $130 shipped IIRC, less a $25 Bushnell rebate.

While the price on the deal is now $140 +/- at Cabelas running the special again based on an email I just got, the rebate is also back in play, so net of $115 or so plus any tax on the original amount.

And the CCI Mini-Mags perform great in my little 10/22. Nice 1.5" groups max at 50 yards, a few in the .75" range.

O.N.G.
Thanks for the info, ONG. This Nikon looks pretty good to me out of the box. Not sure how it will sit on the gun yet, but I think it will be fine. Also I am not much of a Bushnell guy. I used to own a couple of their scopes, one in the middle price range and one high-end. Always thought there are better alternatives for the price. Also, the mid range one was a lemon twice right out of the box and I am not a fan when that happens.

I am not as tall, but tall enough to have difficulties placing it just the right way as well (I am 6'2"). I am getting a hang of it though and getting better with sights but not good enough. My cousin is a bit shorter than I am and his groupings are much better and I would say excellent. He actually said that I look funny trying to fit the gun

Someone here suggested a recoil pad, which I haven't tried yet but planning on doing so. Eventually, I will probably do something about the stock though.

I agree, CCI mini mags are great. However, I did get better grouping (and so did my cousin) with CCI 40gr standard velocity (1070 fps or whatever they are). I would say that both have about the same "half-ejection" rate, as do other brands I tried.

Unrelated to the ONG's post but worth mentioning, I wrote in one of the earlier posts that safety was driving me a little insane and the pin went only half way through and most of the time you could still pull the trigger with safety on. I was going to take it apart and do something about it, but eventually it kicked in and seems to be fine now. Loud as hell, but it works. I am still not overly impressed with the trigger though. Overall, fun little gun and I am really enjoying it.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:08 PM

Default X2 on the BX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowshot View Post
you can try the BX trigger, 2.5-2.75 # trigger pull. Easy swap.
I own an early 80's era 10/22 that I have always loved, except for the heavy trigger pull. Decided to drop a BX trigger into it last year. Tested all the ones on the shelf at Cabelas with a trigger pull scale, and found one that broke at 2.1 pounds. It came home with me. Very easy to replace the complete assembly. My original trigger broke at 5 pounds, and this new trigger is so nice! It also gives you the lever for magazine ejection, which is much nicer than the old flush mount button.

I upgraded my scope to a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO with BDC reticle. The parallax will adjust down to 10 yards. Overkill for a .22? Ya, maybe. But any gopher out to 100 yards has good reason to fear this rifle now. And with the sunshade screwed on, my diminutive little 10/22 looks pretty bad ass now too!

My most reliable and accurate ammo is the CCI MiniMags as well. My son has a take down model that prefers the Federal blue box ammo.

Jim
Old 05-17-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman View Post
They do say not to use stingers in them
i always do, most rifles also say to use only factory ammo.