Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-16-2017, 02:30 AM

Default Help with some old 22 Cooeys

One of my friends recently came into some Cooey 22s after going through some old family items. After I saw them kicking around the garage I ask about them and he told me they weren't any good and I could take them if I wanted to try to refurbish them a little bit. So I have a few questions.

This is the first one. I believe it's an early model 60. The stock is broken but everything else seems to be all there and ok. After a bit of cleaning and reblueing I think I can get it functioning again. I know it's not worth much, but I was wondering where I could find an affordable replacement stock, or if someone has a spare to sell.

The second is a model 82 and I believe it is a WWll Canadian military training rifle. The existing stock on this one is also damaged where it mounts to the barrel on the underside. Apart from that it looks like it is also salvageable with the right parts. It's missing the peep sights and the front forestock that went right to the end as well as the sight and retaining ring at the end of the barrel. Again, can anyone point me in the direction of a replacement stock and forestock and other needed hardware? Does anyone have any of the parts I'm looking for?

I went to the capital region gun show last year and neglected to bring both with me. But I spoke with one of the vendors and he assured me this stock would fit the model 60. Surprise surprise I doesn't. I believe it might be a later model 60 but I'm not sure. Any information on this one would be appreciated. Additionally, if anyone has the barrel, bolt and any other parts to make this one a working firearm again I would be interested in those parts. If someone has the parts and would like to get theirs going again with a very clean stock, please contact me.

Any information on these is greatly appreciated. I've refurbished an old semi-automatic cooey 22 and a mosberg 30-06 and think these are within my abilities if I can find the right parts. If any of you can help me locate what I need that would be awesome.

Many thanks
Old 05-16-2017, 05:56 AM

Irv at Western Gun Parts knows Cooey's. If your in the city you should talk to to him..
Old 05-16-2017, 08:54 AM

Default FB

Double post
Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 AM

Default FB

There is a Facebook group, with guys that know pretty much everything about them and have tons of parts.

Cooey Machine & Arms Collectors
Old 05-16-2017, 10:13 AM

My buddy might have one for the first one.

The military one will be tough to find a stock for.

I'll ask my buddy but need to know roughly where you are located.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:20 AM

I thought the military trainers had a full length wood stock?
Old 05-16-2017, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm located in Edmonton. Yes, the model 82 had a full length stock, but it was two pieces.

I called western and was told a stock can be purchased for the model 60 but it's over 100 bucks and I don't even think the firearm is worth that in this condition. I'm looking for a more affordable alternative. He didn't have anything for the 82.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:16 AM

Alberta Gun Stock in New Norway will make duplicates from the original stock. Give them a call. The model 60 fixed up and shooting well is worth a couple of hundred.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:48 PM

Called Roy at R & T in Warburg and it sounds like he might have what I'm looking for. Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. If it doesn't work out, I'll continue with the leads provided.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Banned

Hope it works out for you. I think most gun owners have a Cooey or two.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:10 AM
Gone Hunting

I met a fellow at the Fort Mac show that claimed he has one of the largest stocks of Cooey parts in Western Canada and he claimed he is in the process of buying a huge inventory of used and NOS Cooey parts.

He said that when he takes possession of that inventory it will make him the largest suppler of Cooey parts in Western Canada.

Was any of it true? I don't know. I do know he had an impressive display of Cooey parts at the show.

It can't hurt to check him out if you're looking for Cooey parts.

JRs Outdoor Adventures
Bonnyville Alberta

or

JRs Cooey parts, on facebook.

George Bernard Shaw