Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-11-2017, 02:32 PM

Default Need a recoil pad fitted

I have a Parker Hale I am redoing and it needs a new recoil pad. I can't find a stock one that will fit, so I am left with the grinding to fit pad. Where can I send the gun to have it done? I'm in Lethbridge.

Thanks in advance,

Doc
Old 05-11-2017, 03:14 PM

Any decent smith can fit a pad. I think "fps plus" may be somewhere down south near you but I'm not certain.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:49 PM

Thumbs up Recoil pad

Just had one done by Custom Gunworx in Rocky Mountain House
.(Bob Galloway) It was on a high end custom. He did a really nice job.
Ph# 1-403 845-8712 Email; customgunworx@gmail.com You can PM me if you like.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:09 PM

Private message sent
Old 05-11-2017, 07:39 PM

Not hard to do yourself, masking tape and a belt sander. check out the net.

Grizz
Old 05-13-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Not hard to do yourself, masking tape and a belt sander. check out the net.

Grizz
Exactly. I just did one and it only takes a few minutes. Don't waste your money getting someone to do it for you. Just take your time and tape it up well so you can see your marks where you traced for what needs to be removed. Also try not to get the pad to hot as it will gum up your sander and not leave a smooth finish.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:17 AM

ive always heard that if you put the pad in the deep freezer and sand it while frozen it will contour easier...then i thought...well, if it firms up that much then it probably wont work well in cold weather...
an olfa razor knife may work to get some the bigger chunks removed before the final sanding

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 05-16-2017, 07:11 AM

Default Hmmm

Anything can be done, just know that it cannot be done in a couple of minutes, and you may likely contact your nice finished stock with the belt sander. There is a difference between a custom fitted recoil pad and an ill fitting one. Ones handsome, one not so much. If your redoing the stock anyhow, not a huge worry. Getting the toe correct is the smart looking way. Smiths charge decent money for pads, because of how long it takes and the resulting mess. Lol
Old 05-16-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Anything can be done, just know that it cannot be done in a couple of minutes, and you may likely contact your nice finished stock with the belt sander. There is a difference between a custom fitted recoil pad and an ill fitting one. Ones handsome, one not so much. If your redoing the stock anyhow, not a huge worry. Getting the toe correct is the smart looking way. Smiths charge decent money for pads, because of how long it takes and the resulting mess. Lol
Never do them on the gun as this will likely happen!
Screw the over sized pad on the rifle, scribe around the stock to mark it, then remove and grind to fit. You may have to repeat this a couple of times to get it just right but at least you won't be trying to repair the grind marks on the stock.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:00 PM
Banned

When it comes to grind to fit, I try to stay away from Limbsavers as they don't grind nicely. And I avoid grinding them on the stock and use the jig in the picture instead. Others such as Pachmayers, etc. no problem, I tape the stock and grind in place no problem. However, if you've never ground on the stock, I don't recommend it unless you've had practice.

I should add that I've read 2 recommendations for Limbsaver installation instructions:

1. Put it in the freezer. Well, they don't get any harder. Besides what good would a soft recoil pad that hardens under cold temperatures and turns into a hockey puck. That recommendation doesn't work.

2. Spray WD40 on the sanding belt. Doesn't make a bit a difference. What does make a difference is a spray product that is used on circular and band saw blades. I use it extensively, but the name of it escapes me and I'm not in the shop at the moment.

Last edited by gitrdun; 05-16-2017 at 05:08 PM.