Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 02:13 PM

Default What to upgrade next, rest or sight?

In the last 3 weeks my I have really stepped up my archery game,
I am getting really good scores in 3D and can consistently shoot 3 inch circles at 40 years now quite comfortably. Just saying this for context for my question,

While shooting at the club I just joined, the local coach came up after the night need and complemented my form and said that if I want to get serious about competing I should up grade my whisker biscuit to a fall away.

Would a fall away really make that much differance ?

I feel like if I upgrade something I should upgrade my 9 year old sight, it has really large pins and a single track so I can't adjust them as well as I like.

If I do get a drop away what do you recommend? the only reason I am getting deep into archery is to get better hunting and I really like the biscuits ability to hold the arrow as I climb a steep or or make a stalk... but I do want to be a competitor when I sign up for a shoot.

Has anyone tried the schaffer rest?
http://schafferarchery.com/arrow-rests/opposition/

This has been long winded, I really appreciate any input from some experts.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 06:29 PM

As for a rest they are both good but the drop away will hide some of your flaws or bad habits...as for sight sometimes a smaller pin is better some times no..

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 03-26-2017, 06:58 PM

I say go with a new rest, and then get the sight. Keep your biscuit as a backup, just in case something happens to the drop away. I'm not familiar with the Schaefer. Most guys I know that are shooting drop aways, are using either QAD, Hamskea or Ripcord. There are many other options. As for those three, your price range is going to be between $140- $250, depending on the model and the place you buy it. You'll find with archery, everyone has a different preference, and opinion. These three are the ones I see used most often, more so the ripcord and the QAD actually.

As for sights, there are a few threads going right now discussing sights. You can spend anywhere from $50.00-$1000.00 depending on what you want. And you could go way higher than that if you're getting into the fancy moveable single pins, with magnifying scopes and what not. I just bought a Black Gold, Pure Gold. It's a nice moveable 5 pin. This is my first "expensive" sight. I believe it was just over $440.00 Canadian with taxes. I'm hoping it will last me for years. My last sight is a truglo carbon xs, it cost me $60.00 like 7-8 years ago. I tried a trophy ridge vertical sight last year for a bit, but I didn't like it, so I went back to the truglo. Hope this helps a bit! There's a lot of other guys on here with much better advice, and experience than me.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:12 PM

My 2 cents is get yourself a good quality multi-pin slider sight. I second Montana Black Gold, own 3 of them. A pure gold custom 4 or 5 pin is my favourite.

Personally I keep the top two pins .019, then .010 for the bottom two pins. For pin colour I like GGYG.

Moving to a micro adjust quality sight really helped me early on in my shooting. It let's you get very dialled in and the slider function is fantastic, allowing you to dial your exact yardage from 20-120 yards. Can't recommend it enough.

PM me if you have specific questions as I know I was overwhelmed when I first started sight shopping.

Next thing you know you'll buy a target sight for 3D!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 07:29 PM

I believe if you want to use a multipin sight for 3d or target all pins must be the same size.

LC
Old 03-26-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I believe if you want to use a multipin sight for 3d or target all pins must be the same size.

LC
I was unaware of this, thanks for the info. Does that mean I'm not going to be able to shoot men's release at the oilmans shoot. I just got Tammy to change me over from men's open. I have three pins at .019", and bottom two at .010".
Old 03-26-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
I was unaware of this, thanks for the info. Does that mean I'm not going to be able to shoot men's release at the oilmans shoot. I just got Tammy to change me over from men's open. I have three pins at .019", and bottom two at .010".
You have to check with them as per their rules, but if using fixed pins, I believe they must be the same size if following Archery Canada rules. It is a marked yardage shoot this year so not sure if that matters?

Also .381" is the max arrow size allowed, Goldtip X-Cutter is .380"

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-26-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:51 PM

I could be mistaken on this one

"Circle pins" I interpreted as any sight pin, but I think it's an old school style of pin.

LC
Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 PM

I started out with a basic package bow a bowtech Carbon icon. I have since replaced every accessory on it. The one thing that made the biggest difference to my shooting was a QAD Drop away rest my bad shots got less bad if that makes sense. I love my black gold ascent 3 pin slider for shooting a various and random distances out to 80m so far, but as far as just pure accuracy new sight only made a small difference the pins however are noticeably nicer. If I could only keep one upgrade I made to my bow it would be the rest.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:17 PM

Do any of you folks see dial in one pin sights showing up at these 3D shoots.

Lancaster HHA TE-3810 or TE-5510.

Another I spotted was a HHA sports optimizer.

It looks like they adjust fast with the dial, don't know as I've never had sights like this.

Don
Old 03-27-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post

It looks like they adjust fast with the dial, don't know as I've never had sights like this.

Don
Lots of single pin dial sights at shoots, puts you on "open" class.

LC
Old 03-28-2017, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post

Don

As already mentioned it puts you in open class, but a single
Pin gives a great uncluttered sight picture.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:53 AM

Thanks folks.

I was looking at this idea as I get eye sight cluttered with too many pins a-possed to the old single slide pin system I once had years ago, it was not a quality unit by any means.

I went back too a 4 pin set-up with glow in the dark and power light on dull light days, helped alot.
Guess the time has come too consider all new sights as my eyes aren't as good as they once were.

Been YouTube-ing videos of clarifier peeps as I heard they improve sight of pin when focusing on target down range.

Many of the quality sights now days allow lens in different powers, so this is another option I'll be checking out. Ha.

The Pro Bow shops have been good as they allow me to test run stuff before buying, that way one knows if it's worth going this route. No more across the counter buys with out testing before hand. Pro Shops save us funds in the long haul

Pay a small fraction more for this option is funds saved.

Too many and trials and errors over the years learning the hard way. LOL.

Have truck will travel today at stepping up the plan of good times.

Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 03-28-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:31 AM

My hunting setups have HHA Kingpin dial sights on them. I use .010" pins and find them fantastic in all hunting situations I have been in in the last 2 years. I sent mine at 33 yards and am in an 8" hit window to 40 yards.

If it was me I would likely have upgraded my rest before my sight though. I have been using a limb driven system for the last couple of years as well my rest of choice for hunting is a hamskea hunter hybrid. The limb driven rest is way easier to set up way easier to maintain and is more foolproof than a was or rip cord.

Jmo.

Norm
Old 03-28-2017, 08:48 AM

I would upgrade the rest. Look at the AAE Pro Drop Rest, good for going back and forth between target and hunting.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:08 AM

Lots of solid drop away options. In addition to those listed already, I've had great luck with the Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro.

The Hamskea hybrid Hunter is awesome as well.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:07 PM

Trophy Book Archery today too spend some coin.

Axel single pin sight, stabilizers, and a rest that Richard will pick out for my applications.

Time too step up my game plan as I enjoy archery much like many other folks.

Distance for targets, close range for game as planned.
Tree lounge stands have been an asset too.

This will be 10th or 20th up-grade over the years
Ha. Wished I'd jumped on the band wagon way back then.

Bow folks are awesome as the thrill in fare chase is a constant.

Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 03-28-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:40 PM

Spent the day with Richard at Trophy Book Archery.

He's helping me get set-up with different sights, then a drop away rest.

We talked about where I want too shot and what kind of shots I'll do over the next few years.
That way I get a better handle of how too improve what I have and gives Richard and idea of how to assist me in getting there.
All win win when working with a Pro Shop that deals in Archery and Cross Bows along with accessories related to the sport.

So,,, the plan is too remain open with game harvest and Hunting class 3D shoots.

This less is more idea saves me funds, opens the door too better shooting and less tinkering over all.

I'll never be Tournament material, nor I'm I interested in going this route, reasons being cost, time, and perhaps pressure. Ha,,, "NOT."

My Bow, set-up, and I are more in line with Game Harvest and 3D options, my skills fall into this category along with mind set.

Glad Richard assisted me with this as its important too choose where one wants too be in the Archery World of things.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get my photo sharing system fix. LOL.

Don at keeping it simple, un-cluttered, basic, practical, and enjoyable at all stages of the plan
Old 03-28-2017, 09:52 PM

Thanks for all the input, I've decided to get a new sight first.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 AM

Very lucky too have Pro Shops here as they help get the Geo of our bows lined up from the get go, then assist us in what direction best suits our shooting styles.

I'd never do good in tournaments nor is that the direction I want to go,,, this saves me $$$ over the long haul.

Yet I wish not too remain at this time in the frugal category since I have a pricey bow that can shoot better with the proper equipment.

I find out that my peep sight and pin sight don't match as the peep does not allow me too rest the clear part of the see threw on top of the round housing off the front sight.

In other words, my peep is too small causing me too adjust me line of eye sight when choosing one of the 4 pins,,, so the new " clarifier" peep I ordered is going to be a fraction larger so my sight "of vision" remains the same all the time a-possed too aligning sight too each pin as needed... Who-Daa Thunk.

The new peep comes with option of using clarifier or without as different light conditions might not allow me to us it.
I ordered the 5 for now as it is the 50/50 in my vision of pin visibility too target clarity. "more pin then target"
Lets say 60% pin too 40% target. Option too change this as well.

So the sight I picked is a HHA single pin with thumb slider that is fast. Leave at 27 yards as it allows arrow to remain with in the 4" high up close too 4" low up to 33 too 37 yards. 60 lb draw with medium weight arrows.

I have a 2x lens coming in a few weeks, I'll pick up a 4x lens latter on.

Richard has a good drop away rest system that works excellent with Matthews bows, so koods too him for learning his stuff.

Plan is too work with sights at first, then later switch the rest.

Small changes at one time too improve consistency of bow and I.

All win win as its nice too plink at targets with out distracting the nabours. Ha. All of them are out door folks as well.

Don
Old 03-29-2017, 12:52 PM

Are you planning on hunting with a lens?

If so you need to get a peep that accepts a clarifier and go down a whole other road, Archery is fun!

I recommend not hunting with a lens personally.

LC
Old 03-29-2017, 06:10 PM

Yes for the new peep that is designed for a clarifier, I can use it with or without as it comes with a lens-less blank if I don't want to use it.

As for the bow sight it has the same option of with or without.
3D shoots with, Harvesting with out.

Richard let me try his sights in 4X as it was too much for my applications.

The 2x will how ever work good for gophers, rabbits, and grouse.

Light conditions and shaded in dark tree spots play a role as I've heard, so now I get a chance too find this out.

No magnification for big game harvest as breaking & setting sun light allows critters too blend into background under magnification from what I've heard.

Any-who,,, new HHA single pin sight allows me range from 10 too 87 yards, will bump lim weight another2 lbs too 62 lbs.

Adding extra peep above the regular peep for long distance fun shooting. LOL.

Still having issues with Photobucket as I'll post our range.
Todays shoot was mostly 20 too 60 yards,,, then a bit at 70 & 80 yards.

Fun shooting took me out too 100, 135, 150 on this outting. Last year I was Dialing in on target at 220 yards using the top of my Wisker Brisket.

We will be doing 3 arrow Clout Shooting this spring.
Furthest distance with tightest group wins a free coffee.
38 degrees we're thinking.

Always trying different things too make archery fun and challenging.

Lots of colored balloons will see their fate this year. LOL.

Don