Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 PM

Default Any Z5 Swaro out there?

I just bought a Z5 Swaro 3-18x44 with the Ballistic Turret on a weak moment and had an impulse buy. They are sale at Grouse River for a super price.
Anyone been using this scope and what do you think?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:31 PM

I have two Z5 3.5-18x44 scopes, but both have the BRH reticle. I find them to be very reliable, as well as providing clear optics that offer great light transmission.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I just bought a Z5 Swaro 3-18x44 with the Ballistic Turret on a weak moment and had an impulse buy. They are sale at Grouse River for a super price.
Anyone been using this scope and what do you think?
What was the price?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:35 PM

Anyone looking to buy a Swaro scope they are on sale right now. I saved a good $500 or more. I think it was even cheaper than getting one from the USA..
What do you like about that Reticle ELK 11?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
What was the price?
http://www.grouseriver.com/Optics/Ri...ands/Swarovski

http://www.grouseriver.com/Swarovski...44-Riflescopes

$5 shipping and like $80 something for GST
Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks
Old 03-16-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Anyone looking to buy a Swaro scope they are on sale right now. I saved a good $500 or more. I think it was even cheaper than getting one from the USA..
What do you like about that Reticle ELK 11?
The reticle closely matches the trajectory of my 7mmstw load to 500 yards, and is fairly close to my 270wsm trajectory out of my 1885 with a 28" barrel.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:17 PM

I have the z5 like you just bought plus a couple z6's with a turret and the other is BRH reticle and there good,you will be happy with what you got.I let my brother my 7mm with the z6 and he took a wolf at 500 yards last week on a lake,i have the turret dialed in to 600 and he said he just put it on 500 and it never even made a big hole,big black and whitest gray.It was getting late and it was still shooting time and he said the swaro looked like the middle of the day,so you will like this scope,there is a video out on removing the your turret and getting a dail for your exact bullet weight and getting more moa's out of it.Omer from plain sight solution put it out.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:47 PM

I have that same scope not a big fan of the turret I plan on ordering the custom dial in meters once I get my load worked up and it will be a lot better. The glass in it looks great I do t regret buying it at all.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:06 PM

Default Any Z5 Swaro out there?

I have had this scope with the ballistic turret and 4w reticle for the last couple years. Glass is top quality and I like the BT elevation dial because it allows me to customize the distance corrections to correspond to whatever load I'm working with.

I've seen some internet reviews that claim the Z5 line doesn't track well, but I have had nothing but great experiences with it.

I zero for 200, and use the green, yellow and red for 300, 400, and 500yds. I then take a fine point marker and mark 25yd increments on the actual turret from 200yd to about 750yd (or whatever the 13MOA range adjustment that the BT allows).

I guess that this brings up one of the big drawbacks of the BT: limited elevation adjustment. If you're a real long range aficionado, you'll find the 13MOA will limit you to around 800yd, depending on cartridge and load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dave99; 03-16-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
I have had this scope with the ballistic turret and 4w reticle for the last couple years. Glass is top quality and I like the BT elevation dial because it allows me to customize the distance corrections to correspond to whatever load I'm working with.

I've seen some internet reviews that claim the Z5 line doesn't track well, but I have had nothing but great experiences with it.

I zero for 200, and use the green, yellow and red for 300, 400, and 500yds. I then take a fine point marker and mark 25yd increments on the actual turret from 200yd to about 750yd (or whatever the 13MOA range adjustment that the BT allows).

I guess that this brings up one of the big drawbacks of the BT: limited elevation adjustment. If you're a real long range aficionado, you'll find the 13MOA will limit you to around 800yd, depending on cartridge and load.

Dido same process love the system
Old 03-17-2017, 06:21 AM

I just bought a couple off of Plain Sight Solutions (Omer) out of BC. Pricing was a little better than GR. Great scopes.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:50 AM
Gone Hunting

I have same scope with 4W reticle for about 4 years now.
I love Ballistic Turret as you could use it for every cartridge and every load.
My is mainly on 300 Win Mag and set 3" high at 100 y will go up to 650 y
I think 500 is about as far as I dare to shoot those days.
Lite weight, compact, perfect for my Sako Finnlight as a carry on your shoulder all day rig.
I hate "Christmas Tree" reticles. Did try couple and I like to have one crosshair not 10. When Buck Fever kicks in I find them confusing.
BTW with this set up I dont have to adjust anything on shots up to 300 y or so.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 03-17-2017, 08:07 AM

Great scopes. I have three and would for sure recommend getting the custom turret for it. Prophet river ordered all the turrets for me as other places I talked to had no clue what I was talking about. Comparing scope weights for my weatherby ultra light it was tough to find a scope weighing less then the Swarovski 5-25x52 so that's what I went with.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE
I guess that this brings up one of the big drawbacks of the BT: limited elevation adjustment. If you're a real long range aficionado, you'll find the 13MOA will limit you to around 800yd, depending on cartridge and load. [/QUOTE]

Omer posted video:

How to remove Zero stop from Swarovski Z3,Z5,Z6 Rifle scope to use it for long range shooting.

Z5 3.5-18x44 BT has 15.5 MoA per revolution (limited by zero stop to 53 clicks or 13.25 MoA) for Total 70.5 MoA available adjustment with Zero stop removed !!!

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...range-shooting

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 03-17-2017, 06:56 PM

Just bought a Z5 5-25x52 BT. Hope it's a good scope. Putting it on a light weight 6.5x47. Waiting on my stock then I'll mount and set it up for 500 yds. Not going to be my long range gun. Wanted something lite. I'm sure you will be happy with it.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:28 PM

Omer posted video:

How to remove Zero stop from Swarovski Z3,Z5,Z6 Rifle scope to use it for long range shooting.

Z5 3.5-18x44 BT has 15.5 MoA per revolution (limited by zero stop to 53 clicks or 13.25 MoA) for Total 70.5 MoA available adjustment with Zero stop removed !!!

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...range-shooting[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the useful link and info! I didn't know that it is removable for LR shooting.

My z5 3-18x is on a Kimber Montana .280AI, and the BT tops out at 750yd with my current load. That's well past my comfort zone for shooting at game. If I ever mount it onto a dedicated LR rifle I'll have to remove the zero stop.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKMUDDER View Post
I just bought a couple off of Plain Sight Solutions (Omer) out of BC. Pricing was a little better than GR. Great scopes.
I try and buy from others ,but for some reason there is no room to move on there price,he is one of the top optic guys around and if something is wrong or you need help with all the new stuff out there OMER takes the time to help you one on one and that to me is priceless,besides being a man of very hi integrity and he is not a greedy man.Wants to make a buck like the rest ,but well do his best to get you what you need,has all top end optics ,plus sells some real nice guns at fair prices,he had a new finnlight 7mm rem mag for 1999 and the rest are all asking 2300.,i also bought the custom dial from him on my Z6,it came with a ballistic turret on my Swarovski then I seen his video on how to put it on and increase your moa dials and I am very happy with this set up,i have 3 dials if I decide to change bullets and there bang on.Just my two cents on a good place to get you the best and help teach you the in's and out's.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I try and buy from others ,but for some reason there is no room to move on there price,he is one of the top optic guys around and if something is wrong or you need help with all the new stuff out there OMER takes the time to help you one on one and that to me is priceless,besides being a man of very hi integrity and he is not a greedy man.Wants to make a buck like the rest ,but well do his best to get you what you need,has all top end optics ,plus sells some real nice guns at fair prices,he had a new finnlight 7mm rem mag for 1999 and the rest are all asking 2300.,i also bought the custom dial from him on my Z6,it came with a ballistic turret on my Swarovski then I seen his video on how to put it on and increase your moa dials and I am very happy with this set up,i have 3 dials if I decide to change bullets and there bang on.Just my two cents on a good place to get you the best and help teach you the in's and out's.
I never knew about him before. Just looked it up and I guess I could have saved $20. I wonder if he could ship for $5 like I got? I figure those are some real good prices and will have to remember Omer for next time. I don't think you can get them any cheaper out of the States after exchange rate.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:57 PM

I have a couple 3.5x18x44 BRX and love them
Lots of guys I shoot with end up buying them in BRH,
I've got one on my mtn rifle and it's been bumped around abit and only thing wrong with it is I lost my gold hawk on the focus nob, but that helps in weight cutting , it probably cut at least 0.3 of a gram 😜