Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 05:29 AM

Default Recommendations for best system to record Hunt footage

So I'm in the market to purchase a New system for recording my Hunting and Outdoors Footage.
I have been a Mac guy for the last 8-10 years. I liked them when they came out but its seems the high Cost and having to buy all the separate Bolt ons and software does not make them above the rest.
They used to come with things like I-DVD and the burner etc made them seem better but now you have to buy it all separate.

I am kind of leaning towards Windows again. I'm asking all you people that are editing and creating your own Hunt films . The problem is what brand and where would you purchase from. Do you get the larger monitor and separate speakers etc. Is Adobe the the software you would use for special effects etc.

What speed , How much storage etc , Do you just buy separate memory storage. What size of memory sticks, or Old fashioned DVD's

Any Info or Pm's if you prefer would be appreciated. Heck attach links to your videos here on this Thread. I know lots of us Amateurs are doing it ...

Thanks ...
Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
So I'm in the market to purchase a New system for recording my Hunting and Outdoors Footage.
I have been a Mac guy for the last 8-10 years. I liked them when they came out but its seems the high Cost and having to buy all the separate Bolt ons and software does not make them above the rest.
They used to come with things like I-DVD and the burner etc made them seem better but now you have to buy it all separate.

I am kind of leaning towards Windows again. I'm asking all you people that are editing and creating your own Hunt films . The problem is what brand and where would you purchase from. Do you get the larger monitor and separate speakers etc. Is Adobe the the software you would use for special effects etc.

What speed , How much storage etc , Do you just buy separate memory storage. What size of memory sticks, or Old fashioned DVD's

Any Info or Pm's if you prefer would be appreciated. Heck attach links to your videos here on this Thread. I know lots of us Amateurs are doing it ...

Thanks ...

I got sick of waiting for the new MacBook Pro. I don’t know what’s going on with Apple lately, but for them to drop all of the ports etc on their flagship laptop is completely insane.

Check this out:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc

Couple of thoughts, “apple isn’t apple without Steve Jobs” and “creativiity can’t wait around for technology”.

Long story short-i picked up a powerful (upgradeable pc) gaming laptop for video rendering on the road. battery life sucks (have a decent infield work around).

Off machine storagebackup/ is essential (IMO).

your welcome to PM me if you need more details.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Banned

I have an Asus laptop that I use for all my AutoCAD and video editing. It's older and they don't make them like they used to. Looks like a macbook and had better specs than a macbook, oh and it was 1 grand cheaper haha.

I use a Sony camcorder since I am scared to take the DSLR out, Vegas for editing and from time to time windows movie maker when I am lazy.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:51 PM

Would love it too if guys can include their video camera of choice. Make and model. I'd love to start messing around with that for fun.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:17 PM

I made the switch to Mac for the wife/kids... Maintenance has been somewhat easier but now I find out that I need a tool to remove the front glass to upgrade the memory... Grrrrrrrrr.

Only a couple of years old but it's getting sloooooooow.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:53 PM

Thanks Guys. Quite a few of us dabble with recording our Hunting memories.
Either way i think the external hard drive is the place to store all the footage so it does not slow down or computers and in case the computer crashes.

I run a Canon XA20 and its a great camera for the money and to have to pack around it's still light enough.

I think the editing program is a big part of what we all need.
Music we use has to be Copyright and Royalty free as well or You tube will just take down your hard earned work.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I made the switch to Mac for the wife/kids... Maintenance has been somewhat easier but now I find out that I need a tool to remove the front glass to upgrade the memory... Grrrrrrrrr.

Only a couple of years old but it's getting sloooooooow.
I am using a mid 2007 iMac and it is just starting to slow down now. I will be looking at a new one soon.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:00 PM

Macs have the best in house edditimg software but honestly most people i know who are serius end up purchising third party that is avalible on both. Also windows allows for you to replace parts though only people with serius gaming laptops seem to but it is an option.