Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-17-2016, 04:09 PM

Some great animals posted here. I look forward to being able to add one to this, my favorite thread each year, one day. It's tough not having much time to commit to getting it done. Thanks to all for posting the pics
Old 10-17-2016, 05:04 PM

First big game archery kill. Not a huge speedy but one I'll never forget:
Old 10-17-2016, 06:03 PM

Awesome!

LC
Old 10-17-2016, 06:34 PM

Great job on the Pronghorn. So much fun, so great to eat
Old 10-17-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
First big game archery kill. Not a huge speedy but one I'll never forget:
Not too many people can say that a pronghorn was there first archery kill. Excellent job. Well done.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:25 PM

Wow! These are some amazing Bulls guys! I still have yet to draw my bow on a bull, although I've been chasing them for a while!
Old 10-20-2016, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Congrats on your fine moose gentlemen. Hopefully those big ones taste as good as they look.
Thanks guys!

And he wasn't the oldest bull! So he's still tender and juicy!

Came in on a string to cow and bull calls, had to walk right at him grunting to close the distance and get a shooting lane.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Thanks guys!

And he wasn't the oldest bull! So he's still tender and juicy!

Came in on a string to cow and bull calls, had to walk right at him grunting to close the distance and get a shooting lane.
oh that is the best part of the hunt! looks delicious. congrats
Old 10-20-2016, 03:16 PM

Will get the story of this hunt posted eventually.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:38 PM

Default October Whitetail

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...psa5krwlqx.jpg
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...pszkhm9fqf.jpg
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2j0amwsc.jpg

First try with photo bucket
Old 10-20-2016, 08:04 PM

Default October Whitetail

Was fortunate enough to put this fellow on the ground yesterday morning. Prior to his arrival I had rattled in two spikers and a button buck. He came in from upwind on a trail through the spruce and I had about 2 seconds to make my mind up and draw as he went past. He gave me a 12 yard broadside chip shot and that's all she wrote. He piled up within sight at about 50 yards. I used my barrel sled to slide him out on the snow. Its kind of nice to be done before the cold and snows of November are upon us.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolt30 View Post
Great bull congrats. Don take too long to post it!
Old 10-21-2016, 10:58 AM

September 8th Archery Buck 2016

Old 10-21-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Wicked Bull. Congrats.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antler1 View Post
Was fortunate enough to put this fellow on the ground yesterday morning. Prior to his arrival I had rattled in two spikers and a button buck. He came in from upwind on a trail through the spruce and I had about 2 seconds to make my mind up and draw as he went past. He gave me a 12 yard broadside chip shot and that's all she wrote. He piled up within sight at about 50 yards. I used my barrel sled to slide him out on the snow. Its kind of nice to be done before the cold and snows of November are upon us.
Nice buck. Looks like you put a good hit on him too. Good stuff!
Old 10-22-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Great bull! Great field photo too. Congrats!
Old 10-22-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Freakin awesome. That's a nice buck!
Old 10-23-2016, 02:16 PM

I finally got me first big game animal and with my bow to boot.
I picked up my hunting partner for an afternoon hunt on October 21st. We got to our spot that we have been scouting all summer with trail cams, never seeing anything but mule deer does. We have been saving this spot as a fall back to fill a late season tag. The afternoon started off pretty quietly. Nothing seemed to be moving. We finally spotted a doe up on a ridge. So off we went chasing after a doe. By the time we crossed the creek and made it up the hill she was no where to be seen. We kept searching the ridge only to spook off a pair of does higher up the hillside. We decided to sit and scope the hills and ridges. We kept hearing a constant buzzing that got louder and then faded away. Well it turns out there was a drone circling overhead. We watched this thing circle around over and over for a half hour before deciding to head back accross the creek away from this drone. We came to a "Y" in the trail and decided to split up as both paths lead to different sides of a pond that we have seen lots of activity at. I got maybe 50 yards away and got busted by a mullie doe. I stopped dead in my tracks and stood as still as I could. While I'm having a staring duel with this doe, I could hear some rustling behind in the direction my hunting partner was. This rustling starts getting louder and louder. I'm starting to wonder what is going on. I didn't want to turn around as I'm still staring at this doe. Finally the noise is even louder. I can't not look anymore. I turn around just in time to see a moose running towards me. It must have caught wind of me as it stopped right before getting to the trail that I am standing on. It turns it's head only to have a tree in its line of vision. I drew back my bow and waited. It took a few steps forward into the trail and is facing me head on 20 yards away. I held on and waited for what felt like forever. Finally he turns to give me a perfect broad side shot and I release. Perfect shot he runs 20 yards into the bush and crashes. I stood there for 10 minutes listening, not moving a muscle. I finally sneak away to find my partner. I find him searching feverishly for something. So I asked him "did you see the moose?". "Yes" he says "I saw a bull moose! He made me out at the same time as I made him out. He started running. So I tried running after him. Did you see it?". "I shot it. It's dead over there in the bush". After celebratory high fives we waited an extra 20 minutes just in case (longest 20 minutes of my life!) and went to find the bull. We found him 25 yards away from the trail. After saying thanks to the big man above we took a few pictures

It was one of the most exciting and memorable moments of my life. I will never forget it!

Last edited by Bulldog Edm; 10-23-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
I finally got me first big game animal and with my bow to boot.
I picked up my hunting partner for an afternoon hunt on October 21st. We got to our spot that we have been scouting all summer with trail cams, never seeing anything but mule deer does. We have been saving this spot as a fall back to fill a late season tag. The afternoon started off pretty quietly. Nothing seemed to be moving. We finally spotted a doe up on a ridge. So off we went chasing after a doe. By the time we crossed the creek and made it up the hill she was no where to be seen. We kept searching the ridge only to spook off a pair of does higher up the hillside. We decided to sit and scope the hills and ridges. We kept hearing a constant buzzing that got louder and then faded away. Well it turns out there was a drone circling overhead. We watched this thing circle around over and over for a half hour before deciding to head back accross the creek away from this drone. We came to a "Y" in the trail and decided to split up as both paths lead to different sides of a pond that we have seen lots of activity at. I got maybe 50 yards away and got busted by a mullie doe. I stopped dead in my tracks and stood as still as I could. While I'm having a staring duel with this doe, I could hear some rustling behind in the direction my hunting partner was. This rustling starts getting louder and louder. I'm starting to wonder what is going on. I didn't want to turn around as I'm still staring at this doe. Finally the noise is even louder. I can't not look anymore. I turn around just in time to see a moose running towards me. It must have caught wind of me as it stopped right before getting to the trail that I am standing on. It turns it's head only to have a tree in its line of vision. I drew back my bow and waited. It took a few steps forward into the trail and is facing me head on 20 yards away. I held on and waited for what felt like forever. Finally he turns to give me a perfect broad side shot and I release. Perfect shot he runs 20 yards into the bush and crashes. I stood there for 10 minutes listening, not moving a muscle. I finally sneak away to find my partner. I find him searching feverishly for something. So I asked him "did you see the moose?". "Yes" he says "I saw a bull moose! He made me out at the same time as I made him out. He started running. So I tried running after him. Did you see it?". "I shot it. It's dead over there in the bush". After celebratory high fives we waited an extra 20 minutes just in case (longest 20 minutes of my life!) and went to find the bull. We found him 25 yards away from the trail. After saying thanks to the big man above we took a few pictures

It was one of the most exciting and memorable moments of my life. I will never forget it!
Congrats! Great story and well done for first moose.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Beauty!!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:21 PM

Got excited and only managed to get this photo. First year with a bow and this is the site of the impact. Very impressed with how well the Grim Reaper worked. There is now white tail in the freezer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2016, 08:11 AM

Great moose this year hitting the ground! Love those October whitetails - congrats to all.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:18 AM

good looking critters fellas
Old 10-27-2016, 08:34 AM

Better late then never I guess hey?!? Second bull in 3 yrs., my Irish ancestory must be helping!! Was actually hunting elk, but this guy made the mistake of looking me in the eye...lol

Great bunch of critters in this thread guys (and ladies!!), HUGE congrats to you all. Going on 5 yrs without getting an elk, hope it works out one of these years.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:17 PM

Nice looking bull! Shouldn't have made eye contact with you. Game over!
Old 11-01-2016, 10:22 AM

First whitetail buck with the bow. He was my number 2 buck I've been hunting since August. Clipped his big brother a couple weeks ago, but just educated him. Caught this guy feeding Through the field slipped into position trying to figure out where he would head into the bush. Worked out perfect. Got in front of him. Good wind, long shot at 65 yards. but made it count, rage tore him up and passed right through.and he Hit the bush. Backed out came back later and found him about 50 yards and piled up. I shoot a Mathews z7 with rage 2 blades.

Attachment 127071

Attachment 127072

Attachment 127073

Attachment 127074

Old 11-01-2016, 01:38 PM

Nice one! Nice balance of tine length, overall spread and mass.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBD6 View Post
First whitetail buck with the bow. He was my number 2 buck I've been hunting since August. Clipped his big brother a couple weeks ago, but just educated him. Caught this guy feeding Through the field slipped into position trying to figure out where he would head into the bush. Worked out perfect. Got in front of him. Good wind, long shot at 65 yards. but made it count, rage tore him up and passed right through.and he Hit the bush. Backed out came back later and found him about 50 yards and piled up. I shoot a Mathews z7 with rage 2 blades.

Attachment 127071

Attachment 127072

Attachment 127073

Attachment 127074
Good job Bo Duce
Old 11-04-2016, 12:04 AM

Brought my son into a treestand for the first time. After the initial shock of being 18ft high, he settled into glassing for WT deer. We spotted a couple does during fading light and I made a perfect double lung 30 yard shot with my Bear BR33. We climbed down and I explained the next steps of retrieval. He really enjoyed tracking the deer so I let him lead until he found her about 80 yards away. He could not believe she went that far. He loved watching the lumenok fly and said, "it was like a missile"

Old 11-04-2016, 09:02 AM

^^^^

Just awesome!!!