Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-20-2016, 03:53 PM

Default Bear Spray

So I am pretty my all set up and anxiously waiting for bow season to start. Been going over all my gear. I realized that I don't have any bear spray. I have slugs for my shot gun but I wouldn't mind getting some bear spray as well. I never really looked into it before so I am wondering where everyone is getting it and how much is it?

B.E.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:23 PM

40+ usually? I think mine was 44.. Depends what kind you get. It's worth it Forsure if I'm gonna get taken down by a bear I would want as many tools to fight him off as possible always beat to increase your chances of staying safe I got to many loved ones at home waiting for me that if I didn't bring it.. I feel like it would be a slap in the face to them if I didn't atleast bring it.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:10 PM

You can get it at outdoor stores like atmosphere, MEC, bass pro, cabelas, Canadian tire and sometimes Walmart!
Old 08-20-2016, 07:16 PM

$39.99 at The Fishin Hole
Old 08-20-2016, 08:08 PM

Thanks guys. I figured it wouldn't be to hard to find. My wife was the one who suggested it. With loved ones at home like cdales said I would rather have and not need it then need it and not have it.

So the higher the Capsaicin % the better?
Old 08-20-2016, 09:50 PM

Canadiantire. Lose the shotgun.. buy a holster for the bear spray and have within reach. U should be goood
Old 08-20-2016, 10:03 PM

Default Yup

Go as strong as you can. Expect to buy a holster for it as well for 5 to 10 bucks. Hang onto your can when it expires and practice with it. Be sensible of course.

Grizzly bears can cover ground pretty quick when they charge. Consider reaching for the spray when the seconds count over the shotgun.

Time how long you take to grab the firearm, get it to your shoulder, rack a slug, flip the safety, aim at a moving critter...

Let's say you startle a bear at 80 metres and it decides to neutralize you. It takes you 2 seconds to react, .8 to grab the gun, 2 to get it up to your shoulder or pointed in the right way, .5 to hit the safety and so on. You're probably not doing much yelling... Just pooping your pants. Odds are you wont have time. You're making a good investment in peace of mind... Or flavouring yourself prior to being eaten.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:05 PM

Be sure to check the expiry date. Some stores don't watch that and you could end up with some outdated stuff. It may still work but the fresher the better I think. If you happen to have an expired one kicking around it's good to use it for practice to get used to deploying and using it. Then take a fresh one out hunting with you
Old 08-23-2016, 06:04 PM

The pepper in the spray will not go bad or stale with the expiry date. It's the propellant that actually expires. Still a good idea to not use it after the expiry date. Like others have said...take it out somewhere and practice with that expired can. Just remember to point it downwind!! Also consider that expelled bearspray is not a bear deterrent...it can actually attract bears, so do your practicing away from where there is a possibility of attracting bears.

Ad yes, get the highest percentage of capsicum you can...the closer to 1% the better.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:23 PM

I think Canada ammo brought a bunch in that's quite high percentage. They also have trainer cans
Thinking about picking one up myself as mine has expired
Old 08-23-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova316 View Post
I think Canada ammo brought a bunch in that's quite high percentage. They also have trainer cans
Thinking about picking one up myself as mine has expired
What is the shelf life of a can?
Old 08-23-2016, 11:33 PM

The expiration date is on a sticker on the bottom of the can I have.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:26 AM

Thumbs up

Also keep it in a easy place to get ,not much good if its in your pack ,i keep one on my hip and small one on my pack .
Old 08-24-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post

So the higher the Capsaicin % the better?
I think 1% is the most you can buy. Get that. I've seen less around so be careful. I think in the States the percentages look higher but they talk about CapsaicinOIDS, which includes stuff that isn't actually the main ingredient.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:23 PM

I just bought some off Amazon for 37.99. Free shipping and a chest holster for 15$ only worry is like ppl say it could be outdated. But at least I can send it back if so.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:42 PM

I ended up picking some up at Canadian tire the other day because I was there. They had two different ones. One that had .75% Capsaicin for $44 and the other with 1% for $54.

I ended up going out for a morning afternoon hunt today for the archery season opener even though I wasn't supposed to get out until Sept 1st. I scared up a few whitetail does in the morning couldn't get close enough for the shot. I was walking back to my pickup in the afternoon and I spotted some trees rustling around. I checked my wind and made my approach. I ended up 15 yards from a nice black bear. Of course I didn't have my black bear license because I wasn't planning on visiting this area for a few weeks yet and I only decided late last night that I was going out for the morning. I tried to take a video but I was too excited and it didn't really turn out. I know he knew I was there but he didn't care at all and kept rubbing up against some trees. Then he'd move to the next set of trees. He came up, out onto the trail and gave me a nice 20 yard broadside pose before moving into the bush on the other side of the trail. It was nice experience. I did get spooked at first when I realized it was a bear. I reached for my bear spray right away and was looking around to make sure I wasn't in between it and Cubs.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
I ended up picking some up at Canadian tire the other day because I was there. They had two different ones. One that had .75% Capsaicin for $44 and the other with 1% for $54.

so which did you buy? LOL
Old 08-26-2016, 02:16 PM

Crap did not see this I could have got you UDAP 225g 75% capsaicin with holster for about $38-40 next time.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportHuntingHelp View Post
Crap did not see this I could have got you UDAP 225g 75% capsaicin with holster for about $38-40 next time.
When it comes to something where it's only use is to save your life in a critical situation, why would you buy lower strength to save $10? I am no bear spray expert, and have never had to use it (touch wood), but I don't get it.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
When it comes to something where it's only use is to save your life in a critical situation, why would you buy lower strength to save $10? I am no bear spray expert, and have never had to use it (touch wood), but I don't get it.
Well Oko I had the 75% on hand so that is why I mentioned it. It is what I carry with me. In reality the breakdown is .75% Capsaicin plus related Capsaicinoids of 0.64% = Total 1.39%

Or the Yukon Magnum by defense aerosols Contains 1% Capsaicin plus related Capsaicinoids of 0.72% = Total 1.72%

The other things you want to look at is effective spray distance and duration of spray. Like you I have never had to use it but hope the product holds up to the testimonies if I ever need it.

Last edited by SportHuntingHelp; 08-26-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
Go as strong as you can. Expect to buy a holster for it as well for 5 to 10 bucks. Hang onto your can when it expires and practice with it. Be sensible of course.

Grizzly bears can cover ground pretty quick when they charge. Consider reaching for the spray when the seconds count over the shotgun.

Time how long you take to grab the firearm, get it to your shoulder, rack a slug, flip the safety, aim at a moving critter...

Let's say you startle a bear at 80 metres and it decides to neutralize you. It takes you 2 seconds to react, .8 to grab the gun, 2 to get it up to your shoulder or pointed in the right way, .5 to hit the safety and so on. You're probably not doing much yelling... Just pooping your pants. Odds are you wont have time. You're making a good investment in peace of mind... Or flavouring yourself prior to being eaten.
A biker got attacked by a grizzly in Jasper a couple years ago and the bear bit the bearspray on his backpack as the guy was laying on his stomach - You never know, might just get lucky like him! Although, you're better off keeping it accessible in a holster on your hip belt etc.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...pray-1.2653704
Old 08-26-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
so which did you buy? LOL
I got the 1%. The only thing that concerns me is that it has longer spray distance. Same size bottle. Wouldn't that mean it would not last as long?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
The expiration date is on a sticker on the bottom of the can I have.
Well since I have never had any I don't know if the shelf life is a year or 2 or 6 months. When I go to buy a can I would like to know if the can has been sitting on the shelf for a while. So when I go in and look at the expiry date and it says expires in 3 months, not knowing the average life span of a can how can I tell if I should walk away and look elsewhere for a newer can.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:24 PM

Bear spray expires in 3 years after its manufacturing date. Stock that is on the shelf should have an expiry date of 2018 or 2019. Don't buy a product with anything less than .0875% Capsaicin, related capsaicinoids is irrelevant. Yukon Magnum, Bear Defence Professional, Sabre Max and Frontiersman Extra are the best products out there. All have 1% Capsaicin, the max amount legally sold in Canada. 325 gram cans are better than 225 gram cans as they have more volume. For any further info take a look at www.bearscare.ca. Send me a message and I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. We have used it on black, grizzly and polar bears.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:24 PM

I think the expiration dates on the ones I've seen are around 3-5 years.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:24 PM

Thanks Bearscare, That was exactly the info I was looking for.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:13 AM

Also consider adding an air horn to your arsenal. Met some guys on the trail that have had success blasting the horn. We have not had to deploy the air horn for bears yet. Scares off what you are chasing too but you live to chase another day.

Was introduced to a company that provides animal protection/deterrent to companies working remote locations. They also carry air horns as their first line of defense