Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-29-2016, 09:52 AM
Banned

Default Rip cord issues

Hello all. Well I'm new to this site and would like to say hello. I've been an archery hunter for 15 years this year and first year using a rip cord fall away. Well today had a bull elk at 40 yards and I released and the rest jumped back up and my arrow has now gone, I was able to get bull to stop again I cycled rest up and down then shot again at 50 and same thing bounced right back up!!! 2 arrows lost now what is causing this to happen?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 AM

Your football slid up and your rest isn't dropping (times wrong as a result)....I like to serve them into the down cable and then you never have that issue.

LC
Old 08-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Banned

Thank you very much i wish this would've happened when I was out practicing not when I finally have elk in my sight but I guess it's a expensive lesson learned. Now 4 arrows down but they make new ones every day.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Thank you very much i wish this would've happened when I was out practicing not when I finally have elk in my sight but I guess it's a expensive lesson learned. Now 4 arrows down but they make new ones every day.
To test that rest, nock an arrow draw back without releasing and let down....the rest should drop (if it's an older ripcord). I presume the shot was loud? The arrow likely smoked the rest as it shot through it. If you have the right Allen key you should be able to time it in the field.

LC
Old 08-29-2016, 12:56 PM

I will never use a rip cord. Was out shooting 3d yesterday and a guy with one had his fail and the other guy had it fail years ago on a moose hunt. I've heard so many issues with that brand. I'm pretty sure that one yesterday is getting replaced today.
Sucks that you missed your elk. Hopefully you replace that before you lose more game
Old 08-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Banned

Yes it was loud. I ended up going and adjusting it. I drew multiple times and letdown it goes down every time. Re sighted in with new grim reapers and never had an issue
Old 08-29-2016, 01:31 PM

I had an issue (Rip Cord Code Red) of this same thing happening but my cord was served into my down cable. It was raining and the cord was stretching so bad that it wasn't pulling my rest all the way up and if I locked it up it wasn't pulling it enough to unlock it from the locked up portion.

Took it off that day; threw it in the garbage and put on a QAD HDX. I have not had a single issue since.

The 2014 hunting season my hunting partner drew on a mule deer and shot and the rest never dropped. Something broke inside locking the rest up and it would not come down at all.

That one went in the garbage as well
Old 08-29-2016, 01:37 PM

That sounds like many things I've heard about rip cord. It's not the cord, it's internal failure. I told the guy yesterday to go to jimbows and they'll set everything up properly unlike the place he went to. He sounded pretty certain he'd be getting a qad or hamskea. Can't go wrong there
Old 08-29-2016, 01:51 PM

Been shooting a code red for the last 6-7 years, never had a problem so far, but I'm looking at getting something else when I buy my next rest, just because I want something different. Sorry about your missed opportunity. Hopefully you'll get another chance at a bull!
Old 08-29-2016, 02:48 PM

Limb driven rests remove this whole issue.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Limb driven rests remove this whole issue.
They really don't though. There are still moving parts inside the rest that can break and jam things up.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:02 PM

Ok, your call. There is a huge fundamental difference in using limb position to activate the rest and the inertia sensing systems the qad and rucord use.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Ok, your call. There is a huge fundamental difference in using limb position to activate the rest and the inertia sensing systems the qad and rucord use.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Agree...there is some large differences, a limb driven rest will never "lock up". Hamskea are a great limb driven option.

LC