Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 PM

Default Grim Reaper Practice Heads

Picked up a three pack of practice tips the other day....the real deal had better made of stronger stuff. All three have bent ferrules after a dozen shots into a Reinhart block at 50 yards. Serious doubts about using these now lol.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:21 AM

A practice head I had also broke after several shots into a "Block" target. I believe the design can not withstand the pressure because the blades are locked into place. The front of the blades on the practice tip are not sharp and act like boat anchors when the tip enters a target like the Block or Rinehart.

I now shoot the practice head into a square hay bales (not straw); hard to find, but they are around at small farms.

I can assure you the actually BH's are very durable and the 1 I shot my bull moose with last year is in my quiver for this year.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:36 AM

I agree, the actual heads are dynamic and deploy when shot. The practice heads need to be tightened after every shot. They mimic the real thing but because they are blunt they eat up the energy when they hit the target. I have only had one practice head give me an issue, that's because it came loose. So I make sure to retightened after every shot. They are turning when they hit the target and depending on the rotation they can loosen up.

The real deal are tough trocar tip with bleeders and three blades. Have passed through the last four animals I have shot 3 of those were elk.

I am happy they provide a practice head with most of their broad head styles, not every company does that.

LC
Old 08-23-2016, 07:43 AM

yup make sure to check they are tight after every shot, I have shot mine dozens of times over 3 years of having them and still in good shape. I shoot into a hard handmade target too.

Dont use the real heads for practice always save them for real game

Dont hesitate to use the real heads they are amazing and I trust them 100%, the results are incredible. I have never not had a pass thru with them
Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 AM

I haven't had any issues with the practice heads with the exception of the one I shot into a log. That one didn't fair so well. I'm not shooting into a rhinehart which I'm assuming is probably tougher than by foam block target. I find that I have to tighten almost any tip I have on at some point though. After a few shots they get loose.

I've played with a couple broadheads this year grim reapers being one and then I decided to go with slick tricks. Well after a couple shots and hearing the scream of the slick trick travelling down range I decided to just go with the Grim reaper. Was Leary going to mechanical but it was Lefty and his swearing by this broadheads that made me go with them. Well that and they hit the same as my field points.

I can wait and really hope I get to see them work on an elk or moose here in a couple weeks. Til then I'll keep shooting my one practice Grim reaper and go from there.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:07 AM

To add...I have used the practice heads on gophers before and I haven't ruined one shooting them into the ground either.

Anyone who uses or plans to use the Grim Reapers should watch these videos.

http://youtu.be/mIpechah4rc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qZOnwNS_cPw

Also every time you screw on a new head test them to make sure each blade opens with slight resistance and snaps shut when you slowly close it. In shipping the retainer rings can shift and may need to be re-seated.

LC
Old 08-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Banned

I haven't shot an animal with one yet but my hunting partner has shot 4 with them in the last 3 years. He hasn't had a pass through on any of them but they also did not run very far either. The first one he shot was actually my broadhead. I trust them fully. I have been looking for a fixed blade but I keep asking myself why.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:46 AM

Haven't had any issues with the practice tips I have used over the past few years. Other than they tear chunks out of my target, lol. I rarely shoot the broadheads into a target now either, test spin em on the arrows I want to use and go hunting.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:01 PM

I had a practice grim reaper break on me once while I was target shooting too. The piece of junk broke when I buried it halfway into a 4x4 wooden post