Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-03-2008, 12:57 PM

Default Archery shoters who wear glasses

Just curious how people who wear glasses shoot their bows. When i'm outside in the bright light wearing sunglasses i find they interfear when trying to line up through the peep sight. When it's nice and bright it's also uncomfortable not having sunglasses on and i'm just wondering how to get around the problem.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 PM

I have the same issue only been wearing glasses a few years and they are a pain to shoot bow with them on When i look out corner of eye the nose brace of glasses is in the way I take them off to shoot so a warning if you are standing in my periphery vison have good insurance !!!!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:41 PM

shoot with glasses contacts sunglasses as well as prescription sunglasses and havent found any problems it will all depend on how you have your peep positioned on your string i have mine high enough that i can shoot with glasses and low enough that i maintain all 3 of my anchor points
Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardslc View Post
Just curious how people who wear glasses shoot their bows. When i'm outside in the bright light wearing sunglasses i find they interfear when trying to line up through the peep sight.
It sounds like your draw length is too long. I can't think of a way your sunglasses or eyeglasses for that matter will interfere with the peep.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:08 AM

Same problem as Muzzy. When looking through it's the nosepeice that i see out the corner of my eye. It's not the lenses themselves hitting the peep. My draw length is fine also.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 AM

Used to have the same problems and many more during cold weather temps, high humidity, rain, snow etc.
Got my eyes lasered last Nov and problems all went away. I wish I would have done this 10 years ago.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Banned

yup, both my buddies with glasses did the laser thing....had same issues as you gube...they are both pretty happy about it forsure!
Old 06-04-2008, 08:56 AM

To clarify my previous post, if I can see my nose piece, my head is out of position and I need to adjust my draw length to correct it. To me, that means it needs to be shorter.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 AM

If you don't wear glasses and have always shot without glasses then your head position never had to accomodate for that..........now if you put on sun glasses.....that is something that is not consistent with how you started, developed and currently shoot. You'll have to change something to accommodate that.......sunglasses aren't necessary so I would not even consider doing that..............I have the same problem with sunglasses btw....not really the same problem...I don't use a peep but the bridge of the sun glasses still gets in the way of my line of sight...and I have the same problem with a bala clava that has material between the eyes (only two eye holes cut out)..........so I don't wear that either. You aren't necessarily doing anything wrong (i.e., DL too long) and I would not change either.................you don't really need sunglasses do you ?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:19 PM

Default glasses problem

You might want to try a pair of Ranger shooting glasses that are specifically designed for shooters with an adjustable bridge.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:34 PM

I'm same as etnhr Shot over 20 years without glasses with no problems at all Draw length fine and i haven't changed anything other than having to wear glasses past 5 or so years and nose bridge gets in way Guess I'll have to go with lazer one of these days Never wore contacts though would that solve the problem??

Gord
Old 06-04-2008, 03:13 PM

contacts would solve the problem as there is no nose bridge its just like not having glasses at all until your right eye contact slides a little and then its like not having anything at all and you back to square one not being able to see lol. I shoot with contacts the majority of the time and have never had a problem
Old 06-05-2008, 07:24 PM

TRY to square up to the target more and maybe use a nocking loop.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Gone Hunting

I replaced my peep site with one with correction lens build in....They offered few different of strength...worth to give a try..
Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
TRY to square up to the target more and maybe use a nocking loop.
It's a lot easier to square up to the target with the correct draw length
Old 06-06-2008, 12:57 AM

I agree with Russ. If you have to move your head to see through your glasses then something is not lineing up properly. most likely it is a draw length issue more than anything else. Most people shoot a bow that is usually to long for them to stand up squarely and this effects the way things are lined up. Either the draw length or the peep height might not be proper
I can shoot with my glasses on or with them off and nothing changes, my head and body stay square and the peep is at the proper height. makes a big diff to me it might solve your probs also, anything is worth a try to see if it works if it does not no harm in trying and alot less exspensive than lazer surgery
Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
I agree with Russ. If you have to move your head to see through your glasses then something is not lineing up properly. most likely it is a draw length issue more than anything else. Most people shoot a bow that is usually to long for them to stand up squarely and this effects the way things are lined up. Either the draw length or the peep height might not be proper
I can shoot with my glasses on or with them off and nothing changes, my head and body stay square and the peep is at the proper height. makes a big diff to me it might solve your probs also, anything is worth a try to see if it works if it does not no harm in trying and alot less exspensive than lazer surgery
What do you do about an oversized nose?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
What do you do about an oversized nose?
Cut it off!, no seriously it's usually an alignment issue that's often best fixed by making sure the draw length is right 1st. I've been shooting with glasses from day 1 which is going on 28 years now. I've never had the bridge of my glasses in the way unless my alignment was out of whack.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Cut it off!, no seriously it's usually an alignment issue that's often best fixed by making sure the draw length is right 1st. I've been shooting with glasses from day 1 which is going on 28 years now. I've never had the bridge of my glasses in the way unless my alignment was out of whack.
Hey Russ, you bring up a point I was making up top. If you never shot with glasses from day one then you do not have that to contend with. You develop your style with the baggage you have not what you don't have. You started shooting with glasses.....not I said the blind man lol. Shortening my DL won't change anything. I already have a nice bend in my bow arm. I can throw up may arm and anchor on my face, without a bow, to know that changing my DL won't accomplish anything but make my bow arm bend excessively.......shooting 20 years with the same anchor and I'm not about to change that so I can shoot with sunglasses that I don't need.

I don't have a big snoz btw. Maybe my whole face is misaligned? No problem, I know a bow hunter or two that will fix it for me .

You've made me all conscientous now...........I can't get rid of the sight of my nose in my peripheral vision...just the right side of it?......................dohhhhhhhhhhhhh right eye dominant

It's time for some happy emoticons.............

Old 06-06-2008, 02:54 PM

ehuntr, I changed my anchor last winter to suit one of my bows and to correct my draw length. I think you mentioned the 3 anchor points in an earlier post, this was / is my methodology depending on the bow. I've never had a lot of luck shooting bows under 36" until I changed. I have always been a nose, chin, peep shooter, but with the advent of ever shorter bows & the resulting acute angles I've had to give that up to maintain correct draw length. With my "target" bow (really it's a high braced hunter) I've had to convert to a peep, kisser, knuckle anchor. With that I've regained my consistency and I was shooting a good deal better until my shoulder flared up and the doctor sidelined me. The message here, the anchor you have isn't the be all, end all. Draw length on the other hand has way more to do with an archers success than many people appreciate. Top pro's will move their draw length in or out a 1/4" to achieve different types of holds. Draw length is that finicky, it's just that most people aren't good enough to notice the difference.

So, I guess what I'm saying here is that if the anchor needs to change to get better alignment, change the anchor.