Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 PM

Default Sight Aligment

I just bought a Martin Firecat Pro X and it shoots nice. I have a whisker biscuit on it and am shooting slick tricks for BHs. I just noticed that if I line up my peep sight and target at 30 yards the arrow is pointing at least 2 feet to the right of the target. I don't know if this is normal or what? I'm getting 3 to 4 inch groups at 40 yards and they are hitting in the same location as field points although a bigger grouping with the BH's. Is there something wrong or should I just shoot it the way it is??? Thanks for the help. Whitey.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 PM

Default tuning

The first thing to do is "paper tune" your bow. Take a look at the link here and start with that. Then at least you'll know your bow is set up properlyy and have fewer variables to work through.

http://www.papertuning.com/
Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 PM

Sorry forgot to mention that I did paper tune it at Spruce Grove Archery and it's bang on.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 PM

If its paper tuned perfectly and you're happy with the groups and point of impact, personally I think I'd just live with it / ignore it and use it as is.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:51 PM

I'm kinda leaning towards the if it ain't broke don't fix it rule also. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 PM

Last bow I owned looked the same, I just got good at ignoring the arrow and looked only at the sights. As long as it hit where I wanted, good enough.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 AM

field tips and broadheads... grouping in same place.....

then don't worry about it.... keep on shooting...

paper tuning is only the start, then there is walkback tuning, and group tuning then broadhead tuning....

You are at step four and it is working...... keep on shooting and smiling!....

The first ruleof archery is don't out-think yourself!....
Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 AM

It doesn't do any damage to start over again. I'm not sure of some things that you have described....i.e., when you line up your peep sight with your target......that should read when you align your peep sight to your sight pin on your target. You omitted to include the sight pin.

When installing an arrow rest I eyball the centre shot both vert/horz. Then I put on the sight and adjust the pins so that when an arrow is knocked and placed on the rest and the bow is held out at arms length....what I see is the sight pins and the entire length of the arrow is exactly down the centre of the string. Then I will paper tune it. The final outcome in any bow I shoot will always result in the sight pins and the arrow always down the centre of the string. RH shooters in some cases have the sight pins slightly to the left of the string...........not me..........the string, the pin, the arrow and the target are in alignment. An arrow should not be pointing two feet off the target. Play with it.....the more you play the more you understand/learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (6.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 05-15-2008, 11:03 AM

In the end it does not matter what the tune/alignment looks like....

Does the arrow go where you point it!....

I have bows that seem to like diffrent positions... my Martin impala lkes the arrow to line up left....

My guardian likes to be a bit inside....

My Apex 7 likes to be straight on etc.

There are a lot od variables with how one holds the bow... the main difference seems to be whether the grip is wide or narrow.. and how round it is!....

Sometimes things with archery just don't make sense and that is where over thhinking it comes in..... if it is not broken (arrow goes where it is pointed) don't fix it....

That being said it does no harm to start over from centershot... look in your bow manual but it may just be a whole waste of time and create other issues... arrow may be lined up but field points and broadheads group different etc.....

There is no good or bad form.... there is just consistent and inconsistent...

I usually look at the archer before i ever look at the bow. one can have a very consistent torque... but rarely will broadheads and field points impact the same place if that is the case....

the techniques I coach and teach are what has been found to bemost consistent on average... however everyone develops their own style of form that works for them.

9 out of 10 time the untined bow is usually a product of the "untuned" archer...

After all one archer won vegas with a majory untuned bow.... almost a 6" rip through paper!.... (he paper tuned after the shoot!)

But the bow and him were consistant!.....

keep shooting and smiling!....

I have a bow that the string tracks right to left as it is shot just because it is what it does and when i put the arrow on the rest it looks way out of whack.....

That bow has harvested a lot of game, and has won a few tourneys as well back in the day!.... that crazy bow has had everything but the riser changed... my wife even backed over it with the jeep and the stupid thing still shoots.... crazy things happen....