Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 09:20 AM
Suspended User

Default How many fatal overdoses in your world?

My son's group just buried their third friend, 2 he roomed with and one he grew up with. Plus throw in my best friend who was murdered that way. I can't get over these youth thinking its safe to buy pile off a dirt bag on the street. Is the only way to end this letting the dumb ****s die openly the only way others will learn? One of them was fed the pills by his older brother, here take another your not high enough yet.

Seems like the Seventies all over again.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:30 AM

A VERY nice man from this forum lost his son in this way. I have dealt with several. Why people need to do this is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-17-2019, 09:36 AM

Step daughter works placing at risk youth into temp homes in Calgary.She always carries Naloxone and has intervened in many highs that could have turned into overdoses.Has found 2 bodies in the last 3 years.These are all underage youth.

Last edited by omega50; 03-17-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:43 AM

I have not had any in my world yet.

Thoughts and prayers to all of you who have lost friends and family to this.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Default How many fatal overdoses in your world?

Sorry to hear about so many young people leaving too early. I had friends mess around in that scene and I am extremely thankful to have kept them all. That was about 10 years ago, I feel that it has become exponentially more risky now. It boggles my mind how people can ingest any white powder or similar compositions. With the amount of fentanyl that is found in every different “drug” is insane.

IMO people caught selling and distributing anything with fentanyl need to be gone for a very very long time. The charges for those crimes, and carrying illegal weapons are the two that infuriate me the most these days.

Also I hope no ones take this is me being perfect! I am far from it; I just kept my drug use to the green variety. Which also could catch up with me eventually, all be it in different ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Far too many in my world, the majority being prescription related .
Cat
Old 03-17-2019, 09:57 AM

A nephew of the wife's was found unconscious if his brother didn't call 911 and start CPR he would have been a goner, they found a fentanyl patch he was chewing on in his mouth.
This is a bookworm type kid in his 3rd year of forestry nobody even suspected he was doing drugs no idea where the patch came from.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:14 AM

I know of 2, one a son of a friend who OD'd last year, he died in his mid-20s. I never really knew him all that well, but spent enough time to develop an opinion of him. He came across as one of the nicest people someone could know, fairly talented at guitar and singing, good at sports, and fun to be around. Not sure where things went wrong for him, but I did hear that he had robbed a bank to feed his habit a few years ago, I'm not sure why he wasn't in jail, he'd probably still be alive.

Another OD death was just a friend of a friend, someone who seemed to be a "little off" to me, but I could never put the finger on why. Heard that she died alone in her basement apartment, kind of a sad way to go.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:19 AM

I'd never heard of fentanyl until dad got cancer, and it was amazing how that little patch helped him through his last days.

I don't personally know anyone who has died from it, my kids have thankfully always kept away from drug use (other than a brief experiment with marijuana)....and their friends they keep are the same.

Sad that so many are dying from it, yet it has its place helping those who are dying.

A person would have to be very casual about mortal danger to drop any pill bought on the street, or any drugs for that matter.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-17-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I have not had any in my world yet.

Thoughts and prayers to all of you who have lost friends and family to this.
X2.

I have a 20 yr old and 19 yr old who thankfully know the risks of drugs and don't use. I think about it from time to time and hope they will never lose a friend over it one day.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:37 AM

I'm sorry for anyone who has ever had to walk this road, and their family. I agree, fentanyl is an excellent medication used effectively in the field and in the hospital setting. But for the most part we are talking about the stuff from chinabuy.com (jk).
As an emergency worker I am NOT proud to say I have deal with this literally dozens of times, even only within the last couple years it has skyrocketed. Its been around for a while recreationally, but what has happened, is that the suppliers are putting more or stronger carfentanyl in street drugs, because it's cheaper and easier to acquire than the actual drug people were actually thinking they were getting (usually herion). Or you get the individuals who actively look for "tek", a mix of fentanyl and meth. So when naloxone is administered, you get an extremely combative and agitated individual. Extremely addictive, it's killed more young people than I could have ever imagined.
As they say these days, there is no heroin in heroin anymore. Affects people from every walk of life.
I have no answers.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:27 PM

Lost a few to heroin.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:04 PM

Thankfully none of my friends or family have succumbed to street drugs. Only one fellow I knew 20 years ago died of an overdose. But a few have died from alcohol abuse complications.

At 86 years old my mother was overdosed on opiods given to her by her doctor. She was low as 20% chance of survival but fortunately she pulled through. So it's not just street drugs, it's those damn doctors that are prescribing and injecting pharmaceuticals into our elders. I would love to meet up with that doctor in a dark alley and put a couple drops of liquid LSD 25 in his eyes and blow some peyote powder into his nose. Then flatten his nose. And the next day catch him again and feed him 3 ounces of nutmeg and flatten his nose some more. No pain killers for him. Fentanyl would be too quick of a death for the creep.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-17-2019, 01:24 PM
Gone Hunting

I know a few and it is tragic, and while I feel some sympathy, it still comes down to choices. Death is a high price to pay for wrong choices.

I have much more sympathy for the people left behind to deal with the pain of the loss and the guilt that they could have prevented it somehow.

I also save my sympathy for those families and friends who deal with the addicts in their lives. Families destroyed, children destroyed, financial ruin from trying to help, marriages destroyed, and at the end of the day the ROI is usually zero.

Addicts continue to be addicts until they die. They either get some kind of control or they OD.

The 'War on drugs" reminds me of Viet Nam. No winner cause no one wanted it to end. Too much money at stake.

Choices. If Gov't had made the hard choices then and now, we likely would not be having this conversation. Until they do, the casualties will just keep piling up.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-17-2019, 01:27 PM

The morning of June 28th at 7:45 am last year the RCMP called me at work to come get my 11 year old son. His mom was doing fentanyl with a guy at their house. My son woke up to a body with a sheet over it in their living room and EMS and RCMP members surrounding it. Dude overdosed. Toe tag dead. I placed a restraining order on my ex wife in my sons name and now have full custody. People need to sort priorities.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:42 PM

Wife is a paramedic. Those with spouses in that business know what I’m talking about. Personally though, just a guy in camp across the hall from me OD’d.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:00 PM
Banned

Had 4 friends die from it they all committed suicide. Fentanyl is today's gun or rope. Don't kidd yourself people see a painless easy way out. Not all leave notes.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
The morning of June 28th at 7:45 am last year the RCMP called me at work to come get my 11 year old son. His mom was doing fentanyl with a guy at their house. My son woke up to a body with a sheet over it in their living room and EMS and RCMP members surrounding it. Dude overdosed. Toe tag dead. I placed a restraining order on my ex wife in my sons name and now have full custody. People need to sort priorities.
My heart stopped.

I had to reread that, apparently I skimmed the first time and thought.....

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-17-2019, 02:20 PM
Banned

Lost a cousin who was always deep into that life.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My heart stopped.

I had to reread that, apparently I skimmed the first time and thought.....
Ahh I hear you Ken. All is good.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:20 PM

We almost lost a cousin yesterday. We did lose a cousin a few weeks ago. Intelligent kids (early 20s) with all kinds of potential.

This should be getting a lot more press and attention from the people we put in office in my opinion.

No idea what the answer is, I wish that these kids could get their hands on prescribed products from their doctor vs. getting it from the street. No need to blast me for the fact that a lot of the issues today come from prescription products, I get it, it is always terrible to watch dependancy.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
A VERY nice man from this forum lost his son in this way. I have dealt with several. Why people need to do this is beyond me.
Ken, big pharma got everyone addicted to oxies, they were perscribing it for literally everything, now it’s common place, and, ain’t enough they need harder stuff, it’s a progression I’ve seen guys first hand start on T1’s and go to the harder and harder stuff, the pinnacle is the fentanyl/carfentanyl, once you start using that “gear” your playin Russian roulette every time you use, I know a lot of “well to do” people who regularly use the mid level stuff, but if you don’t get off that garbage it’ll kill you, then you factor in all these indestructible kids experimenting with ma and pas “medicine”, opiate addictions are a horrible thing, and I would say well over 70% of prescriptions are being misused or are not needed, and the way our government treats this epidemic is a joke, there is no enforcement, no consequence, dealers run around with virtual impunity, and this is way worse than the 70’s, unless our government grows a back bone, this ain’t goin away anytime soon, and yes I’ve seen affect a lot of people, I won’t go into detail. Idiots who know nothing about addictions should not be calling the shots, would you get dang florist to fix your car?
This annoys me to no end, especially having been on the frontlines of addiction for 15+Years and, then abstaining, and recovering for 12 plus years (I will never be “recovered” as it were, i’ll Always be an alcoholic/user) people profiting from other people’s deaths, is sickening.............
Old 03-17-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Ken, big pharma got everyone addicted to oxies, they were perscribing it for literally everything, now it’s common place, and, ain’t enough they need harder stuff, it’s a progression I’ve seen guys first hand start on T1’s and go to the harder and harder stuff, the pinnacle is the fentanyl/carfentanyl, once you start using that “gear” your playin Russian roulette every time you use, I know a lot of “well to do” people who regularly use the mid level stuff, but if you don’t get off that garbage it’ll kill you, then you factor in all these indestructible kids experimenting with ma and pas “medicine”, opiate addictions are a horrible thing, and I would say well over 70% of prescriptions are being misused or are not needed, and the way our government treats this epidemic is a joke, there is no enforcement, no consequence, dealers run around with virtual impunity, and this is way worse than the 70’s, unless our government grows a back bone, this ain’t goin away anytime soon, and yes I’ve seen affect a lot of people, I won’t go into detail. Idiots who know nothing about addictions should not be calling the shots, would you get dang florist to fix your car?
This annoys me to no end, especially having been on the frontlines of addiction for 15+Years and, then abstaining, and recovering for 12 plus years (I will never be “recovered” as it were, i’ll Always be an alcoholic/user) people profiting from other people’s deaths, is sickening.............
Living on east hastings in the late 90's i loved the heroin. After a few years, i dropped it. I think it.can reallt.depend on the person. I like my percocet (oxycocet). Multiple surgeries and arthritis i find its the only pill that i can take that really helps. I take 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. 90 a month never more. And thats been my regiment for the last 3-4 years. However i cant get them perscribed due to my addiction history... so i obtain them illegally. I did invest in a chemistry set to ensure im getting whats expected. And always keep a nax kit around. Thats my story anyways. Guess most would cal me an addict, but its what keeps me going, i find living without serious pain makes my life better. For me, my business, my family and loved ones. Etc. Ive never once in 20 years thought about or had the urge to go from opiodes to harded drugs, been there done that.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I know a few and it is tragic, and while I feel some sympathy, it still comes down to choices. Death is a high price to pay for wrong choices.

I have much more sympathy for the people left behind to deal with the pain of the loss and the guilt that they could have prevented it somehow.

I also save my sympathy for those families and friends who deal with the addicts in their lives. Families destroyed, children destroyed, financial ruin from trying to help, marriages destroyed, and at the end of the day the ROI is usually zero.

Addicts continue to be addicts until they die. They either get some kind of control or they OD.

The 'War on drugs" reminds me of Viet Nam. No winner cause no one wanted it to end. Too much money at stake.

Choices. If Gov't had made the hard choices then and now, we likely would not be having this conversation. Until they do, the casualties will just keep piling up.
One can't help but wonder if we've created a society, where the stresses are so great, people are increasingly finding drugs are the only way to deal with life ??

Grizz
Old 03-17-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Living on east hastings in the late 90's i loved the heroin. After a few years, i dropped it. I think it.can reallt.depend on the person. I like my percocet (oxycocet). Multiple surgeries and arthritis i find its the only pill that i can take that really helps. I take 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. 90 a month never more. And thats been my regiment for the last 3-4 years. However i cant get them perscribed due to my addiction history... so i obtain them illegally. I did invest in a chemistry set to ensure im getting whats expected. And always keep a nax kit around. Thats my story anyways. Guess most would cal me an addict, but its what keeps me going, i find living without serious pain makes my life better. For me, my business, my family and loved ones. Etc. Ive never once in 20 years thought about or had the urge to go from opiodes to harded drugs, been there done that.

Very much respect your story and honesty.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Very much respect your story and honesty.
X2
Old 03-17-2019, 05:24 PM
Banned

I've read a few posts from old acquaintances that passed away. One recent one was from a family member pretending there was a heart issue. Heard that wasnt the case and that it was fentanyl.

Another super old acquaintance passed away from fentanyl and left 3 kids behind.

Wifes cousin died from fentanyl. His drug dealer didnt have any weed and offered him ecstacy. Turned out it was fentanyl.

I think if people looked passed the stigma and shared their stories that many people would be surprised how many people are dying from fentanyl. Many families aren't saying what happened or are too ashamed to share. Every walk of life is affected by this but many seem to think their somehow different.

I have regular chats with my teenagers on drug use and fentanyl specifically. It seems odd to have them so many times through the year but all it takes is one silly choice and your dead.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:40 PM

X3.

I don't understand why the police do not check 20 year olds driving $100,000 cars? I'm sure there is something going on when they are parked and vehicles keep pulling up beside them all night long. Or maybe i'm just an old grump?

Dodger
Old 03-17-2019, 07:06 PM

Lost my youngest son June 18, 2018 at the young age of 25. He had a tough time trying to get off the stuff but it turns your brain to mush. Horrible!!
When I finally got to my son the EMT attendees and RCMP said they found heroine, which I believed as my son told me that is what he was using. Several months later I received a call from the medical examiner, she proceeded to tell me that the tox report was that fentynal and meth was found in his blood. I truly believe that my son thought he was getting heroine but actually got far worse. My youngest son was murdred and not a thing I can or will be done. My son and many others.. so sad!! Nothing worse than losing one of your kids, I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. ����
If there is anyone that needs to talk I would be more than willing because I still need to..

He was my hunting partner, fishing partner, sledding partner and planned to groom him to take over the business. Miss you AJ, you will be on my mind until the day I die!
Old 03-17-2019, 07:27 PM

About a year ago a couple of guys I knew went from that chit.

I am glad I grew up in the 70's when getting high didn't involve the risk of dying.