Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2019, 09:35 AM

Default Buying a truck deck

I bought a new 1 ton in 2012, and put a SWS flat deck on it within a week of purchase. I need a deck so I can haul my SXS and pull trailer. I did my research at the time and the SWS for an all steel deck seemed the way to go. The problem with the deck is the damn thing is rusted and hardly any paint left, this started about 2 years after purchase. I chalk this up to improper primer and paint from the factory(I believe they are US made). Does anyone have any other recommendations on a deck this hasn't happened to? I'm going to replace this one eventually.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:46 AM

Have it removed, sand blasted and redone with a better paint process?

Or if cosmetics are important, get an alluminum deck and be done with it.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:02 AM

Not sure, but you could build a new one with wood any size you want.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:00 PM

SWS trailers and flat decks are about the worst trailer manufacturer I've had the "pleasure" of dealing with.

I had bought a new utility trailer and within three years there wasn't a spec of black paint left on it. Also, everytime I drove it down a gravel road 4 of the 6 marker lights would be blown out.

Those who have dealt with their service manager will know what a treat that is as well.

Bought an older SWS trailer (2003) years ago and there's no paint left on it, had fenders welded back on (twice), broken wires, blah blah the list goes on. Garbage.

Southland trailers higher end units seem to be holding up good for me so far, although they're not perfect either. But lightyears ahead of SWS trailers.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:50 AM

I would buy an aluminum deck. Hillsboro (sp?) is what I have and it’s been good. There’s a company in Edmonton making aluminum decks also but I don’t remember their name.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-17-2019, 07:55 AM

Always lots of decks for sale at Ritchie Bros sales that sell very reasonably. Some new mostly used so you could see how they are holding up after a couple years.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:35 AM

For aluminum decks, there's Express Customs in Parksville on Vancouver Island. They make very nice stuff. I've bought two welding truck decks from them.
Good excuse for a road trip as well.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHRVN View Post
For aluminum decks, there's Express Customs in Parksville on Vancouver Island. They make very nice stuff. I've bought two welding truck decks from them.
Good excuse for a road trip as well.
Yes these guys are good, dealt with them also top notch.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
Have it removed, sand blasted and redone with a better paint process?

Or if cosmetics are important, get an alluminum deck and be done with it.
This is the cheapest route unless you want to upgrade to Alum. Any sandblasting company will do it and put on some good industrial paint. But it's metal, road rash will always expose it somewhere and rust will come back.

Alum fades too, just have to make sure it's built strong enough so it don't start cracking around supports.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:19 PM

My hubby highly recommends Falcan Industries.

https://falcan.com/products/decks/
Old 03-17-2019, 10:43 PM

I have an aluminium deck from Silver Lake Mfg. in Idaho. He is just north of Cour'D'Laine. It has been a great deck. Now mind you I bought it in 2015 and the dollar was better. But the price was right too. Also has a ramp that can be widened for SXS or quad.

If you are truly worried about the paint and down the road then just buck up the extra and go aluminium. Money well spent.

I stopped at the Hillsboro plant last year when I was in Kansas. These are great decks as well. Wouldn't be scared to go that way either.

Be wary of the cheap aluminium's like the bradford. Very light material.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:14 PM

Probably look at sandblasting and repaint first. If it's more than the cost of a new deck I will look at aluminum.