Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2017, 06:06 PM

Default Requirement for tags?

Was out with a friend any my son on the weekend. On the way out we saw a F&W coming towards us and he flagged us down.

I had A tags and buddy had B tags for the lake in question. Neither of us had caught any walleye of the right size and we C&R the hammer handles so we left empty (pike is 1/63cm and over for this lake).

The F&W guy asked if my buddy had tags and to see them. He then asked me if I had tags. I asked him why he needed to see my tags to which he replied "What are you fishing for perch?"

I told him no, maybe I was going for pike though. He snorted and said "yeah right"

I gave him my tags and licenses and he checked the live wells and told us to have a nice day so we fired up the "CUMMINS" and left.

The guy seemed decent enough but I was a bit unsettled about the question of tags.

What if we had been C&R only? What if we had been going for pike because we didn't get the draw? Is there a rule that states you can only fish a draw lake if you have tags?
Old 07-06-2017, 06:19 PM

Not sure why he would ask to see tags. I refuse to get tags and C&R these lakes and have been checked a couple times. I just say no tags C&R only and they say ok and move on. Nothing illegal about C&R etc and no legal requirement to have tags.

Being defensive only makes you seem like you have something to hide though. I would have just shown him the tags and moved on...
Old 07-07-2017, 08:40 AM

Yeah, I don't see the big deal. I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought and certainly wouldn't think about posting about being asked. It happens.

I'm curious, did you ask why they wanted to see the tags?
Old 07-07-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Yeah, I don't see the big deal. I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought and certainly wouldn't think about posting about being asked. It happens.

I'm curious, did you ask why they wanted to see the tags?
Guess you didn't read the post.

I didn't say it was a big deal and posting this incident and resulting question on a fishing forum is certainly no big deal to me. Not sure why you would think otherwise but you're entitled to your opinion I suppose.

I wasn't defensive, I asked the guy why he needed to see my tags and he gave me a nonsensical answer. His request implied that I needed tags to be on the lake in question.

I thought maybe there would was a reason for him asking - seems not.

Hopefully this answer has addressed your curiosity.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Guess you didn't read the post.

I didn't say it was a big deal and posting this incident and resulting question on a fishing forum is certainly no big deal to me. Not sure why you would think otherwise but you're entitled to your opinion I suppose.

I wasn't defensive, I asked the guy why he needed to see my tags and he gave me a nonsensical answer. His request implied that I needed tags to be on the lake in question.

I thought maybe there would was a reason for him asking - seems not.

Hopefully this answer has addressed your curiosity.
Yeah, that helps for sure.

That is indeed strange the way this occurred. I'd probably do the same thing.
Guess I was jumping to some conclusions on why you posted. Sorry for the misread.

I probably would have told him to get bent and would have ended up having my boat searched.
If it happens to me I'll be asking why, in a nice way.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, that helps for sure.

That is indeed strange the way this occurred. I'd probably do the same thing.
Guess I was jumping to some conclusions on why you posted. Sorry for the misread.

I probably would have told him to get bent and would have ended up having my boat searched.
If it happens to me I'll be asking why, in a nice way.
Why would you have your boat searched? What is the reasonable cause? Participation is not "cause".

That particular world is full of "diks".
Old 07-07-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
Why would you have your boat searched? What is the reasonable cause? Participation is not "cause".

That particular world is full of "diks".
Just joking is all.

The main point being that I would not be impressed either if a CO asked to see my tags and indicated why else would I be fishing there if not to fill tags. I would find it hard not to tell him/her to take a flying....fish.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Just joking is all.

The main point being that I would not be impressed either if a CO asked to see my tags and indicated why else would I be fishing there if not to fill tags. I would find it hard not to tell him/her to take a flying....fish.
Guess I'm old and grouchy and missed the joke.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:26 AM

I would show my tags but would like to tell them to stuff it also. You don't need tags to fish any open lakes. C&R could be what your doing.
Almost like walking down the street and a cop stops and asks for your ID for no reason, as you were doing nothing wrong.

Were getting closer and closer to being a policed state.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.