Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2016, 09:48 PM

Default winter kill?

Read this news clip, is this a big deal?....or is it just media making news out of old news?

I'm new to the fishing scene.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...lake-1.3547422
Old 04-22-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha10oz View Post
Read this news clip, is this a big deal?....or is it just media making news out of old news?

I'm new to the fishing scene.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...lake-1.3547422
It's a big deal and not old news at all. If you do a bit of searching on here you will find lots of information, I am not the best source so I won't even try.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:19 AM

I read the article and it seams like aeration or lack there of is to blame. Winter kill isn't a new thing but this sounds like the new law to do with aeration is to blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2016, 08:57 AM

Lots of other threads you can find more information in. For summary though.

The law states if you create a hole through the ice then you are liable if someone falls in it. The law isn't new, it is decades old but last year for whatever reason ACA became more aware about it.

They decided to remove existing aeration equipment and replace with new equipment that wasn't supposed to cause open water. They were misinformed and the new equipment was still causing open water so they then shut them off or reduced their effectiveness so there would be no open water(just thin ice which imo is even more dangerous...).

Almost all of the lakes with these new aerators and some of the ones that didn't get new aerators died off either completely or at least partially.

Once they get stocked there will be new little stock to catch, just wont have the big fish that some of these lakes were known to have. It will take a few years for these lakes to recover and have big fish again, that is if they can get an aeration solution figured out...
Old 04-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Banned

One thing that has always puzzled me is why every report you read about this topic states that no-one has ever fallen through at or near an opening caused by aeration.
A couple years ago an elderly fellow who was a regular at Dolberg went through the thin ice close to the aerator. He was pulled out by other anglers. Perhaps they don't count the thin ice surrounding the open water?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
One thing that has always puzzled me is why every report you read about this topic states that no-one has ever fallen through at or near an opening caused by aeration.
A couple years ago an elderly fellow who was a regular at Dolberg went through the thin ice close to the aerator. He was pulled out by other anglers. Perhaps they don't count the thin ice surrounding the open water?
The law only refers to open water and I am sure many people have fallen through but it appears there has never been a court case on the matter.

That is something I actually really dislike about these new actions. I would much rather have an open water hole and visible sprinkler style aerator to warn me of thin ice then to potentially have thin ice and no warning signs of location.

There is no aerator at Dolberg so you must be thinking of a different lake. I know a guy fell through ice at Salters a couple years ago. Idiot was trying to ice fish in April on an aerated lake... I was hoping there was enough open water to kayak fish and I could see where he fell through and his gear left on the ice.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
The law only refers to open water and I am sure many people have fallen through but it appears there has never been a court case on the matter.

That is something I actually really dislike about these new actions. I would much rather have an open water hole and visible sprinkler style aerator to warn me of thin ice then to potentially have thin ice and no warning signs of location.

There is no aerator at Dolberg so you must be thinking of a different lake. I know a guy fell through ice at Salters a couple years ago. Idiot was trying to ice fish in April on an aerated lake... I was hoping there was enough open water to kayak fish and I could see where he fell through and his gear left on the ice.
You are right, I got lakes mixed up, it was Salters. I saw that elderly gentleman and his wife quite a few times when I fished Salters regularly. Remember they used Bar b cue covers as mini ice tents. I also remember that at the time he fell through there was still plenty of people fishing on good ice. He just got to close to the edge of open water.