Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2016, 11:38 AM

Default Winchell

Saw from an earlier post that fyten reservoir winter killed. Any news on Winchell lake? Thats my second choice for going out with my belly boat this weekend.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfong View Post
Saw from an earlier post that fyten reservoir winter killed. Any news on Winchell lake? Thats my second choice for going out with my belly boat this weekend.
I'm taking my yak there too... I guess we'll find out!
Old 04-12-2016, 01:30 PM

I may be going out there before the weekend. I'll let you know if you needs your skates or not, lol.
Goose
Old 04-12-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
I may be going out there before the weekend. I'll let you know if you needs your skates or not, lol.
Goose
Thanks.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:24 AM

I always just assumed it winter killes as i have never have caught any fish out of there that would suggest its older than a year or two.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:45 PM

Heading out tomorrow. I hope the ice is off...
Old 04-15-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I mapped the majority of winchell from a pontoon a few years ago. The trout generally hole up in the deepest parts, which are castable from shore.

May I ask how you did that Jet?
Old 04-16-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I put sidescan and sonar on the pontoon, got blown around the lake in 60kph winds, with an electric trolling motor acting as propulsion, and recorded it on the Lowrance HDS.

Then a few years later they came out with Insight Genesis, and I uploaded the sonar logs I had kept, ergo one map.

Now I do the mapping from a bigger power boat.

And, in case the question was because....

*** No motor boats / gas power is allowed on Winchell lake, if you plan to take a boat on, electric or human powered only ***
Man oh man am I ever behind the times! Thanks Jet! I had no idea the technology was so advanced.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:07 PM

Made it to Winchell today. No ice, hot, small breeze, fished from my belly boat for a couple hours. Nada. Shore fshermen said a few were caught last weekend.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:29 AM

Was out Saturday on my fishing kayak. Saw one fish landed... too bad it wasn't me landing it... lol
Old 04-18-2016, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the tip Jet!
Perhaps we'll see you out there one day.
Look for a camo Old Town Predator 13 fishing kayak... that'll be me likely...
Cheers!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:01 PM

Of the few fish that still remain in this lake this time of year, how big are they? I know they are tiny when stocked, but by the end of the open water season some of them are getting to decent sizes. So im curious how much they have grown since then. Hoping to make it out this week in the float tube!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:37 AM

Default Winchell

Thought I would jump in on this one as I have been fishing Winchell lake for over 25 years. Both of my kids learned to fish there as soon as they were out of diapers.

I have a 12 foot tinner with a 36lb elec motor I only troll using a gang troll and wedding bands of various colors and styles, I also use a couple of small egg weights above the gang troll to get it down a bit. Add a worm or any color of the doughy power bait works as well White Orange Green. I find slow trolling works best I usually circle the lake, try and stay about 10 feet off shoreline when you can.

I have never caught a fish before it has been restocked. Once stocking has been completed you can't keep the little ones off to try for the bigger ones. I usually only fish Winchell in late Sept or into Oct weather permitting. Usually around this time you can expect to catch fish in the 10" to 12" size they are scrappy and lots of them like to jump out of the water when hooked.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:38 PM

Have they already stocked it?? I was out in the float tube last night from 6-9. No larger fish caught from the previous year, however there were tons of these little guys rising along shore. So small they were hard to catch. I managed to get a hand full of them on #18 drys. They were these small 3" rainbows. They seamed smaller than they usually stock, which has me wondering if they were in fact stocked fish or not?? Does this lake naturaly reproduce, so could these tiny fish just be that?? Either way there were tons of them, like the water was boiling along the shore at times. Fun evening, along with the beaver, Great blue heron, loons, and a friendly moose.